back to article Darth Vader tops movie misquote poll

Darth Vader's "Luke, I am your father" has topped a poll of movie misquotes - classic lines now stamped on the common conciousness but which are not actually as they were originally spoken. In fact, Vader told Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back "No, I am your father", as our Star Wars-savvy readers are doubtless aware. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dennis
    Thumb Up

It was all within the rules.

This has to be the new quote on the block.

I did nothing wrong.... it was all within the rules.

I sure this one will be quoted in the law courts up and down the land.

Im sure it will be misquoted to be 'I did nothing wrong as predefinded by the honourable lawmakers of this country'

2. Barry

Michael Caine in Zulu

"Stop.. throwing.. those.. bloody.. spears.. at.. me!!"

3. Xris Middleton
    Flame

Should I complete the article for you?

1. No, I am your father. (Star Wars V)

2. Magic mirror on the wall - who is the fairest one of all? (Snow White)

3. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk? (Dirty Harry)

4. Play it, Sam. (Casablanca)

5. Good evening, Clarice. (Silence of the Lambs)

6. Scotty, beam us up! (Star Trek)

7. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. (Gone With the Wind)

8. If you build it, he will come. (Field of Dreams)

9. Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. (Wizard of Oz)

10. Mrs. Robinson - you are trying to seduce me .... Aren't you? (The Graduate)

Courtesy of a bit of googling

Courtesy of someone else who used Wikiquote

P.S. I want the 2 mins back it took me to find this.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well that's another fine mess you've gotten us into!

Which, of course, should be "another NICE mess".

"Another Fine Mess" is the title of one of Stan and Ollie's films and as far as I know, Ollie never actually said it.

That would be my vote anyway.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

It's the old, "close enough for purpose", syndrome.

6. Edwin
    Thumb Up

illiterati?

of course, the snow white quote quoted here as a misquotation is correct in my translation of the fairy tale.

If we're starting to see film as definitive over original print, I can't help but worry...

7. jubtastic1

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

I believe this is from the homage to 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre' in Blazing Saddles. (at least IMDB agrees heh)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Thanks Xris

How did The Register believe they could get away with such a scandal?

9. Gareth

mirror mirror on the wall?

Surely that's not a film misquote - it's an accurate quote of the fairy tale the film is based on.

10. Ross Fleming
    Coat

Hello Clarice

Could claim you're quoting Hannibal (2001): "Is this Clarice? Why, hello Clarice"

But then you'd have to admit seeing that dreadful movie (though oddly more plausible than the book)

11. Metalattakk
    Coat

Title? We don' need no steenkeen' title...

11. "Zulus - fahsands of 'em!"

12. "Don't shoot 'til you see the whites of their eyes..."

(They'd have won if they'd kept their eyes shut.)

12. Peter Simpson

2001 - A Space Odyssey

I'm sorry, Dave...I don't think I can do that

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Magic Mirror ...

Then the film misquotes the fairy tale. Being from Germany I grew up with Grimm's fairy tales and it definitely goes: "Spieglein, Spieglein, an der Wand ..."

14. Nano nano

Punctuation misquote ?

I would have thought that since the first sentence was what "the punk" would have been asking himself ('direct speech'), it should itself be in quotation marks , i.e.

""Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

(also added the comma !)

15. Svein Skogen
    Flame

Actually...

The "Beam me up, Scotty" is a correct quote, but it's from Star Trek IV, "The Voyage Home", and is said by Kirk close to the end of the movie.

//Svein

16. Graham Jordan

I'm going to punch you in the ovaries

From The Anchorman has landed me in trouble once or twice. My boss was NOT impressed.

17. Simon Heffer
    Happy

Rats

Don't forget - "You dirty rat" James Cagney, from "Taxi!".

18. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Stinkin' badges?

Steenkin' badges, surely.

19. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Up

Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Casablanca

> 4. Play it, Sam. (Casablanca)

That is Ilsa telling Sam to play it. The misquote is usually associated with the Bogart character, Rick, when he asks Sam to play the song again;

RICK: You played it for her and you can play it for me.

SAM: Well, I don't think I can remember it.

RICK: If she can stand it, I can. Play it!

Not quite as catchy as the misquote though.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And here I was

Thinking the biggest misquote of them all was "I love the smell of napalm in the morning - smells like victory" - instead of the complete quotation "I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. It smelled like ... victory". Wonder why it didn't even show up on that list.

And yes, here the original written tale also started the line with the equivalent of "mirror, mirror on the wall..."

22. dracotrapnet
    Happy

Shark bait.

Most likely misquoted due to other movies/tv shows/cartoons misquoting so they dont have plagerisim problems and people requote the misquote.

23. Tony

Badgers?

We don't need no stinking badgers!

24. Torben Mogensen

Another 2001 movie misquote

"My God, it's full of stars!" actually wasn't said in the original movie. It was, however, in both Clarke's 2001 book and in the 2010 movie.

So a good movie trivia question is "From which movie is the quote `My God, it's full of Stars!'". :-)

25. Dapprman

Dirty Harry Quote

I seem to remember the full quote from Dirty Harry is

"in all the excitement I lost count of all the shots I've fired. It could have been five, it could of been six. You've got to ask yourself Do I feel lucky, well do you punk?"

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fixed quotes

It does seem that Hollywood has a tendency to put the misquote into a sequel at some point (where they can) - "Beam me up Scotty", "Hello Clarice" are two examples I have at the moment, but sure there are more.

27. amanfromMars Silver badge

Last Tango in Paris Again with Crack Craic ClockWork Oranges...... Wasted Listless Units

Do I feel lucky? We'll do ya punk? is another Derivative Option Hedged in Futures/Cloaked In House AIR&dDevelopments

28. John Donovan
    Coat

Badgers...

"Badgers...? We don't need no steeekin' badgers!" - Raul from UHF.

29. Christoph

The real version

Actually, it's:

Luke, my name is Darth Vader. I am your father. Prepare to die.

30. Mathew White

Better silence miss-quote

Cant believe it, they missed the most iconic miss-quote from Silence of the Lambs:

"I had his liver, with a nice Chianti... <suck> <suck> <suck> <suck>"

is of course

"I had his liver with some fava beans, and a nice Chianti... <suck> <suck> <suck> <suck>"

Or maybe Dr Lector was in a special Atkins diet remake.

31. Dan Wilkinson

Title

The stinkin' badges quote would be accurate if you are quoting from Blazing Saddles...

If he got it wrong, then that's Mel Brooks' lookout, but it's still valid :)

32. Dapprman
    Coat

Badgers Badgers

If we're going to keep getting people doing the "Badgers we need no stinkin' badgers", then are we soon to get some MUSHROOM ! MUSHROOM! quotes ?

Some one pass me my coat - it's the one the hamsters have been dancing on

33. DirkGently
    Dead Vulture

RE: 2001 - A Space Odyssey

Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

HAL: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Tombstone because it's the nearest thing to the monolith in 2001.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Copyright...

As has been mentioned above, misquotes are often used as a means of making a reference without treading on copyright-shaped toes.

Disney's Snow White, on the other hand, is far more insidious. They took the most quoted line of the story and rewrote it, not to improve or to modernise, but simply to poison it. They couldn't copyright "mirror, mirror, on the wall" on the grounds that it's public domain, but they can copyright "magic mirror, on the wall", because it is a "new" derivative work. If kids grow up hearing "magic mirror", then they'll reject the original version as wrong. As Every Single Book of Snow White except the "authorised" Disney version uses this line, they'll get kids to decry the books as "wrong", thus giving Disney a near monopoly on what was a public domain work.

See also "Pinnochio" and "Jimeney Cricket"; "The Little Princess", "The Little Mermaid" and "Happy Ending"; "Sleeping Beauty" and "falling asleep for a few months rather than 100 years so that she could actually meet the prince who woke her up".

