back to article Archos claims crown for 'world's slimmest' netbook

The Archos 10 was first leaked back in January, and now, five months on, manufacturer Archos has unveiled the netbook’s follow-up model: the 10s. Archos_10s_01 Archos' 10s - the 's' stands for slim Archos said that the ‘s’ stands for slim, because its latest 10-series netbook is thinner than the earlier model's 28mm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. handle
    Stop

"An increase in storage capacity would have been nice"

Yes, An increase in storage capacity WOULD have been nice, but surely that's purely down to diktat from Microsoft that XP can't be provided on machines with more than 160GB drives?

Thank you, Microsoft.

2. Daniel 2 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

BOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRING

Yawn. Drab product, mediocre spec, uninspired colours, nothing to see here.

And given that this is a netbook* it's probably not a Sony VAIO power button, more likely a Samsung NC10 power button....

Basically this is why we need Apple - they produce products which inspire others to strive for something above the ordinary.

And I'm not even an Apple fan.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's lovely

I have no need for a 'full' notebook but a netbook is tempting, especially as I do a lot of walking and landscape photography, I'd like to view photos on the move.

This machine is lovely but, as I'm an Apple Whore, I wouldn't buy anything with a Microsoft OS on it; I'm holding out for a mythical Apple netbook. If that doesn't happen I'll be going for Linux.

4. Haku
    Thumb Down

Wot no SSD?

Is it me or have all the netbook manufacturers dropped SSD in their current/future machines?

When this Eee 900 gives up the ghost (or more likely, I tire of it) the replacment will have to have an SSD because I don't believe a spinny disc storage netbook would survive the day-to-day travelling my Eee 900 does (and previously Eee 701 before I retired it).

5. Elsie
    Gates Halo

I wonder ...

... if we'll have to pay extra for any codecs or a web browser like we do with all other Archos products?

/Flippant

6. Steve Evans

Hmmmm...

I used to like Archos, their early mp3 players were rather fun. I've still got a Gmini 120.

One of it's best features is it's ability to record from a line in.

I'm in the market for a new one with line in record, and having given up trying to navigate their website I email them several times to ask.

They never bothered to reply.

I know they're French, and we should expect a lack of manners, but if they do still have such a product they've lost a sale.

7. Charles Calthrop
    Thumb Down

expect to see lots of foaming at the mouth on teh bbc?

Given the fuss the beeb made over the macbook air's slimness, when apple announced that it was width over length that counts, it will be interesting to see whether they hurl themsleves with the same elan into a cluster wank over this.

8. Ben Bradley
    Jobs Horns

Another one

Nope, looks like I'll still be buying an Asus 1005HA-M once it arrives end of July.

10hr battery life sounds great... Reg did a review of the 1000HE and found the quoted battery stat of 9.5hrs would be realistic for general web/document use.

All these recent Asus models have really blown the HP Mini 2140 out of the water as my future netbook of choice!

One thing I don't get... why not use a 7.2k RPM drive?

Only slightly more expensive but same power consumption (in the case of Hitachi)

That's one upgrade I'll be making immediately (as well as upping to 2GB RAM)

Thin ain't a big deal for me so I'll be ignoring this Archos I think

9. Adrian 1

Oh dear

tried the 10 - returned it because the keyboard is from a ZX-81/Spectrum. This keyboard looks the same.

As for storage - SSD cost money and performance is abismal. 160Gb is dictated by the manufacturers (Fujitsu etc), not Microsoft.

And anyway,its a netbook, why do you need that much storage ?

10. Nicolas Charbonnier

Price has been announced

Suggested retail price will be 379 euros/dollars for the 3-cell battery model and 399 euros/dollars for the 6-cell battery version.

11. handle

@Adrian: Microsoft's restrictions on netbooks with XP

"160Gb is dictated by the manufacturers (Fujitsu etc), not Microsoft."

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20080903PD217.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like