back to article Microsoft challenges IBM to Websphere duel

Microsoft is trying to get under IBM's skin with some benchmarks run in its Redmond labs using Big Blue's own Java-based test, Trade, and a variant of it ported to C#, which Microsoft calls .NET StockTrader. But as Microsoft throws down the benchmarking gauntlet, IBM is ignoring the calls for a WebSphere duel at the Middleware …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jimbo

interesting

very interesting article... I'm just wondering why you hate Microsoft so much.

2. Rob Moss
    Thumb Up

Predictable Microsoft benchmarks

Great article, good points, picking out the facts and making your own comparisons, showing where Microsoft have predictably skewed the tests in their own favour, yet again.

The problem is, that Microsoft do this all the time. They paid Netcraft to craft a benchmark between IIS and Apache to entirely favour IIS, which it did. The worst part is that some people do believe it and swallow it whole.

The key here is the job title of the Microsoft employee issuing the latest load of twoddle.

"The gauntlet was thrown down by Steven Martin, senior director of developer platform marketing at Microsoft"

if ( $jobtitle =~ /marketing/ig ) {

$load_of_shite = 1;

}

3. OffBeatMammal
    Paris Hilton

why the anti-Silverlight rant

Timothy I'm guessing you have Flash installed on your machine? If so, what's your problem with Silverlight?

There are a bunch of great sites - http://memorabilia.hardrock.com, http://playboyarchive.com, http:/SmoothHD.com for instance - that have all had fairly positive responses on this very site.

I find it a little strange that a journalist writing about the interweb while writing an impartial Microsoft / IBM piece finds time to include a dig to a piece of technology that it growing in leaps and bounds

(Paris, coz she apparently likes plug-ins)

4. Tam Lin

Steal from the US and give to the EU

"... Microsoft is giving away its Windows middleware ..."

It is of course illegal to use monopoly profits in this manner (although it's not enforced in most third-world countries where bribes are commonplace, cronyism runs rampant, and judicial appointments are sold like cheeseburgers).

However, it now seems the proper time for Brussels to start drawing up some nice billion € decorative touches to the multi-billion € infrastructure improvements that Intel will soon be funding. As long as no one on the continent is stupid enough to dip a toe into Microsoft's tar pit, it's all profit.

5. Asif Youcare

Is Stock Trader meant to demonstrate speed?

Remember when Microsoft did a similar stunt with Sun's "Pet Store" demo. That demo was meant to demonstrate a range of language and platform features, and speed was never a consideration. Microsoft did a .NET knock-off designed for speed and with some the features missing, and of course their version was faster. So what?

Has IBM even tried to optimise this demo for speed, or is that not its intended use?

6. david

Am I missing something...

...I though the MS stack middleware component was BizTalk Server. And the shiny new 2009 version was the mutts's Nuts. Shouldn't they have used that as a like to like middleware component?

Any thoughts on why they didn't? (of course we all know the answer, the tps would go through the floor)

So is it the case that the message tracking and single onetime delivery and resilience were missing from the c# version but the websphere infrastructure were providing them natively?

I'd go for a peer reviewed independant test, and if IBM are sure of their ground they should be snatching MS hand off - Any thoughts on why they aren't?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

@david

"I'd go for a peer reviewed independant test, and if IBM are sure of their ground they should be snatching MS hand off - Any thoughts on why they aren't?"

If I were IBM I'd be doing a full internal investigation and making damn sure that I could beat MS, then stepping forward and rebuking their figures before negotiating the terms of this third party evaluation.

It pays to get the facts straight before reacting.

8. Brian
    Dead Vulture

Kidding, right?

Ahh remember the good ole days when it was cool to be a M$-hating geek? It seems ElReg is the last bastion of the hold-outs.

Your bias is clear which, to you quote you, makes your article "null and void as far as I am concerned" as your objectivity is obviuosly challenged, at best. Maybe it would be best if you stick to writing blogs, where the entire point is your "opinion".

Believe it or not, the majority of IT professionals are completely capable of reaching their own opinions when given the facts. Your (and the site in general) tired, childish anti-Microsoft rhetoric leads me elsewhere.

