back to article Malaysia honours piracy-busting mutts

Malaysia has honoured Lucky and Flo - the pirate DVD-sniffing black Labradors whose olfactory skills have led to 26 arrests and the seizure of $6m in hooky discs, Reuters reports. The celebrity pair were trained by the Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT), and subsequently deployed in Malaysia where they quickly ran to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ishkandar

New dogs, old tricks

I hope they wouldn't name they "Lady" and "Tramp", considering the source of their donation....

right, where did I put my Zimmer frame....

2. Chris Collins

Smell different?

The mind boggles - how can they tell the difference in smell to say, your photos on a recordable DVD and The Simpson's movie? Or do they just smell DVDs? Maybe pirates smell funny.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trained where ?

Was in a trip to Malaysia recently and these 2 dogs were all over the papers, real local celebrities, trained in Ireland incidentally with 2 more currenty being trained as their replacements.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The dogs are a joke

The 2 dogs are only there for show and all Malaysians (and foreigners who've been in Malaysia for a while) know it. If the police really wanted to crack down on the pirates, they could start with those that operate right out in the open at shopping malls and street markets. No sane Malaysian actually believes the dogs contribute anything except as a publicity stunt and as a means to appease the software companies and MPAA which sponsored them. Let's see if any of those arrested are sentenced to jail or even charged in court.

5. Jeff S

Re:post above

I also recall from reading many of the stories about them that people have indeed been charged due to seizures, a bounty has been put on their heads which I doubt would be the case if they weren't put to some good use while over there.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In any event...

...the dogs would be great at the end of year staff BBQ !

This topic is closed for new posts.