back to article Permabit archives your bulk data

Where do put your archive data, those masses of unstructured and semi-structured files that you can't throw away but must keep online just in case? Should it go on bulk SATA disk tiers in primary drive arrays or on dedicated archive arrays? Permabit says put it on dedicated and highly intelligent arrays, a Permabit Enterprise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeremy
    Dead Vulture

Good god.

How much did that article cost, then?

2. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

I can still roll my own cheaper, faster, with better geographic distribution, and with fewer headaches, thanks to the fact that I'm not paying yet another third party.

To put it another way, ask 'em for a firm quote on storing 5PB/year, hopefully increasing by 25%/year, for the next 5 years. You will not get a quote. The cloud is just that ... a cloud. Ephemeral, and likely to either leak or evaporate at the slightest provocation.

But what do I know.

3. Ian Rogers
    Thumb Down

Nice advert

Not much analysis....

4. Dave
    Alert

Cost

So over £1000 per TeraByte of capacity is cheap these days?

I know that raw discs are only part of this solution, but cheap SATA 1TB drives are easily under the ton these days, meaning that over 90% of the cost of this is 'add on'.

<- Representative of the reaction last time I told my boss that a quarter of a million was cheap.

This topic is closed for new posts.