back to article Stilt-walking Cirque du Soleil founder turns space tourist

The stilt-walking, fire-breathing founder of Cirque du Soleil is set to become Canada's first space tourist later this year. Quebec-born billionaire Guy Laliberté will make a 12 day visit to the International Space Station in September courtesy the Russian space agency, in a flight estimated to cost at least $30m (£18.6m). …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bish
    Stop

Clear as muddy water...

"And the purpose is clear: to raise awareness on water issues to humankind on planet earth."

Which water issues do you suppose he means? As far as I'm aware, it ain't running out any time soon...

Aren't there more pressing environmental matters? And aren't they rather compounded by the frivolous burning of rocket fuel?

2. Adam White

SCIENCE!

Imagine the sort of experiments this guy could perform up there - determining the feasibility of juggling in space, tight-rope walking in space, trapeze acrobatics in space, staging profitable public displays in space...

3. Anonymous John

@ Clear as muddy water...

"the frivolous burning of rocket fuel?"

There is none. The Soyuz would be carrying three anyway. it means that one crew member swap will have to be done by the Shuttle, but it will still launch with seven astronauts.

I don't think NASA is keen on the practice, but the Russian space industry needs the money.

4. Greg

Oh God

I think I'm going to puke...

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

I can see it now.

Baikonur, sometime in September:

"OI! COME DOWN NOW! Hang on. How are you doing that without wires or a net?"

6. Michael Short
    Alien

Good to see...

...that his rigorous analysis determined that more benefit would accrue to his chosen cause than if he had just, say, donated $30m to water provision projects.

I wonder if, in a week or so, he might not wish he'd said "I am going to space because, well, it's kinda cool and I can afford it."

7. Richard Hebert
    Happy

Being there helps understand

Guy started the One Drop foundation ( and i was there for the event with the Prince Of Monaco visiting the headquarters here in Montreal .. quite a treat ) because so many children do not have access to clean safe drinking water all around the globe. That is the purpose and mission these

people have invested themselves and their money ( 200 millions to start ) in order to provide communities in need with a supply of clean water. In itself , the new Cirque buildings have also been made to recycle rain water etc etc .. to top it off .. on the 7 th floor , they made a gigantic cone shaped rain collector . The intent is clear , help people. Raise awareness and money to help.

He worked hard to get there . We are proud of him. His mission was to put a smile on people.

It still is The whole of the Province of Quebec and Canada are proud of him.And if he gets a blast out of it , so much the better. He worked hard to get there and by all means , have a heck of a trip blasting off.

Bon voyage Guy :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Ugh...

"..raise awareness on water issues ", my arse.

Why doesn't he just come out and say "F*ck you lot - I've got the cash and I'm going! Nyah Nyah!" - I'd wish him Bon Voyage myself in that case, but self-justification like that just nauseates me.

9. Labaton

A nice thought....

its a nice thought to spend £18.6m to go into space to preach about the problems of water on our humble planet. that is until you consider the fact that £18.6m could supply the poorest people in africa with something between 400 and 600 million litres of clean drinking water?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like