back to article Underwear obligatory for Florida city workers

The council of Brooksville, Florida, has clamped down on malodorous city employees sporting Spandex halter tops and exotic piercings while further prejudicing the town's "public image" by turning up for work without underwear. The new dress code specifically mandates the use of deodorant, while banning "distracting, offensive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Your alien overlord - fear me

pants

to that !!!!

2. Neil Greatorex
    Coat

Braless Spandex Halter tops

Wot no pictures. How remiss of you, El Reg.

Heh, a quick google image search (http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=Braless+Spandex+Halter+tops&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=) probably explains the lack of pics.

Barbra Streisand's baps :-(

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Reminds me of Bananas by Woody Allen

Don't know if anyone remembers the mad dictator (castro type) decrees underwear must be worn on the outside so it's cleanliness can be checked.

America - a good reason for the Atlantic Ocean

Just checking the invisible woman has her undewear on

4. Darren Barratt
    Happy

Job opportunity

Let me be the first to throw my hat in the ring for the position of bra checker.

5. npupp 1

pants to this!

RIP Hooters (well Floridan Hooters), purveyers of some of America's finest....er....buffalo wings. In a whoelsome family freindly restaurant. Naturaly.

Oddly, this makes McDonalds seem at the forefront of customer service policy. Not only must pants be worn, but they must be worn inside of the trousers.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Too right!

...while operatives must cover tattoos and "cuts and wounds".

You certainly wouldn't want an exposed gash on public view!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

How are they going to verify

That I am not wearing low visibility under garments?

8. David S

The town's public image

I promise this is true: I read "pubic image" in the first paragraph.

Changed the tone of the article, although not the overall meaning.

9. Samo
    Happy

Job creation

Where do I apply?

Oh, and my uhh, religion forbids me to take a gander at another gent's lack of undies, therefore I can only work on the female of the species.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Reminds me of the good old days

When I joined the military, there was still an entry in Queen's Regulations that referred to "Underwear Inspections". An officer was supposed to arrange inspections under this regulation to check on cleanliness and state of underwear of his troops. Furthermore, you were supposed to ensure that appropriate materials were available for inspection of underwear.

A friend of mine once posted in his hangar that he was going to have an inspection under QR 2024. The airmen went off to look up the Queen's Regulation in question and were somewhat surprised to find out that they were going to have their underwear inspected.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good

Because few people actually look good with excessive metalwork or exposed flesh (me included)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

So will they be having

Knicker inspection each morning? What a total bummer!

13. John Bayly

@Neil Greatorex

You could do an image search for Charlie Dimmock. I'll let you do it yourself.

14. WonkoTheSane
    Paris Hilton

@npupp 1

Your "Buffalo Wings" are safe.

The story refers to a dress code for "City Workers" ie. Council employees, not the entire workforce of the area.

Paris - because she'll never work there again!

15. Graham Marsden
    Coat

@Reminds me of the good old days

> A friend of mine once posted in his hangar that he was going to have an inspection under QR 2024.

You sure that wasn't a Space Corps Directive...? ;-)

16. Andy Barber
    Heart

I for one...

... welcome our underwear overloads!

17. anarchic-teapot

Hope we'll get a followup

on how many people object to the ruling on the grounds that wearing underwear is against their religion, or produce a medical certificate stating they can't wear tight clothing such as bra and/or knickers.

Personally I reckon dressing in a boring and conventional manner would be worse for the reputation of a sunny place like Florida, but then again it *is* in a state once run by a Bush, so presumably that's something they'd like to cover up.

18. Nuno

they should have been more explicit...

because, there are ways, you know...

http://www.interknickers.com/naughty_but_nice.php

19. Chris C

I'm speechless

Wow, and here I thought society was becoming a little more sane. Apparently not. I think they just stepped back about 20-30 years. Who's going to determine what is "offensive" or "revealing"? Muslims think that anything which doesn't cover 98% of the female form is both offensive and revealing, which would include everything worn by virtually every US citizen. And what about women with A or AA cup breasts (or even smaller)? Is the city actually saying that their breasts are so distracting that they need to wear a bra to prevent their massive mammaries from drawing so much attention? How long before they specify what style of underwear you must use? For example -- no thongs, g-strings, or bikini-cut panties, no strapless, racerback, or crisscross bras, etc.

