back to article Judge throws the book at phishing fraudster

A fraudster has been sentenced to eight and a half years in prison after copping to a series of phishing scams that affected 7,000 victims and netted an estimated $700,000 in illicit income. Sergiu Daniel Popa, 23, started his fraudulent activities almost nine years ago back in June 2000 when he was only 14 years-old, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fenstar
    Paris Hilton

Maths

"Sergiu Daniel Popa, 23, started his fraudulent activities almost seven years ago back in June 2000 when he was only 14 years-old"

How the hell did you work this out?

2. Stephen Gray
    Thumb Down

Only f*ckwits get phished

Are there still morons out there who believe these emails? If so then you deserve to have your bank account raped by some script kiddie.

3. Omer Ozen
    Boffin

Re:Maths

"How the hell did you work this out?"

Well, he was brought to books in 2007.

4. John Dougald McCallum
    Coat

Phishing eMails

I often reply to these emails OH yes I do but not with any thing that would bear repeating here,

Oh allright then its ESaD bu only if they come to my other eMail address, in my normal one they only get deleted come to think about it I'm going to have to put my HazMat suit on and clear out the crap.

5. Travis Vowinkel
    Thumb Down

To short

In my opinion the sentence is to short. It costs each one of us computer users a substantial amount of money for virus scan and trojan scan software without these little or big criminals trying to cash in on what I call an open internet. The future scares me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like