back to article Skype pulls about-face, calls for interoperability

Two months after Skype announced a beta of its SIP gateway, the company's general manager has called on PBX manufacturers to get compatible, despite half a decade of refusing to play nicely with anyone. Skype resolutely refused to consider adopting the industry-standard Session Initiation Protocol, claiming that it could do …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

So...

they agree to backdoors for the NSA then start asking everyone else for access to their traffic?

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

2. Jon Green
    Unhappy

Skype in the office?

"now [Skype] desperately needs to get PBX vendors on board if it's going to find a home in the office."

Not half as much as it needs to sort out the horrible transatlantic boomerang delays in its UK->UK Skype->landline calls, or the echo that often plagues UK->Hong Kong Skype->Skype calls, for instance.

We use Skype as a tool to reduce (or eliminate) overseas calling costs, and tolerate its foibles for the cost-benefits, but it's currently unusable, or at least fundamentally unreliable, if we want to use Skype to call UK landlines.

Keeping the Linux client up-to-date and bug-fixed would help a lot too, and give us the opportunity to integrate it into products that could make them a bundle of money. Hey ho.

3. Joe Montana
    Stop

Proprietary keeps me away from it..

Skype's lack of support for SIP means i won't even consider it...

If i use SIP, then i have the choice of many providers, some of which are cheaper than skype and don't suffer from the delays someone else posted about, and i can switch providers at the drop of a hat...

I can also setup an asterisk box that talks to the sip providers, and automatically routes to the cheapest provider... And i have a choice of literally hundreds of different sip handsets.

4. Goat Jam

Ummm

If you are going to put in a SIP gateway at your office, why do you need the Skype part? Why not just go full SIP with asterisk?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like