back to article LG to stop making plasma TVs?

LG it to become the latest manufacturer to exit the plasma telly business, it has been claimed. The firm will stop making plasma panels later this year, industry sources cited by website DigiTimes have alleged. It's also been claimed that LG will then sell equipment and technologies related to its PDP TV production business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

No longer about quality.

It's all about cost. Consumers have been lead to believe TFT sets look as good as plasma, by manufacturers keen so sell the much cheaper to produce TFT sets.

Shame, they don't know what they are missing. I have yet to see a TFT that can even remotely come close to the quality of even a middle or the range Panasonic plasma, let alone a high end Pioneer. Even a 720p Plasma will easilly outperform a 1080p TFT.

2. David Gosnell

If they're going out ...

... it's with a bang, if this is anything to go by:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39029474,49302077,00.htm

"LG PS8000: LG gets serious about plasma TVs"

3. elderlybloke
    Happy

Plasma verses LCD/TFT

I am no expert on TV screens, but I understand that Plasma can be viewed at a far greater angle than LCD.

When I replace my not so old CRT TV I will go for Plasma.. Our Consumer organisation gives a good writeup on Plasma, and that's good enough for me.

4. Glenn Robinson
    Thumb Up

don't rule out LED LCD

To be honest I don't agree on the comments that Plasma has a better picture than LCD, having owned a few LCD's and Plasmas I can honestly say my Samsung LED LCD beat the Samsung Plasma I had hands down for picture quality - the blacks are amazing. Coupled with a very subtle 100hz (on low setting) it removes virtually all LCD blur and makes fast moving action scenes watchable - even more so than my Plasma ever did. Throw into the mix the fact your not going to get images burned in (logo's etc - even with pixel shifting turned on I used to have massive problems) its a no-brainer.

In my opinion Plasma died when LED LCD was invented. Its the classic car of flat panel TV's - far too high maintenace to be used for everyday viewing as well as films.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like