back to article Netizens tell court NebuAd's not dead

NebuAd appears to be dead. And its lawyers have asked to withdraw from an ongoing class action suit against the Phorm-like behavioral ad targeter. But those suing the company have asked the court to deny this request on the grounds that NebuAd has a talent for resurrecting itself. In November, fifteen American netizens sued …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith Gold badge
    Joke

Mr Goad the CEO

AS in "Goading the information out of the helpless suckers who use our partner ISP's"

And a "Chief Privacy Officer" Why did I read that as "Chief Piracy Officer"?

You could not make this up.

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Black Helicopters

I hope the judge isn't a Bushite.

It would be a shame if the criminals that had taken over the prison were still in office.

I noticed the campaign to snitch on dole claimants has been dropped while events unfurl this side of the pond.

3. Nebulo
    Unhappy

Of course, with my chosen name ...

... I really, truly wish I could support another Nebu-anything.

As it is, may they, Phorm and all their kin rot in hell. Slowly.

4. Chris C

Cookie-based opt-out

"NebuAd did provide a cookie-based opt-out and claimed to anonymize all user data with a one-way hash, but US law may require an opt-in."

The problem is that a cookie-based opt-out is not a valid opt-out. Not all browsers support cookies, and cookies are not required for web access. Many security-conscious people block cookies, especially third-party cookies, as an additional step in protecting one's privacy. Forcing someone to use cookies in order to opt-out is an affront to that person's privacy.

(Almost) anything that collects personal information should require explicit opt-in (no, burying an agreement within a license or contract does not equal explicit opt-in).

5. RW
    Happy

@ Chris C

I'm of the opinion that opt-ins should be in writing, not electronic. Require the bastards to keep on file a piece of paper bearing a real signature.

Since I'm a nice guy, I'll allow them to be faxed in.

There's a related scenario that's actually pretty funny: the gee-whiz, lets-make-a-lotta-money-by-underhanded-means crowd thinks written documents are too retro for words in this online age. But in the USA, some people threatened with foreclosure have asked the court "where is the piece of paper with my signature on it agreeing to this?" In the hustle to securitize mortgages, in more than a few cases, the actual documents have been lost, mislaid, or destroyed, which leaves whoever holds the mortgage up a creek sans paddle.

IOW, if there are important legal consequences, don't depend on some airy-fairy electronic record: get it in writing!

6. asdf
    Thumb Down

blightys government sucks hairy ball sacks

Wow the US is now more progressive on commercial based privacy then the UK? Sadly we are the country that sold our souls and human rights to the corporations for the most part so we could afford big HD teles and even bigger SUVs. Sad when the likes of Phorm are too much even for us. You all really need to change your government asap.

7. Pyrrho Huxley
    Linux

Get yourself a private VPN

There's only one way round the web wire-tappers, spies, and high-jackers - and that's a private VPN

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@blightys government sucks hairy ball sacks

You all really need to change your government asap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, yes indeed - however the feckers are all quitting before folks have gotten riled enough to storm Westminster with flaming torches and pitchforks - we need a damned good lynching!

Democracy sure as hell isn't working (who do we vote for, Party A are exactly the same as Party B - except they prefer blue!) - and we seem to have lost the knack for civil disobedience somewhere between 1984 and now, so I guess we're fooked.

This topic is closed for new posts.