back to article Futurama back from dead again

Futurama is to return with 26 new episodes, six years after Fox first cancelled the animated show. Comedy Central, which previously commissioned four feature-length specials, will begin screening the new half-hour shows of the animated series on US cable TV next year, following the agreement of a deal between Fox and Comedy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan 73

Bender

Does this mean I don't have to make my own Futurama, with blackjack and hookers?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May I be the first (probably not) to say....

kiss my shiny metal butt.

3. Rob
    Go

YAY!

Pass me some Slurm!

4. Martin Lyne
    Go

Cool

Hopefully be better than the movies though. They seriously lacked in laughs for the most part.

The ending of teh last implied something new for the franchise.. but I doubt it'll carry over (maybe first new episode)

Next up: FIREFLY, BITCHES.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the words of Dr. Zoiberg...

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay!

That is all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good news, everyone!

This has got to be a better move than unpicking the DVD movies and turning them into some uneven episodes, although once again Fox prove themselves to be clueless morons who deserve nothing more than to be ground down into a fine pink powder.

8. Lunatik
    Thumb Up

Sweet Zombie Jesus!

Great news, anything that puts more Morbo on the box has to be a good thing.

9. mark 63 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Good news everyone!

Good news everyone!

now bring back Firefly too

10. h00f zillá
    Thumb Up

A title is required.

Good news!

"Hey, what kinda party is this? There's no booze and only one hooker."

11. Feef Lovecraft
    Thumb Up

This is how

Whine whine whine Sarah Connor/Fringe/etc, etc, etc.

Shut up and pay attention, this how to revive your show, like family guy, like futuruama show the network that there's money in it.

12. Jon Pain
    Thumb Up

The should now resurrect

Firefly, the brilliant Sci-Fi - Western from Joss Whedon!

13. Shades
    Thumb Up

Good news people...

but it bloody ruins my complete series box set though. The recent specials were sold as films, even though they were shown as half-hour episodes on TV, so the box set claim of "complete series" was just about holding on! This completely buggers it! Ah well, what do I care...

FUTURAMA IS BACK BABY!!!

14. Tony S

Call me Cynical

I actually liked the programme - I thought it had some good plots. Plus Leela was quite fit!

However, the real reason that they are bringing it back? The same reason that we see so many other "sequels" and "remakes" - they are running out of fresh ideas. In addition, the men in suits don't want to take a chance on new formats in case they tank.

327 channels and nothing on.

15. Colin Miller
    Thumb Up

Sara Conner

Hopefully strong ticket sales for Terminator:Redemption will encourage Fox to commission new series of The Sara Conner Chronicles

16. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge

Buy Johnson's Teeth!

The only teeth strong enough to chew other teeth!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

All hail the Hypno-toad

18. Luis Ogando
    Heart

Is it just me or....

.. does anyone else find Leela strangely alluring....

19. Yorkshirepudding
    Go

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Puny humans today were elated by the news!

epic wins all round folks

20. Thomas 4
    Boffin

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

<glare>

21. Liam Tipler

yeah....

firefly and 4400!

why do they can the good stuff and keep pumping out the shite?

22. Wade Burchette

Excellent ...

Oh wait, that was the other Matt Groening show.

In any event, it has to be better than the movies.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Me want snoo snoo!!

Morbo the Annihilator also approves

24. Dave 129
    Heart

Yay!

Woo hoo! That is the best news so far this week :) I can't wait. Futurama rules.

25. Hermes

Yippee

I'm happier than a greensnake in a sugarcane field!

26. mark l 2 Silver badge
    Happy

everybody loves hipno toad

Perhaps the hipno-toad has brought the TV execs round.

Good news for the fans, ie me

27. Olaf 1
    Thumb Up

And

You've watched it, you can't unwatch it.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Fry being frozen

Without meaning to nit pick too much, it was wasn't an accident Fry was frozen, Nibbler did it!

Not that is really matters, the main thing is we'll be seeing one of the best animated shows back on our screens.

Long live the Hypno-toad

29. Tom 15

Good news but...

...I hope they actually make them funny. The movies were seriously crap. Better to let it die than keep it going on like the Simpsons!

30. Scott 19
    Happy

Nice

Just have to get the box sets for Xmas so i can catch up before next year.

31. David S
    Happy

May I be the first...

...to welcome our shiny-metal-assed overlord.

32. Lexxy

Great bongo in the congo!

Argh! My Bones!!

My one regret is... that I have... boneitis.

33. Dave Ross
    Happy

I for one welcome..

the return of hypnotoad....

34. Paul Hates Handles

In fact...

...forget the futurama and the blackjack. I'll just take the hookers.

Seriously awesome news :)

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

Hooray, they're too lazy to think up anything new so they are going to recycle a cartoon for us for another thrimptyfivesquillion episodes so we can have yet more endless repeats.

