back to article Croats flock to support openly corrupt politician

A Croatian politician is close to becoming the mayor of the town Prolozac - despite promising to be corrupt and to treat the town "like our family business". Voters have flocked to the campaign, which runs under the slogan "All for me, nothing for you". Josko Risa polled 27.89 per cent of the vote in the first round of voting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Kneel before Zod

Terence Stamp only has to put on the costume, and any elected office of his choosing is his. Malcolm McDowell could probably stand in for him, at a pinch.

2. Tom

Honestly Currupt

At least this one is 'honest' about the intentions!

3. Cameron Colley

Reminds me of a certain Mayor.

Sound like similar reasoning to voting for Boris Johnson as mayor of London. In a culture of corruption, incompetence, and lies a bit of honesty is compelling.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry

I didn't take my acid pills this morning, and am, as a result, unable to understand a thing this story is about...

Could someone who is either on his/her way up or on his/her way down and therefore standing neatly on the cusp of reality (as viewed from both sides) please translate.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

Q. How do you tell a politician is lying?

A. His lips move.

Why should this one be any different?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Move along, nothing to see

We've had this in Ireland for years, except we call them Fianna Fáil.

7. Lee
    Thumb Up

Re: Move along, nothing to see

Ahhh...but not for much longer....I don't think the feckers can do it again

8. Mark Flingstone
    IT Angle

a new swine flu pandemic

is spreading. Italy has a prime minister appointed that way, Croatia might have a mayor, what's next in your country?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

...if a politician says he's lying is that true or a lie? And if it's either, what then?

But the story itself seems sad. Looks like Croats have given up hope on their politicians ever becoming less corrupt.

10. Osiris
    Thumb Up

A decent one at last?

If all politicians lie through their teeth, those promising to be 'whiter than white' shall be the most corrupt of all.

Conversly, if this one says he will be corrupt he might actually turn out to be half decent.

11. this

Prolozac?

is that a typo? If it is, then the whole thing kind of makes sense.

12. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Missing quote.

When asked about his plans for the mayoralty he replied: "Well I'm planning to start with a bit of basic graft and skimming a percentage off the top, but next year I'm thinking about putting in an expenses system.".....

13. Sooty

makes me think of the expenses scandal

if any of them had just laughed and said yup, i milked it for all i could, it's part of the job. i would probably have a lot more respect for them than the ones who claimed it's all within the rules and that they didn't do anything wrong.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

WIN all round

He's just a newbie with no prior experience... so he probably doesn't yet have the knowledge to do any REAL swindling. It's all going to be small change. He's independent too, so it's not like he can ask the other corrupt swindlers at the party conference for advice on filling in his expense claim.

So, entirely unlike the elected politicians in certain countries then!

This topic is closed for new posts.