As for tattoos -- they aren't the pariah of society that they once were. Tattoos have become commonplace, used as a fashion accessory by many people, and I don't know a single person who is offended or "put off" by them. Piercings can be a different story, depending on the location of the piercing. I'm surprised I didn't see a mention of earlobe-stretching hoops, as that is gaining popularity among some of the population.

How much longer until the city takes another step back and says that women must refrain from entering the workforce?

20. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Must be a slow news day... oh yeah, it's Friday

I don't see why this is so exciting. Everyone is reporting on this.

This is just so people can look professional, and give a reason to sack them if they don't.

I'm just glad I don't have to look at plumber's butt and tramp stamps, and deal with a smelly git at the counter that looks like he just quit his other job at the circus.

The counter people around here do NOT look like Paris, and I don't want to see their 50 year old deflated funbags, thank you very much.

21. David 45

New job

I wish to apply for the position of bra inspector.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

not only no piccies

But no playmobil. I'm surely disappointed. I'm not sure Optimus would approve.

23. WhatWasThat?
    Joke

@ QR 2024

Anime fans around the globe are now waiting eargerly for the result of what QR 2501 is....

24. Joe H.
    Flame

95 degrees Fahrenheit = 35 degrees Celsius...

...is the average daytime temperature in Brooksville, FL during this time of year.

I was just there today, and I can tell you firsthand it is like being in an oven outside of the air conditioned buildings.

It is cruel that they are telling city employees to dress appropriately as just about everyone I saw was wearing as little as possible outdoors. Girls in bikini tops and guys going shirtless in shorts, etc. Ah, Florida in the summer, good times.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cover wounds?

Fuck that, I'm proud to have got to work dripping blood before. It shows I'm dedicated.

26. porkfat

Gotta admire...

.. the zealots that don't understand concepts like 'nipple bras'.

Get a life, people!

27. Oldfogey
    Happy

Gender Bender

And do they have rules for women as well?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

'operatives must cover tattoos and "cuts and wounds"'

I guess burqas are -in- if you cut your cheek while putting up some fencing!

29. Andus McCoatover
    Coat

Tits oot..

..fer the lads.

Guess a "Builders Cleavage" gets 'em sent to Shawshank*.

Mind, Batman's/Robin's/Superman's earlier incarnation would've been OK. They wore their underpants on the outside. Inspection unnecessary. Skidmarks obvious.

Also, try http://listentothepeople.co.uk/component/content/article/24-wild-imaginings/353-the-bottom-inspectors-from-viz.html

* Look it up. Fantastic film. Can't get over it, 3 months after viewing.

30. Michael 28
    Coat

This is standard practice ...

...in a lot of companies these days. While I don't like the banning of revealing outfits per se, it might cut down the harassment suits. The deodorant policy is a good idea only if everyone drives to work in air conditioned humvees and those that cycle to work and have onsite access to showers and decent sized lockers.

Sadly, joined-up thinking isn't usually a common company trait (common as in "sense")

IMO, if a company tells you how to dress, what you wear at work should never equate to "what you wore TO work"

The best way around this dress code is to state in the job interview that you're a keen amateur naturist (after weighing up their native intelligence) .Did this once for a job I had no intention of taking and near soiled myself as my interviewer said she spent quite a bit of time in the garden herself , especially this weather ...etc , etc.

Mine's the "anarchy in the uk " cardigan .Ta!

31. Jonathan McColl
    IT Angle

What about my kilt?

If I worked there I'd expect to be allowed to wear my kilt and there is a special dress code for these which supersedes any other.

And everything under mine is in perfect working order thank you (or so people tell me).

32. Michael 28
    Happy

re:What about my kilt?

My boss told me it was ok, as long as it's formal clan tartan (no camouflage..)....and no scian dubh!

33. skeptical i
    Thumb Down

What if piercings can not be removed ...

... or rather, removed easily without special pliers or other tools? Do the pierced ones lose their jobs? If so, is it fair to spring this on them NOW, after they've been offered and accepted the jobs (presumably after having endured the application and interview process with jewellery installed)? And why are earrings exempt? Will men with B-cup or larger he- boobies be required to wear bras (and if not, why not?)? I suspect this decision will cost more in city attorney time than it's worth -- rejoice, o taxpayers of Brooksville, Floriduh!

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thak Om it's Florida, not California...

"multiple violations could result in disciplinary action up to and including termination"

"Hasta la G-string, baby!"

This topic is closed for new posts.