36. dan russell

About time

Now howsabout re-commissioning Eli Stone...

37. Marvin the Martian
    Flame

Sweet gorilla from Manila

Who said the movies weren't that funny? They were atrociously, heartstoppingly unfunny, is what they were.

I tried to sit through the first one, and halfway I realized I hadn't laughed, grinned nor vaguely smiled up to then --- it was just a set of cruder reruns of older jokes, with some efforts at slapstick, as if some suit thought "a dash of S P will perk up this thing; ah screw that, let's just have people falling down stairs". Even if the rest were comic masterpieces, on average it would be bad... I dunno, don't have the time to waste, they've all credit burned up (while I'm an owner of a boxed-set first four series), and flicks removed from my LoveFilm queue.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re: Cool

"Hopefully be better than the movies though. They seriously lacked in laughs for the most part."

Could they be any worse? Really?

After enduring "Bender's Big Score" I was beginning to think that the writers had been afflicted by brain slugs.

39. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Is it just me or....

It's the Reg, you silly, Leela is what half the commentards see when they close their eyes to go to sleep.

Hello little man. I WILL DESTROY YOU.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good News Everyone!

Huzzah!

just hope they're better then the mini movies. first one was good for a chuckle but the others seemed like they had the same non existant dry wit that the simpsons has been peddling for a few years.

futurama was funny in its day and still is now. i hope it remains so!

"she's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro"

41. Sarah Davis
    Coat

Fox wouldn't know good television if...

...it bit their fat dull meatridden butts.

Yee-ha, once again clueless Fox execs are guided to the light by the actual desires of the people. Hope that catches on over here, who knows we may even get some good TV out of it

go Beneder, go Bender

(mines the one with the finglongerer in the pocket)

42. Stevie

Bah!

*Yawn*

Why on Earth whould anyone watch this waste of good ink?

The jokes have already appeared on The Simpsons years ago.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Luis Ogando - does anyone else find Leela strangely alluring....

I've had my eye on her.....

44. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Woohoo

My second favourite Cartoon is coming back...

That + Family guy = life complete.. well actually all they need to do now is bring back Firefly :D

45. Combat Wombat
    Alien

Leela hot?

I would go with Leela, but I'd be thinking of Amy..

46. NoCo37
    Go

FInally

i need more Dr. Zoidberg in my life!I

"it's been years since medical school, so remind me. Disemboweling in your species, fatal or non-fatal?"

47. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

@Sarah Bee

Are you implying that Reg readers take a liking to mutants who were rejected by the mutant community and kicked out?

That is just not a problem for a diverse guy like me. Set a course for that asteroid belt. I'll be busy entertaining Leela in my stateroom.

-Zapp Brannigan

48. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Looking forward to the return

of my role model--Zap Brannigan!

"Stop dying, you cowards!!"

49. Hanin Elias
    Pirate

stop the madness!

the movies speak volumes about the class the new series will run at... stale and boring is putting it lightly...

as for the firefly whiners... that show should never have been put on the air. the movie was like sitting through every movie ewe boll ever made back to back... all in 90 minutes... i feel humanity is far worse off for ever knowing of it's existence...

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patiently waiting...

...for them to bring back B5 and Firefly.

51. ThinkingOutLoud
    Paris Hilton

Leela. MMmm...

I would.

Paris because I would, too, if she had only one eye...

52. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Colin Miller

Terminator: Salvation has tanked bigtime, not helped in any way by it being quite the most relentlessly stupidly-plotted film I've seen in years.

Still, if even the fans don't know how to spell its title, maybe Fox were right about The Sarah Connor Chronicles...

53. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Someone

Must have hacked those damned execubots that decide what runs on TV

Still it had one of my favourite gags in it

"Perhaps the secret ingfredient in slurm is people!"

"Naww, theres already a drink like that, Soylent cola"

"Hows it taste?"

"it varies from person to person"

54. Another Anonymous Coward 1

*Woop woop woop*

Brilliant news. As for the movies, the format was messed up, and that was the main problem... each time they had to make a complete 90-minute movie that could also be broken up into 4 distinct and seperate 22 minute episodes. End result - bit of a mess, the stories didn't flow well at all as a movie and the episode breaks were stark (think of the xmas episode slap in the middle of the first movie).

I still liked the movies (third one was the only really terrible one), and it certainly can't hold the crown for "worst comeback ever"... that award has already been claimed by Red Dwarf.

Futurama's humour is fast-paced and isn't well-suited to anything longer than 22 minutes... storylines just can't be sustained for longer than that, scripts rely on running gags more than you might realise, and those get tiring if spread out over 90 minutes.

The show was really going places in it's 4th tv series, hopefully we'll see a return to that. Much happier to see Futurama back than yet another Seth McFarlane show.

55. John Sanders
    Heart

I just wanted....

To kill all humans!

Awesome news everyone!

