back to article IBM ships SSDs for Power Systems

IBM today begins selling its first solid state disks for its Power Systems boxes, the machines it uses to attack the Unix, Linux, and OS/400 installed bases. The SSDs are not the same units it announced in March for its System x and BladeCenter x64-based servers. IBM is taking a 128 GB Zeus-IOP flash drive from STEC, with whom …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gabriel Vistica
    Joke

DARN IT!

I'm an uber-Star Wars geek, so when I saw that IBM was shipping SSDs, I thought they were finally making a Super Star Destroyer! Now I have to wait another 500 years. :(

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Umm....... Gabriel?

You do realise Star Wars was set in the past, don't you?

"Long, Long Ago, in a Galaxy Far, Far Away" is a bit of a bloody clue, don't you think?

3. No Use for A Name

zfs

the article mentions sun's cheaper offering as well as ibm's 'data balancer' but neglects to explain that the zfs filesystem in solaris does exactly what the data balancer does: use the sdd tas a clever cache by moving frequently used datasets onto it.

check the benchmarks, zfs is pretty good at this and does it automatically already. its also waaaaay cheaper than aix and let's you use commodity sdd's.

and then there is dtrace...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sure you have explained wear levelling

correctly there?

So, when a cell fails this will move the data to another cell?

Wear levelling is more about attempting to keep the erase/write cycles the same across cells, from what I understood.

But this is an interesting twist, this approach will mean the cells at the front are more often used and you will more quickly reduce the available space on the drive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like