back to article Sony Ericsson C905 Plus

Praised for combining quality optics with top-notch phone features, Sony Ericsson's 'C for camera' series has raised the bar again with the C905 Plus. It's basically an upgrade of the existing C905 8.1Mp Cyber-shot camphone with expanded memory, a grin gabbing Smile Shutter feature, plus extra applications including Youtube and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

You seem to have forgotten...

... the most impressive feature: Mind reading capabilities.

"BestPic takes a series of seven shots, three before and three after you press the shutter"

So the phone knows when you intend to take a picture and automatically fires off the shots right before you press the shutter button? impressive

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quality control issues?

I had thought about getting one of these but I've read bad things about the phone not working properly, breaking after a couple of months etc. (just google "c905 problems")

Anyone know if these issues have been ironed out?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Got an original C905

Got it in November last year and it's fine. It's a more than adequate phone. Works much faster than the K850i I had previously. Takes a nice photo. Like the FM radio. I can get GMail, Hotmail and have a Twitter client on the phone so I don't need my laptop to just gives those things a quick check.

Of course I haven't dropped it too often and it's repaid me by not breaking.

Good phone, could do worse.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC (the one at 11.34GMT)

The problems which affected the original C905 were with the earpiece (not the headphone one, but the one you normally listen through when using the phone) becoming disconnected after a period of time, so the only way to hear a conversation was through either a handsfree of some sort or via the loudspeaker. I believe the main change with the "plus" edition was to fix this problems - all of the other features came out in a software update earlier this year.

For the record I have an original C905 (as does my girlfriend) and it's been great - no problems at all with either of them - so I think the problems may have been with a particular batch.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Nice camera, shame about the rest

As per the title, the camera is great, but other features don't match up. The GPS is pants, takes ages to get a lock; mine has started to creak irritatingly against my ear due to the slider mechanism and the battery life is poor for a modern phone and, yes, I do switch off the bluetooth and Wifi when I can. Speaking of which, getting the Wifi to connect to my home router was a nitemare. And after 6 months I still constantly hit the wrong key to dial, it's tiny and sandwiched between two others and you can just about get it with your thumbnail. And I have small hands ... a friend with the same phone and hands like shovels hates it.

I got the thing reflashed early on and that improved it a little from the hobbled Orange firmware, but not much.

On the other hand, I got my wife a Nokia 5800 Expressmusic and it is fantastic. Granted the camera is not the main attraction, but it's just brilliant at everything else. The touchscreen is amazing and the whole thing is faster and more intuitive than the C905. The GPS works far better with Nokia maps (which you can download offline, unlike Google maps) and the Wifi was a breeze to hook up at home.

It's a very different phone from the C905, but it really shows up where the C905 is lacking.

6. John McGhie

Sony sells a headphone adapter for it...

Sony does sell an adapter cable that enables you to connect standard 3.5 mm mini-phone plug headphones to the C905 headphone socket: I have one, they're about ten bucks.

This enables you to use any headphones you like. It also provides an "answer" button and external microphone for phone calls, and functions as the antenna for the radio.

I use it with noise-canceling headphones on long-haul flights. Ask for it at your nearest Sony shop, or you can get after-market copies online. Cheers

7. Nick Wright
    Unhappy

QVGA?!

The video resolution is still the deal-breaker for me. I've always found the cameras in SE phones to take great photographs so it seems madness that video is given such a low priority. Second bite at the cherry with a revised model and it still comes up lacking.

8. W

Has SE lost its way?

My girlfriend got a K750i as an upgrade yonks ago. I found it to be a little chunky. But I got a K770i as soon as it came out. Very happy with it, but after finishing my 18 month contract I was loking around for a replacement/upgrade.

The C905 looks like a nice phone that's quite adept at taking photos. But the price it's going for is just far too much for what it is in today's market.

Yes, it's got a better camera (esp. the flash) but the K770i's camera is a 3.2MP job that was far from naff. The only major functional improvement is the iPlayer support. OK, there's GPS. Big wow. Google maps on the K770i is decent.

