back to article Acer Aspire One 751

The new Acer Aspire One 751 has a screen that measures 11.6in on the diagonal with a resolution of 1366 x 768 and that’s mighty big for a netbook. As it happens, we were told a few months back that Intel has strict rules about the sale of Atom N-series processors to avoid cannibalising the sales of Core 2 and Centrino products …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. s
    Thumb Down

Do they really not get it?

Portable and cheap. That's the selling point of these thigns.

Give me the 10' screen (as it seems to be the nicest comprise) with the better resolution and you have the screen I wish my Eee 1000H had.

And why no wireless N! They can't add that much to the price as plenty of other netbooks have it.

Another failure...

2. b
    Stop

so what?

er, i got an HP TX1340EA, i bought it last year..

12.1" TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA ) (check it on amazon)

it's a "tablet" pc, i could have done without the touch screen and swivel screen and save £100-200 (full price = £700!), but it's still a nice little lappy :D

cheers,

bill

(no link to my forum, i got told off!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How heavy is it?

Around 3lbs and it's a contender... but I'd be much much more interested if it had Ion and an N280 :-(

4. Chika
    Coat

More fool me!

"However, the price is getting uncomfortably close to the point where you can buy a proper laptop with a proper CPU."

I've been thinking along those lines for a while now. It's probably why I was able to pick up a standard Aspire One recently for around £180 and a few outlets seem to be happy to let them go for that much or, I since find, cheaper. But then more fool me for thinking that the idea behind the netbook was to provide a low end mobile solution.

5. James

"where have we seen that before?"

The pinch zoom suffers from exactly the same problems on the MacBook, maybe it's just me but I can't get anything between 1 word per screen and an entire page the size of a postage stamp.

I just don't think the pinch zoom action works if you're not actually doing it on the screen, it breaks the intuitiveness of the gesture.

6. E_Nigma
    Thumb Up

Nice

First to answer AC's question, it's 1.24kg, which should be approximately 2.73lbs. :)

I like it. Small but not too small to have satisfactory screen resolution and keyboard size, light but still equipped with adequate battery, capable of performing everyday tasks, including 720p decoding thanks to the PowerVR graphics core, it easily beats every netbook I've seen until now.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Cheap, light, long battery life.

In all three categories, is there anything else with a full size keyboard that can beat this?

8. André Marques
    Dead Vulture

Non smooth zoom...

"We feel that it's more likely that the Intel GMA 500 integrated graphics core in the Intel US15W chipset lies at the root of the, well 'problem' is too strong a word, so let’s call it an issue."

Actually it's a software issue. IE, Firefox, etc... move between percentages when issued a zoom command, ence the jerking motion. You can try zooming on any browser on your Skulltrail machine and I bet you would have teh same issue.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3-cell version in the photos? Or is the 6-cell flush fitting?

Does the 6-cell version have a flush-fitting battery? Or are these photos depicting the 3-cell version?

Please clarify this for us if you can! Thanks!

10. Track Smart

Are those photos correct for the 6-cell?

Q: Is the 6-cell battery option really flush with the case? Or are these photos of the 3-cell battery version?

It would be great to know how much extra bulk the 6-cell version (supposedly tested) adds to the chassis.

[I tried to post this earlier today, but the moderators must be busy... ]

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like