back to article Google tracking cookie spans AdSense, DoubleClick

Yes, Google is using the same tracking cookie across both its AdSense and DoubleClick online ad contraptions. This allows the Mountain View ad giant to collect your surfing habits as you move from AdSense partner sites to sites using DoubleClick's ad management platform - although the company indicates that at least in some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BanjoString

who really gives a shit apart from geeks?

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

2. adnim

How

can they track my habits when...

*.doubleclick.* is blocked at my firewall and none of Google's cookies are accepted?

Firefox, NoScript, Adblock, CS Lite and RefControl... Track that Google.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and...

...a custom hosts files that directs all AdSense and DoubleClick traffic to 127.0.0.1

4. Camilla Smythe

Re: How

Perhaps they just log your IP addy and date/time of access then cross reference it to your ISP's dirtybase of what they gave you at the time.

5. adnim

@camilla

Would that be the dynamic IP address which I make sure changes every day by rebooting my router?

I wouldn't imagine my ISP would divulge this information without a court order anyway, although more appalling abuse of customer privacy has happened in the past... BT/Phorm.

And then there is always the ProxySel addon for times of extreme tinfoil hattedness.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Bluetack!

Get the free PeerGuadian app and get the free "Bluetack" list, then block all these nasty little ad sites from harvesting your personal habits!

It's your data, protect it!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least they're not Phorm

^^ see title.

8. Ben Tasker
    Stop

@adnim

Its probably likely though that your ISP assigns a static host name to your connection, something a bit like

cutsomer1.btbb.kingston.net

which doesn't change, so a reverse DNS lookup would allow them to track you even if your IP does change

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Ben Tasker

My ISP's hostname changes when i get a new IP

Cust287 to Cust322 etc

10. adnim

@Ben

Sorry no cookie, pun intended ;-)

Like Zerofool2005 my hostname changes with IP. The IP address itself forms part of the hostname.

11. Olivier Abo

naifs

>> Firefox, NoScript, Adblock, CS Lite and RefControl... Track that Google

No problem..

1) In one browsing session there are few chances you change your ip address. A lot of tracking and targeted ad serving can be done just with this. Ads must not be served via javascript. This is the most used way at this time, but direct injection in the source code is perfectly possible, and is done very well by several "tools" sold to ISPs.

2) Google is a search engine. A good one. You can't hide what you search. You are using google, they know what you search, they know who you are.

3) Persistence other sessions. There are ways for this beyond browser cookie and even public IP address. At first, your ISP knows who you are. It can use the information, or resale it. For example your isp could resel to google a unique " anonymous " identifier and its public ip addresses other time. Or better, google could sell your ISP a tool crafted to serve "targeted advertising" to its customer in order to " enhance user experience " and " optimize the revenue per customer ".

The tool is very easy to design: just a cookie injector: any http request sent from your personal connection to any of google service, whatever the ip address, will have a unique cookie header inserted which is recognized by DClick / Adsense.. you can not block it. You can not detect it. And it is not a big cost for ISPs.

12. Oninoshiko
    Black Helicopters

customers

"It's unclear which contracts and which customers Chen is referring too."

if you are not paying google to show your ad, you are not a customer.

(cluestick being all gallager-like icon)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like