Bloody Disney. Won't somebody (else) think of the children????

35. Bassey
    Thumb Down

Fairy Tales

Are the above nit-pickers seriously trying to suggest that there is such a thing as a "definitive" version of a fairy tale? Surely the whole point of a fairy tale is that they come from the oral tradition and so are the epitome of "Chinese whispers". It's like suggesting there is a right (and, therefore, wrong) version of the old playground classic of "Jingle Bells, Batman smells....".

36. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Fairy Tales

"Are the above nit-pickers seriously trying to suggest that there is such a thing as a "definitive" version of a fairy tale?"

In the case of Grimms', yes. Are you seriously suggesting that the works of the brothers Grimm don't occupy a seminal place in European culture?

37. Tony

"I had his liver with some fava beans, and a nice Chianti"

I always took this as proof the man was a bit mental.

A bottle of South American Malbec would obviously go much better with census taker's liver...

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re:Fairy Tales

Ken Hagan, I think you miss Bassey's point. The Grimms were folklorists, collectors of fairy tales rather than their authors. Their original collections contained extensive notes on variants of tales.

The "definitive" versions of most tales that we now attribute to them comes from an abridged collection expressly for children that they produced later.

39. Apocalypse Later

Wayne's Word

My favourite is John Wayne's supposed quote, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do". I've never heard him say this in any film, although countless other stars have said it in imitation. I've heard him say, "A man oughta do what he thinks is right" and "Well, you do what ya gotta do", both in the context of distancing his character from the proposed action, but never the oft quoted line. Am I wrong? Anyone?

40. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

what, no chuck Norris quotes

I'm disappointed.....

41. Martin Carroll
    Alert

re: gone with the wind

Ive never heard anyone say "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn", are you sure el reg didnt mix up the incorrect with correct lines for this one?

42. Mike Crawshaw
    Coat

Apocalypse Now & Star Wars...

As Jose Bernardo B R Silva said at 12:00, the "I love the smell of napalm in a morning..." is a mangled monster of a misquote that appears far too often, I'm surprised it's not making an appearance.

My personal bugbear is when people MEAN to say "Veetcha hwankee Chewbacca" ("At last we have the mighty Chewbacca") and ACTUALLY say "vichy hankie Chewbacca" (Chewbacca is a French tissue"). Huttese is a subtle and nuanced language, don'tcherknow.

The coat fashioned into stormtrooper armour that makes small children shout abuse in the street, thanks!

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dirty Harry Quote

I looked it up on YouTube and it is:

"I know what you're thinking- "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But, being this is a 44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do you, punk?"

This is the first time he uses it, with the bank robbers. I think it is exactly the same (with more venom and an extra bullet, natch) with Scorpio but I can't be bothered finding out for sure.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never mind this rubbish

As Bill Bailey noted, Dave Prowse tried to convince George Lucas to let him do the Darth Vader voice. Misquoted version, because it sounds better, "Luke, Oi aam yer faaather" and "The Force is strong in thissun".

45. Random Coolzip

@Dirty Harry Quote

ISTR it was something more along the lines of:

"I know what you're thinkin', kid. 'Did he fire six shots, or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all the excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But given that this is a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum, and could blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

46. Nano nano

False to the character ?

I don't think the book's Dr. Lecter/Lektor would ever have used the naff phrase, "a nice Chianti" (correct me if it's in the book !) ... but I guess the scriptwriter didn't want to appear too elitist .

47. WonkoTheSane
    Coat

Star Wars - Original edit

Dave Prowse (well known Green Cross Code Man & guy inside the Darth Vader suit) once told me that the line he was actually given to read when shooting that scene was:-

"Luke, Obi-Wan was your father".

Mine's the one with the keys to the Millenium Falcon in the pocket.

48. Steve Mann

Bah!