The C905 is just not enough of an upgrade from the K770i for me to consider paying out nearly 50% more each month than I was before (i.e. £30ish instead of £22). And it's a slider.

I tried out the HTC Magic/G2. But I wasn't blown away and I don't like the idea of my phone being so fragile that it's borked if the screen gets damaged by a keyscratch etc.

So the call of Nokia was too strong to ignore. The E71 can be had for £20 per month. So now I'm paying less than I was before for a phone that is oh-so-much-more. The reviews uniformly pick out the 3.2MP camera as it's weak point. But while it's not as slick to use as the K770i, the results are just as good. And the K770i has been absolutely fine for snaps. Yeah, the C905 has a slightly better flash, but's not a match for even an average digicam. And if I wanted pics that were any better than phone snaps, I'd buy a DSLR and do the job properly. In all other departments, the E71 trounces the SE range.

Going from a K770i to any other SE model would be like going from a Spectrum +2A to a +3.

Going from a K770i to an E71 is like going from a Spectrum to a full fledged PC.

Why did I ever leave you, Nokia? Can you forgive me? And that's not just me. My GF was sold on the E71 and got one too.

So in answer to my title, judging by SE's faltering market share, the fact that SE haven't made any significant strides in two years or more, and my own personal experience, I'd say yes, SE has lost it's way.

No stand out dirt cheap models to compete with the Nokia 1100s of this world. No stand out trailblazing models a la iPhone/N95. No style icons like the RAZR. No business focus as per the Blackberries.

Just a seeminly endless stream of minor adjustments to a bloated line-up of (admittedly decent) mid-range phones.

9. W

Also, El Reg:

As has been pointed out, a hands free adaptor can be had for a small price, and a straight headphone only adaptor can be had for less than £3 (delivered) from eBay.

We get the point, but the inconvenience and cost of memory stick incompatibilities far outweights that of the headphone issue.

So why do you not mention that SE has taken the backwards step of accepting only Sony's M2 cards as opposed to also accepting MicroSD like it did with the K850i.

Regardless, both gripes come across as yet more evidence of Sony's grasping proprietary side coming through. While the 2.5mm jacks on Nokias cannot be completely excused, slimness of the E71 handset is a plausible excuse (especially as the chunkier E63 does have a 3.5mm socket).

10. W

Speaking of which:

I can understand why the EEE PC 901 got displaced by lesser scoring netbooks in the top 5 on the right hand column of this page. It's effectively a discontinued and superseded model.

But how come the Nokia E71(90%) doesn't place above the 85% rated HTC Magic and SE C905 phones? It's less than a year old, is still a leading model in it's range, it's widely available in the shops and selling very well.

On top of that, surely the C905 Plus supersedes the C905, and so to have both in your top 5 is a little OTT.

I mostly like the slant of El Reg reviews in the way they don't get too bogged down with reams of tech specs, but your relative scoring and ranking system is very often, just plain odd.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

For clarification...

Something the article doesn't make clear: The C905 Plus is NOT just a software fix. Some owners of the C905 had issues where the earpiece stopped working, and so the only way they could hear calls was to use a handsfree kit or to use the loudspeaker. This was caused by the connector inside the handset working loose, and Sony have apparently fixed this in the C905 Plus. The software updates are just part of the new phone software released in February.

As for the "free upgrade" mentioned at the end of the article, this would appear to just be the software rather than owners getting a new handset.

Not the most accurate review I've ever seen here...

12. Slik Fandango
    Thumb Down

Who carries it 'as is'?

Guy I work with has one. Was interested in replacing my c902 with one, but it seems that on Vodafone they remove a number of the built in apps and replace with their own web based ones (use more of their data). He found connecting to WiFi a pain - it automatically preferred to eat data from Vodafone again rather than Wifi.

Another friend had the same phone on Orange - again crippled apps and refusing to connect to WiFi if any data signal available via network.

Now looking elsewhere - Nokia N97 or HTC Magic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like