back to article Boffins develop bendy, squishy, foldable display

Scientists have displayed a screen that can be squashed, stretched and folded like rubber. UoT_rubber_OLED_01 The display's made from organic transistors, carbon nanotubes and fluorescent rubber Developed by Takao Someya, a Professor of Electronic Engineering, and his team from the University of Tokyo, the screen was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith Gold badge
    Joke

OLEDs, carbon nanotubes, fluorescent rubber.

This can only mean one thing.

HOUSE! on buzzword bingo.

Where do I claim my prize?

Seriously quite interesting but what about power requirements? And historically OLEDs have been failure prone doe to exposure to atmospheric contamination from things like Oxygen and water vapour. Any word on life expectancy?

2. David S
    Happy

This comment has no title.

Very nice. Can't help wondering how easy that's going to be to shift to mass-production, but still. Cute. Can't help thinking this could be one of those things I bore my kids with tales about having seen the arrival of. Like my Dad and Xerography (although that was anything but boring, of course*...)

Side note: I want to be a boffin. Is there a US university I can buy the qualification from?

*The story goes: he was shown a proof-of-concept style demonstration of the technology, involving a charged plate being selectively uncharged with a projected image, then "dipped" in toner and pressed against paper, which was then heated and shown triumphantly. He described it as looking like lithography, only about a million times less efficient, with no obvious chance of being made practical.

This technology eventually became the ubiquitous photocopier and laser printer, of course. D'oh.

3. ian
    Coat

"Suit"-able for purpose

I can envision marketing suits of this rubber to the B&D crowd. With strategically placed lighting, they should be quite fetching.

Mines the black rubber one.

4. Alan Esworthy
    Paris Hilton

First adopters

I can see it now...the first profitable application will be an inflatable "love" doll with the size and color of each and every naughty bit separately controllable by the, ah, user.

Hmmm. It may even be possible to make it omnigender - and either serially or simultaneously at that.

(if you don't understand the Paris tag then ask your mother or father to explain it to you)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

TV Clothing?

Nothing new there! Why, a swift google search reveals.....

OH!

(The one that buttons up the wrong way, please...)

6. Rob
    Paris Hilton

folded!

wow, you can fold it 1000 times? we should make paper out of it..

7. Roger Heathcote
    Joke

WOW

"the display can even be folded 1000 times without its performance being affected."

That's quite a feat being able to fold a screen to less than the Plank length without affecting its performance!

8. Anonymous John
    Coat

"hundreds of OLEDs"

Sounds expensive.

Mine's the XXL HD one.

9. raving angry loony

Camo?

1600x1600 dp(square)i active camouflage? I wonder if they'll milk that particular beast as much as they're mining the flying car?

10. John Smith Gold badge
    Happy

@david S.

"he was shown a proof-of-concept style demonstration of the technology,"

Good grief that sounds like something Chester Carlson would have been demonstrating back in the later 1930s.

To be fair to your dad (who sounds like he declined this business opportunity) it takes a *lot* of imagination to go from that to a photocopier. And a great deal of trust in the team that's going to do the work. My reading on innovations suggests all serious innovations *never* run to anybodies original idea of a development or marketing schedule. While all of them *superficially* resemble existing things (printing is just a sort of mechanical writing) in reality they are the *start* of the art. Time will tell if this one is the tipping point into large scale acceptance.

This topic is closed for new posts.