back to article Be broadband denies BitTorrent ban

Be broadband has denied accusations from customers it is blocking access to popular BitTorrent trackers including Pirate Bay and Mininova. Reports that several trackers were unavailable began to emerge yesterday morning. The problems are understood to be ongoing. In the wake of the forthcoming anti-piracy measures announced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 47

It better be a bug

I'm with Be and even though I actually never use BitTorrent or download movies (honest!) if this sort of shit starts happening I'll change provider.

2. Benny
    Black Helicopters

Hmmmm

I've noticed over the past couple of days that if I start up Transmission, give it a few minutes, my connection seems to drop and I have to restart the router...wonder if its connected...

3. Paul Nolan 1
    Thumb Up

On Be here

And all seems well.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably...

...their shocking DNS servers and often dodgy routing. DNS servers are unusable most of the time.

5. bubblegun

bittorrent trackers?

Mininova don't run a tracker, they just index torrents on public trackers.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not the biggest problem Be needs to address

After three or four months of absolutely faultless service from Be, I'm now getting three or four messages a week from them saying my Internet service will be unavailable from midnight through to about six am. Each time I am told it's for necessary improvements and this is the last time it will happen. So far these improvements have only be noticeable by their absence.

Any other Be customers getting these interruptions?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Grrrrr Blocked

I'm on O2 and get

'Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.'

If I try to access mininova or TPB

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Christ

You should see some of the deluded halfwits on the forum pages of Be "It's a conspiracy!!!", ignoring the fact that the majority of tracker sites are situated in roughly the same place. Please don't add flames to their fire by reporting this nonsense!

9. mrjamin

To be fair to Be

I've had a number of isolated routing problems to various subnets in the states for well over a year now. I buy their explanation

10. Oli 1

Great tech support call

User: My internet isnt working

Support: whats the problem

User: i cant illegally download anything!

Support: Sorry about that, we'll get right on it!

User: Damn Straight!

love it!

11. Martin 19
    Alert

As a Be subscriber

At the time of writing I'm having no problems accessing TPB or Mininova; but if they became blocked I would change my provider in a heartbeat to one which did not block them.

Is it me or has Be's quality of service been declining recently anyway? I'll have to see how things develop over the next few months and maybe consider changing.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

IT does appear to be true

Thank god for DHT, LPD, Peer Exchange and other (better) trackers :)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

orealy

Uh huh...

I was looking at Pirate Bay yesterday for erm... research purposes. No problem for Zen internet's users.

Routing problems my arse, do they think we were born yesterday? Who the hell has "routing problems" that prevents people accessing sites with certain content.

That sir, is content filtering being tested.

14. Stef 2
    Flame

Be blocking

One of the reasons I chose Be was that they were one of the few with genuinely unrestricted broadband - yesterday The Pirate Bay, Mininova and TheBox were all dead (although isoHunt was okay)

Very suspicious but we'll just have to wait and see, if they do start restricting what I can access I'll go elsewhere.

15. Andy 22

I'm actually inclined to believe them right now

I've had a bit of trouble getting to a few sites this morning. Guess when you know you're doing something wrong, it's easy to jump to conclusions.

Besides, Demonoid still works for me. Hard to see how they'd miss that one, if they were killing torrent sites. Still, jury's out I guess.

16. Jon Hill
    Coat

As a Be user myself...

It seems fairly pointless for Be to try and block BitTorrent sites. Their Thomson/Alcatel routers regularly lock up because they can't cope with all the open sockets anyway, even when trying to download legal torrents (ie popular Linux distros). But at least blocking the trackers MIGHT absolve them of any legal responsibilities...

The one with the working ADSL2+ router in the pocket, please...

17. Be* customer No. 152353422
    Thumb Down

Routing problem???

Anyone know of a NON torrent site being blocked by this 'routing problem'.. Those in power in Be* HQ aren't saying..... Still smells of fish..............

18. IR

Be?

Stupid name for a company.

19. Tom 15

Nah

Will everyone stop jumping down the throats of the UK's one decent ISP or you'll end up getting what you keep moaning about. Be don't traffic shape, they don't block content outside of the IWF watchlist, all that's happened is that some iffy sites have got misrouted.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Mike Richards

Yeah been getting them too, however rarely seems to go down for more then a few minutes over that time span.

My money is on they're installing DPI.

21. Rob 115

On be, piratebay ok

I'm on be. Just checked, and all seem ok here.

I hope it is an error for the others. If they are testing filtering kit, i'll be switching for sure.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Bastards!