56. NogginTheNog
    Coat

Cast

Will Bender still be voiced by Ernest Borgnine (well that's who it sounds like to me)??

57. James O'Brien
    Happy

Thank god

Was hoping this would happen. Now I drink in peace.

58. dirk diggler

firefly

now bring back firefly damnit....

59. peter tomlinson
    Joke

@ThinkingOutLoud - if she had only one eye...

should I?

should I not?

ok, what color was it?

60. grandvizier
    Thumb Up

Hey sexy mama

wanna kill all humans?

All hail Bender Bending Rodriguez our shiny metal assed overlord

61. Nathanael Bastone
    Thumb Up

Finally!

'Bout time!

62. Ben 42
    Coat

@stop the madness!

I think Serenity was a very poor introduction to Firefly. I watched the movie and thought it was pretty obvious why the show was cancelled, then recently decided to give the series a chance anyway and it was much, much better than the movie. Not sure it's quite as good as some of the fans would have you believe, but the pilot is a far better hour and a half of entertainment than the movie was.

On an unrelated note, I see that I am Ben 42 now. Does that make me the answer to all Bens?

63. ryan 9
    Joke

great news ...

now if only they will bring back Manimal!

On a serious note, it must take a lot of good chemistry to produce something like Futurama. The time away can not have helped. I'll hope for the best though.

64. PiLS
    Coat

Waidaminit...

Sarah, how many eye(s) do you have? No offense intended, just checking... because you see, I happen to be the last male of an ancient one-eyed race and I wondered if you'd be interested in living in a castle for the rest of your life...

OK, no need to kick me in the kidneys, just hand me my polymorph coat...

65. Alpha Tony

@Ben 42

Agreed on Serenity. I think the problem is that the show was cancelled after just one 'trial' half season, then when Wheedon got the chance to make the movie he tried to cram too much into it, so it was all penetration with no foreplay. The characters in firefly were very good and at the point it was cancelled we had barely begun to explore them and their backstories (but what we had seen was great). The movie just felt incoherrant as there was no time to continue gradually building the characters, they had to try to finish a story in a couple of hours when the entriety of the first season we had seen was basically just a prologue.

The result was that people that had not watched the series did not really care about the characters and for those that had it was far too abrupt an ending.

I'm not sure if the COULD bring Firefly back without ruining it further... The movie has effectively buggerred up all the plotlines that were being carefully woven in the first series.

66. Bill Fresher

Leela

On first glance, yeah, Leela's hot..... but would anyone want to be anywhere near her when she takes those boots off? smelly.

67. Frank Bough
    Stop

Lee Lemon

"It's the Reg, you silly, Leela is what half the commentards see when they close their eyes to go to sleep."

This commentard sees only Sarah Bee, the modutardatrix.

68. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets hope..

the Zappsters is also back with some of the best lines of all time.

*\. "I am the man with no name. Zap Brannigan, at your service."

69. tiggertaebo
    Thumb Up

Good News Everyone!

If they can get back on form that is... I loved Futurama and although I've only watched one of the movies (Beast with a billion backs) I found it to be a disappointment. Still I'm going to stay optimistic on this until proved otherwise.

@Ben 42: I quite enjoyed Serenity - it was what got me to watch the series, I will say however the movie is far more enjoyable and worthwhile if you have seen Firefly. Oh and you aren't the answer to all Bens, you are the answer to the ultimate question of Ben ;)

70. Paris Hilton
    Alert

I for one welcome our hypnotoad overlords...

shouldn't that be Philip J Fry? Aa in the same middle name as Homer J Simpson? (Jay as in Jay ward?)

as Zoidberg would say Woop woop woop..

71. Phill Sacre

Good News

I think a quote from Bender's Big Score is relevant here.

"Those asinine morons at Fox who cancelled us have themselves been fired for incompetence. And not just fired, but beaten up. And pretty badly, too".

Let this abomination unto the Lord begin!

72. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Ditto Firefly

I still think there are Firefly stories. I want to know what was the back story for Shepherd Book was, and I'm sure that there were plenty of war stories for Zoe and Malcolm.

Did the comics add anything to this?

B5 is finished. The story is finished (as JMS intended, although slightly out of sequence), and the spin-offs do not stand up against the original.

73. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Paris Hilton

Good news everyone

Just wanted to say,

Paris, who also has a best friend with one eye

74. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Thumb Down

@Peter Gathercole

The B5 spinoffs don't stand up because the production values were so low because the studios refused to put the investment in the programs, B5 was made for about $700,000 an episode, so JMS was producing a whole season's worth of programs for the price of the ST:Voyager pilot (approx $21M).

Imagine what B5 would have been like with that sort of budget. Crusade bombed partly for the same reason, excessive use of blue screen.

75. Armus Squelprom
    Thumb Up

Leela....

mmmmmmmmm

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like