back to article Smart-map battle network for footsoldiers gets $12m demo

Weaponry globocorp Raytheon has announced the inking of a $12m deal with the US Army, under which the firm and its subcontractors will demonstrate nifty networked smart-map computers for use by American footsoldiers in combat. Troops will be able to see enemies and each other on the digital maps even where GPS satnav is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds good

Sounds good, how are they going to prevent the enemy seeing all this if one of these fall into their hands though?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

One tiny flaw

I suppose it's superfluous to point out how useful such a "real-time moving map showing where all your men are" would be for an enemy too, so a remote kill-switch would be pretty essential, I imagine.

3. Lionel Baden

low battery

You better pray to god the batteries in your camo dont run out during the middle of battle !!!!

they wouldnt even need to hack the system, just look for glowing orbs of light at night

or then again just use a direcion finder for bluetooth devices

4. John Smith Gold badge
    Happy

Voice output or HUD output?

Only I can see trouble walking round with soldiers head down while unequipped opponents (keeping their heads up) just wait for some one to come within range.

And as Lionel Baden pointed out battery failure on *your* unit will be *very* unfortunate for your team membership.

And I think we all know what even someone as follicly challenged as Bruce Willis could do with access to his opponents radio.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like