With Be* here; can't access pirate bay of mininova websites, however, I've tested several other sites hosted in sweeden with no problems whatsoever.

Time to go make a big noise in the Be* support forums!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Be customer No. 152353422

"Anyone know of a NON torrent site being blocked by this 'routing problem'.. "

fok.nl

gamer.nl

"Those in power in Be* HQ aren't saying....."

Perhaps they're fixing the problem instead of pandering to conspiracy theories??

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No problems so far... Except for

I haven't had any problems with thoes sites or trackers at all so far, however since they have done upgrade work about 2 months ago I have noticed a reduction in speed and a increase in latency. Upgrade my balls.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Other sites....

Hmmm... I can confirm that fok.nl and gamer.nl are also unreachable, could be a routing problem after all...?

26. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

bit torrent =/= illiegal downloads

I've definately managed to download things without breaking the law. I don't use bittorrent much at all, I'm not a freetard, but when my CD player scratched two(well I thought it was my fault when the first one happened but a second deep scratch at 2.30 on both CDs?) of my CDs and made the first tracks unplayable (rest was okay though), I was able to find mp3 versions. And if that is illegal, lets face it, it really shouldn't be.

So anyway, I could argue it's a useful service that does good. Though I admit I'd be overlooking most of it's use.

27. BlueEther
    Boffin

other .se sites

there are plenty of other .se sites that aren't working atm for customers on a 78.xx.xx.xx IP. It really does look like a routing issue.

/me hugs his Be* line

28. Adrian Taylor
    Go

all ok here on Be

I have been with Be for about a year now, no problems with bandwidth or BT or accessing TPB/demenoid etc

sounds like the usual false alarm... yet another conspiracy theory...

29. Gilbo
    Thumb Up

@Tom 15

Bingo. Well said, mate.

30. Stef 2

Working... for now

After a day and a half it's started working again.

31. BlueEther

routing is back

routing is back, lets hear a sorry from all the doomsayers...

32. Robert Hill
    Pirate

Not a Be consipiracy...

If it was, they would do more than block the trackers, they would block the torrent traffic...

Let's see - Vuze says all's clear and has been.

@Mike Richards - Be often sends out repeated notices of projected service outages, when you get multiple notices, it is most likely still ONE outage from what I have seen. YMMV, but after a longish time with them I have noticed they tend to over-warn, and under-outage...

The Pirate, well, just because!

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Benny

"my connection seems to drop and I have to restart the router...wonder if its connected..."

Most people would wonder that and check whether it's still plugged in *first*. Forget all the tired coat comments - I'm guessing your hat's the woolly one?

34. Craig 12

"I have noticed a reduction in speed and a increase in latency. "

Classic sign your bits are now being given the once-over before being passed on?

35. Anonymous Coward
    Go

fixed

just a routing issue

"It appears the problem was with the routing to/from one of our Peers on AMSIX (Amsterdam internet exchange) affecting certain IP ranges.

This would have affected any sites who we connected to via that particular Peer, It may have also affected some other sides if they used that peer to route back to us.

They've confirmed that they've now fixed the problem so it should all be working again."

so you can all stop worrying now no blocking at all

we had a issue at work once and it affected a peering we had with the planet and people thought we where blocking US sites, just was sites hosted with the planet but got sorted out fairly quicky

36. Sean Aaron

Other than the odd routing issue no problems.

I don't use the services indicated, but I have seen issues in the past month with timeouts hitting sites, so if they have a routing problem and are fixing it I'm happy!

37. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

BE isn't as good as it was

I don't use P2P, but newsgroup usage is now shockingly slow for me and I don't even use the binary groups.

Time for me to move I think.

Anyone got any suggestions?

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Be might need to rename themselves, "Was"

I joined Be after they were acquired by O2 but when the old management and staff were still there. I have a long line but the speed was better than I expected and they were very reliable. they never slowed down in the evenings.

However, I understand that all the old management have gone since O2 launched the service under their own brand, and earlier this year there was a clear out of the middle ranking people, including the customer services people who listened to and engaged with the customers. There has also been a noable drop in the quality of service, though I won't say it's bad yet. I've got friends onto Be and they're finding it the same.

So I think Be is now well and truely being absorbed by the O2 mindset and it won't be long before O2 wonder why they offer the same service over two brands, with two sets of staff, and Be will disappear.

Shame, all the good ISPs fall apart in the end (Pipex, Nildram, Entanet, etc) while the bad ones hurple along year after year.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like