back to article US pokes intelligence agencies into Web 2.0 overhaul

The US intelligence community plans to introduce an information-sharing portal for spies modelled on the operations of well-known parasite advertising operations MySpace and Facebook. The spook web forum, however, will be taxpayer-supported rather than ad-based, and instead of lists of favourite boy bands it will presumably …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars Silver badge

Cock and Bull?

"A Facebook spokeswoman, according to the FT report, said the decision was purely because of scheduling conflicts. "

2. Ian Ferguson

OMG Janice is like totally a double agent

I'm intrigued to know quite why they think social networking can help. The near-infinite levels of clearance and secrecy involved in intelligence work means the odds are stacked against information sharing before they even start.

I suspect the parties involved have the intention of getting a lot more out of the system than they ever intend to put in; ie. they hope for everyone else to post useful, accurate information that they can glean. But the same metrics apply as in the online business world - imagine the reliability (!) of Wikipedia applied to national, or even world, security.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

we're against sharing data with the US

... so we dont want to share data with the US.... well could that be because they will 1) use it against us and deport people 2) they will will loose it or perhaps 3) they wont give us any in return.

4. Stuart Van Onselen

What?

You mean the US still has foreign operatives after the Valeri Plame debacle?

If I were a turncoat working for the US, I'd most certainly reconsider my line of work once I knoew that my handler could be "outed" at any time by cynical White House operatives.

5. Duncan Hothersall

Broadsword has written on Danny Boy's wall

Hiya! Any news? xx

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had a similar idea

My idea is to use websites such as facebook and myspace while enlisting the aid of software that is capable of seeking out specific characteristics that would divulge a possible recruiet for a spy agency. I think somebody used their microwave satellites to thwart with my idea! I am in the game of life, wu- who! I want a new life, I think maybe I should just become British and join the clan of serving society for a grander and grander and grander and grander and grander and grander cause like possibly as a diplomat. I so have to escape the despairity of the myopic American lives hear in the Americas, because it bears an unconditi0nal epis0de to the life of the individual who probably is being made a fool, yet he continues on with the knowledge that their is something of noble right for him in a different country.

This topic is closed for new posts.