The "Steenkin Badges" misquote wouldn't have been funny if it hadn't been in the wild *long* before "Blazing Saddles". It was, and so was I.

Gawd, what hath we wrought with this internet "history by consensus" crap? IMDB? They are good for titles and cast lists. Much beyond that and you are in the world of "contributing readers" i.e. Wiki-Saucerloon Land. Caveat Emptor.

Two of my faves from the print world are "Elementary, my dear Watson" and "Alas poor Yorick. I knew him well." (Won a quid off me dad with that one, and him with a Complete Works Of Bill S. an' all).

49. Joe Zeff
    Alien

Another fine misquote

There's another fine misquote left out of the list, although it's probably not been used in years, and it's more the quote of a line that was never said than a mangling of an actual line. I don't care how many voice impersonators mimicked Cary Grant saying, "Judy, Judy, Judy," he never said it. I know, because I've seen Angles Have Wings, the movie it's attributed to, and it's not there.

50. Frumious Bandersnatch

The real version

> Actually, it's: "Luke, my name is Darth Vader. I am your father. Prepare to die."

Actually, the version I remember is more like:

Luke> No, I don't believe you! ... but ... there's no way you could have known that. How could you have known what I got for Christmas?

Darth> Believe me, Luke. Here's how I know. I felt your presents...

(badgers? we don't need no steenkin badgers!)

51. Steve Poll
    Happy

@wonko

David Prowse was the man in the suit but it was James Earl Jones that did the reading as Mr Prowse has a broad west-country accent - See above for Bill Bailey like dialogue

52. Simon Bacon

Minor corrections

Random Coolzip - Pretty sure it was a .44 magnum.

Nano nano - Yup, "nice Chianti" rings as false as a tin bell. In the book it was a "big Amarone".

Mmm Amarone.

53. Scott

@Metalattakk

nice Bottom quote there ;)

54. martin allen
    Alert

Beam me up Scotty - actually it is said...

...In Star Trek IV Kirk actually does say "Beam me up Scotty" I remember it, because at the time it was known that in the original series it was never said like that.

However you could argue it was a in-joke.

55. Mithvetr

@ Steve Poll

<< David Prowse was the man in the suit but it was James Earl Jones that did the reading >>

Yes, but what Dave Prowse read out was deliberately different to what James Earl Jones read. Prowse's line, as read on set and then dubbed over later, had Vader telling Luke that Obi-Wan was his father, rather than the actual line that Vader was. Knowledge of the true line was very tightly controlled - even the cast didn't know it - so that the shock of the revelation wouldn't be leaked to the public in advance.

Although we now fully expect Sinister Bad Guy to turn out to be the father of Plucky Good Guy, it's only because ESB made it such an iconic development.

Aw. I'm a geek.

56. AJ
    Stop

@Svein, @AC, @martin allen

RE: Star Trek "Beam me up, Scotty"

The phrase is NEVER used in the original TV series OR any of the Star Trek films. In Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Kirk says "Scotty, beam me up." Anyone who insists otherwise should watch the film again!

57. Simon Millard
    Flame

Steenken Badges

I thought this was from Blazing Saddles?

58. David Stever
    Heart

@ Nano Nano

In the movie, the way that Lector says the line, it's obvious that he's mangling the word 'Chianti', knowing that it's use is out of character for him. I would characterize it as a Northern New Jersey / Tony Soprano pronounciation of the word. THAT was in character for him.

59. Henry North London
    Jobs Halo

Gone with the Wind

Frankly my dear I dont give a damn...

60. weirdcult
    Stop

@@Dirty Harry Quote

"I know what you're thinkin', kid. 'Did he fire six shots, or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all the excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But given that this is a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum, and could blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

i think should read:

"I know what you're thinkin', kid. 'Did he fire six shots, or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all the excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But given that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and could blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

61. Andrew Jones

TV Shows

from Las Vegas: "I'm going to slap you so hard, your unborn kids will come out well behaved"

love that line

This topic is closed for new posts.