back to article Microsoft bails out of European competition hearing

Microsoft has turned down the chance to give oral evidence to the European Competition Commission - because the date clashes with a big beanfeast for regulators in Switzerland. The software giant was to present evidence at an oral hearing between 3 and 5 June. This was a chance for both sides to air issues around Microsoft's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lewis Mettler
    Stop

settled but not corrected

The DOJ and Microsoft did settle the case in the US. But, the US DOJ decided it did not want to hold Microsoft to complying with US Laws. The most flagrant violation, commingling code between the OS and IE, was completely ignored by the US DOJ. That violation continues unabated to this day precluding any realistic choice for consumers, just like the DOJ wanted.

The effort by Microsoft to attempt to monopolize the browser market was also completely ignored by the US DOJ. And that decision pretty much required this action by the EU.

2. Simon B
    Heart

wot no title?

"Windows 7 is expected to come with a button to switch off Internet Explorer"

So does XP, it's called deleting the shortcut from the desktop and anywhere I can see it in he start menu!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Simon B

That does not switch it off - that only hides it. It is still there and still running. It should be possible to completely remove IE from the system. Just as I can with (say) Firefox on Linux. Cue the MS fanbois wailing about how I "Don't understand a modern OS". Au contraire, I do. Which is why I know it is possible to completely de-couple IE from Windows if MS wants to. Underlying modules (e.g. XML processors etc) wouldn't be decoupled, but then they are not IE; merely used by it.

MS obviously care more about bribing, err, talking with the new regulators and ensure that they konow who is going to grease their palms, err, has a clear vision on the future.

The EU should continue their prosecution, which should now proceed much faster as MS is not offering any defence.

In the EU FF is now one of the most popular browsers despite the activities of MS. Less and less people want to take their buggy, virus-prone, bloat-shit-ware any more.

4. raving angry loony

liars

When I can run Windows Update with Firefox, that means IE has been removed from the system. Otherwise, they're lying to me. As usual.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like