9. Psymon

@offbeatmammal

While I have nothing against silverlight perse, I can see Timmothy's point.

For me, it's plugin overload that makes me cringe at the sight of yet another box displaying a jigsaw symbol.

I haven't even bothered with shockwave since the last remaster (over a year ago when I replaced hard disks), and I used to develop software in that! It's the same with browsers. I only caved last week and installed Crome on my home machine. The only reason I did was firefox 2 had become too unstable, and I'm too lazy to update it.

Why do none of these plugins install painlessly? Instead, opening another window, forcing you to download seperately, and read every option during install to avoid the inevitable bloatware.

Suns Java is appalling for it - All I required the other night was to UPDATE it by a minor revision to get something working - it downloaded a 100+mb file, stuck a load of crap in my startup, and tried to give me open office!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

M$-hating?

@Brian,

bye!

Lots of us like doing ths. :-)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Re: Kidding, right?

"Believe it or not, the majority of IT professionals are completely capable of reaching their own opinions when given the facts."

Is this "the facts" as in Microsoft's "get the facts" campaign or something else? The author could be generally positive about Microsoft and still legitimately complain about Web non-standards like Silverlight. But I suppose the majority of your "majority" think it's all about "tools for the job" and don't bother to think about things like interoperability and real standards if they can get the budget for the latest gear and wares.

"Your (and the site in general) tired, childish anti-Microsoft rhetoric leads me elsewhere."

Tell me how to subscribe so that I can cancel my subscription, eh?

12. lennie
    IT Angle

This is an Opinion, right?

@Coward " Web non-standards like Silverlight"

how is silverlight this? you should stop spewing your FUD out of your ass which is your mouth.

@ the author "This site requires you to install the Microsoft equivalent to Flash, Silverlight, and I have managed thus far to avoid installing it. Because I'll give you a direct link to the PDF, which is here. Now you don't have to install Silverlight, either)."

your Article lost me when your bias became this evident while you ever so slightly force your views on the reader. I stopped reading.

I generaly find Silverlight videos sharper and more better looking than flash videos. plus I've seen a lot of silverlight apps and they're quite nice.

If you want to hate the company go ahead but don't spew your FUD or implicitly force your views on the reader.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wut

> ... Microsoft disclaimer that clearly stated 'Microsoft cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information presented' in the report that forms the basis of these claims

>"We stand by our numbers," said Martin.

14. Franklin
    Linux

@lennie

"I stopped reading."

If only you'd not "ever so slightly force[d] you views on the reader", and just not commented.

15. jake Silver badge

@lennie

"I generaly find Silverlight videos sharper and more better looking than flash videos. plus I've seen a lot of silverlight apps and they're quite nice."

::shrugs:: I block both Flash & Silverlight. I've never seen a useful website that requires either.

16. James Billingham
    Stop

I wouldn't trust M$ to tune my J2EE app server!

Bet M$ did not enable Large Pages on AIX - free 10-15% for Java Apps... Also bet they did not a. Use generational concurrent gc and b. Tune it properly, the IBM JVMs default nursery size is far too small for WAS so u need to up it. From this I'd expect 20-30% performance improvement, assuming it is gc constrained which is likely...

Straight away without using any WAS7 specific performance features this would put the stats they got for WAS a lot nearer the .NET ones, and thats on a M$ crippled test :-P

As usual these comparisons are a joke - ppl do not make decisions based on them as if they are a .NET outfit then they will use M$ if Java then they will use WAS or any other J2EE app server. They are fodder for M$ fanbois to witter about and IBM to easily disprove.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a question of bias ...

I fail to see how Microsoft can hope to even get serious consideration in this arena. People who buy and use WebSphere do not and most likely never will buy, or entertain buying, Microsoft solutions.

Rightly so.

And what in the name of sanity has Silverlight got to do with any of this? If I were obliged to install Silverlight just to review a bunch of (probably skewed) MS tests I'd not be bothering either.

Some of the comments here are infantile. It does however reinforce my view of those I generally regard as MS trolls.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like