back to article Scotland welcomes back wild beaver

Scotland is today one animal species richer following the release into the wild of three beaver families - the first examples to enjoy the Caledonian habitat since the animal was driven to extinction in the 16th Century. The release at sites in Knapdale Forest, Mid-Argyll, follows years of lobbying by beaver aficionados and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully

Let me be the first to say...

...Nice beaver

2. Steven
    IT Angle

Obviously a slow news day...

Unless there beaver with frickin' lasers on there heads, I fail to see the IT angle.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Wild Scottish Beaver?

I'd say most beaver in Scotland is pretty wild myself.

Paris because she likes to introduce beaver in every habitat she visits..

4. Stephen Gray

@ Chris W

Damn!!

5. Calum Morrison
    Joke

@Chris W

Thanks, I've just had it stuffed.

6. Alasdair S
    Coat

clatty pat's

Anyone who thinks wild beaver was extinct in Scotland obviously hasn't been to Clatty Pat's!

7. Andy G
    Flame

@Steven

c'mon dude... this is the most beaver I.T. boys see at ant one time isnt it . . .

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

tsk-tsk, Lester

No beaver-related double entendres and it's Friday too

Paris, because I've heard her minge is very nice

9. Enrico Vanni
    Coat

@ Alasdair S

Clatty Pat's (aka Cleopatras) closed in 2006......

10. Joseph Haig
    Coat

Velociraptors?

Change the title of the story to "Beavers goto Scotland" and your Velociraptors shouldn't be far behind.

And that would satisfy Steven's request for an IT angle.

11. steven
    Paris Hilton

flappy body parts...

i like beaver [s]

12. steven

nice..

RE: paris hilton:

nice beaver, shame about the face

the european beaver's latin name?

clungeus futeo

no bother ;)

13. Philip Dagnan

Beaver Patrol!

A whole new dimenson the a Beaver Patrol.

14. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Re: Beaver Patrol!

Let me see:

My greatest way of getting kicks / is go to Knapdale Forest, Mid-Argyll and hustle chicks.....

Nope, doesn't work for me.

My Vestan Pantz please.

15. Mike Taylor

No beaver cam?

They have an osprey webcam - http://www.swt.org.uk/ - but thing of the traffic a live beaver cam would get

16. caffeine addict

Am I going to be the first not to make a beaver gag?

Erm... Oh yeah. I'm all for protecting native species, but hasn't it occurred to anyone that in the last 400 years the other wildlife might have changed its behaviour a little to account for the lack of beavers?

Suddenly reintroducing them could be as disastrous as introducing a pack of Tasmanian Devils...

[ Oh, and if anyone needs their beaver gagged... ]

17. Kimo
    IT Angle

@ Caffine

They can always do what Arkansas has done...introduce alligators to prey on the beavers.

Sorry, I don't have a pun that hasn't already been used...

18. Elrond Hubbard
    Thumb Up

salmon habitat

Greetings from Oregon, the Beaver State--there's one on the state flag. Yes, beaver will "..impact migratory fish numbers, especially salmon", and the impact will be positive. Beaver dams are low enough and leaky enough that salmon go right thru them, and beaver ponds are excellent salmon habitat.

19. Bad Beaver
    Thumb Up

wild beaver...

... can't have enough of them. Good move, Scotland!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

thanks

for the heads-up on this. I'll be sure to check out the wild beaver next time I go to Scotland.

21. Doug Glass
    Go

Just Keep The Gillette Fish Out

Or all the beavers will be shaved and if that happens it will take lots of money to keep them warm. Not to mention fast cars and big dam houses.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

Problem is letting all that beaver out in to the country side is bound to have some side effects, which is why they are trialing it just now, with just a few in the local native populations. thing is they dont have a clue whats going to happen for all we know we could be up to our necks in beaver before too long.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scotland welcomes back wild beaver

In your dreams. It clearly says "Norwegian beavers' liberation". Are they tall and blonde?

"the animal was driven to extinction" Is that anything like going down to London?

"24 European countries have already reintroduced beavers " I do hope the little shavers are doing ok...

24. Petrea Mitchell
    Happy

Salmon, part 2

Further greetings from Oregon, where much jingoistic amusement has been garnered from reading quotes and opinion pieces from concerned British people who believe that rampaging gangs of beavers will need only a few years to fell the forests and murder all the salmon in the country. Especially good was this suggestion that it's all a vile Anglo-European plot against the Scots:

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/spectrum/Eager-for-beavers.5271704.jp

25. WhatWasThat?
    Paris Hilton

@Doug Glass

There is the Scottish Fold - a breed of cat crossed with the Don Sphinx to make a hairless breed, so I see nothing wrong with a hairless breed of beaver.

Lord knows, Scottish lasses have been "clam" - moring for a bit of the hairless kilt snake for some time, eh? I know I have had none of them complain. ;-)

Paris - because she always keeps her beaver shorn.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Wild scottish beaver ya say?

That's hardly news.

I have lived here all my life and can safely say that not only have there always been some wild ones there are more than a few that are absolutely freaking livid!

Paris because ours look better than hers. ;-P

satanswombat

27. Chris

@Joseph Haig

Too late!

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1198286

28. AndrewG
    Happy

Scottish Beaver Trial project manager

Wouldn't you just love to introduce yourself in a highland pub with THAT as your job title (and on your business cards)

29. Bad Beaver
    Boffin

@ Darren Tuffs

"thing is they dont have a clue whats going to happen for all we know we could be up to our necks in beaver before too long."

That'll be easily cured the way one got rid of them the first time around: you eat them.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Frank Mcavennie

was lost for words and unable to comment.

Only an Excuse.

31. robbie
    Linux

Backwoods beaver

Although we're keeping them out in the fringes I don't think there's been enough consideration of what migrating urban beaver might precipitate.

Tux, 'cos he's on the march too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like