back to article Canon PowerShot SX200 IS compact camera

So, you’re off on your travels and you’re wondering what type of camera to pack along with the suntan lotion and the insect repellent. A digital SLR takes great photos, but it’s a bit on the bulky side. A compact is highly pocketable but there are compromises when it comes to performance, while a hybrid doesn’t save you a great …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Given
    Boffin

My eyes, my eyes

...the image stabilisation system worked a treat in keeping things sharp...

Methinks you accidentally switched the 'image stabilisation on' and 'image stabilisation off' labels. (Unless the bottom of your garden is naturally blurry.)

2. Aaron

Image Stabilisation

I hope you mixed up the pictures and captions! Great looking canmera, have used ISUS' for years only bad thing they have introduced was the scroll wheel and now with this one the pop up flash.

3. Mike Moyle

Just to let you know...

The two cathedral shots don't link and (I hope!) you've reversed the image stabilization on/off pictures.

On the camera itself -- I've been happy with both Canon compact cameras that I've owned but, yeah, the lack of optical viewfinder may keep me off this one.

4. Alex

Wrong battery type

If this is meant to be a camera for travelling, then it should take AA batteries, easily available world-wide. As it is, if your fancy custom lithium battery dies, or the internal charging circuit, or the charger/power adaptor (which is yet another thing to lug round), then you're stuffed.

5. Rob McDougall

Hm.

Looks like a re-hash of the 400D with a slightly crippled sensor.... Similar ISO issues, etc etc...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Wrong battery type

Spare Li-Ion camera batteries are cheap, with a higher energy density (both by weight and volume) than AA cells. Chargers are small, light and reliable - I'd rather "lug" one around than a load of AA cells. It's clear you have a downer on Li-Ion and are resorting to extremely far-fetched reasons to dismiss them.

7. Nev
    Thumb Up

Thumbs up rom me

Just grabbed one of these.

It is a great little camera with a rich feature set.

The 2 drawbacks as pointed out by the review and others are the stupid flash that pops up all the time (firmware fix please, Canon?) and the use of a Li-Ion battery.

Although not using AAs does mean that the flash recycle time and battery life time especially when using the flash are significantly better than my A720 IS.

It is more solid and more pocketable than the A720.

8. Alex Osmond
    Thumb Down

Fail

Travel = sunshine = need for optical viewfinder

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flash "firmware fix"?

I doubt it's anything to do with firmware. That would require a separate solenoid/motor for the flash. I expect it's simply linked to the lens motor.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sloooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

At that price I'd expect a faster lens - I'll stick with my DMC-LX3 I think

No problem with the lack of Optical VF though. The IS will make up for the lack of third stabilising point (ie. your forehead) and I find the screens on these new cameras are pretty good in direct sunlight.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like