back to article Nokia issues battery warning

Batteries used in a range of Nokia handsets, from the 1100 to the latest E60, are at risk of overheating during charging. Of 300 million BL-5C batteries manufactured by Matsushita Battery Industrial Co. for Nokia last year, 46 million belong to the dodgy batch. One hundred incidents have already been reported, but none have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You would think they would have worded it a little nicer

Product Advisory: Nokia BL-5C battery

Your battery is not among those manufactured by Matsushita between December 2005 and November 2006 and your battery will not be replaced.

www.nokia.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer service Press About Nokia Nokia worldwide Locations Site terms Privacy policy

Copyright ©2007 Nokia. All rights reserved.

You would think they would have worded it a little nicer

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's OK. I've got a fake one!

It's OK. I've got a fake one!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's so unfair...

In my office we have Dells, Thinkpads, Sonys, Nokia BL5Cs, and never, ever have I had one that's come up as bad on the serial number checks systems.

I want to see one go boom...

Actually I've tried to distribute as many hazardous items in the general direction of the bean counters just on the off chance.

The BOFH would never have this problem.

4. t3h

Hazardous?

"Actually I've tried to distribute as many hazardous items in the general direction of the bean counters just on the off chance."

Just leave the "battery testing device" (aka a piece of wire between + and -) in place when handing over the laptop. Be prepared to run...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: You would think they would have worded it a little nicer

The cheeky bastards. Better something like, "Your battery is not among those manufactured by Matsushita between December 2005 and November 2006 and therefore you are not at risk of having your face or house burned to a crisp. By the way we're very sorry for risking your safety and having you open up your phone to fart around with tiny little serial numbers. We did consider using Club Nokia to inform you of all this palava, but felt that this would confuse users, who are used to Club Nokia providing absolutely nothing of any use. Please continue to read The Register for any further quietly mumbled, begrudging announcements about your safety. Cheers and that. xxx Nokia"

6. Tom Peach

Burnt Finger?

Most people keep their phone in their pocket!

7. Remy Redert

Recharging

The problem only occurs when the phone is recharging it seems, so your pockets are safe (Unless you generally leave your battery in your pocket while it's recharging).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Death heatray phone

I have one of the Nokia batteries of death in my N70, which I have confirmed on their web site.

It does not just overheat when charging. It gets unpleasantly hot during phone calls too; so much so that one needs to use the speakerphone feature for calls of more than 30 seconds.

Who do I speak to now about the eye damage that resulted from trying to read the minuscule font size used for the battery serial number?

9. Ishkandar

Non-duff batteries

Ever since a duff exploding battery incident about 4 years ago, I have taken to buying (at my own expense) the GP (Gold Peak) equivalents of the "official" batteries of Japanese the manufacturers.

They (the GP ones) are far cheaper, works just as well or better (they have larger capacity ones that the "official" manufacturers don't produce) and they have NEVER been known to over heat, catch fire or explode. So much for the highly praised Japanese quality control procedures when a tiny, little Singaporean company, manufacturing in China, can show them how it is done properly !!

Having said that, it could be that these batteries were shipped by mistake to the general public, since they could have been ordered by the Ninjas as disguised hand-grenades !!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nokia is Finnish

...and have you ever spoken with a Fin. They just just get to point ;)

11. Jeremy

Shame...

It blew a raspberry at my battery. Shame, thought I was going to get a free spare for a while :)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wanna spare?

..then enter the info in the website more than once. You can bet it's an automatic system, and they probably aint thought of that...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not the battery

"Death heatray phone

It does not just overheat when charging. It gets unpleasantly hot during phone calls too; so much so that one needs to use the speakerphone feature for calls of more than 30 seconds."

I think you'll find that's the radiation from the phone cooking your face.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Non-duff batteries

"Ever since a duff exploding battery incident about 4 years ago, I have taken to buying (at my own expense) the GP (Gold Peak) equivalents of the "official" batteries of Japanese the manufacturers."

So where do you get these from?

15. David

Nokia Battery Recall problem?

I used the Nokia battery recall check web page http://www.nokia.com/batteryreplacement/en/ and typed in my 26 digit serial number and luckily all was ok. I doubled checked the digits and they seemed to be correct but if I type a random 26 digit code in or change for example a "0" (zero) to an "O" (letter O) or a "1" (number 1) to a "l" (letter L) it still says all is ok. Surely this could mean people with faulty batteries could miss type their number and it would say all is ok. Shouldn't a check be performed on the 26 digit number to ensure the correct format or customers could have potentially defect batteries and not know it!!!

16. Jason Harvey

re: Nokia Battery Recall problem?

because it's easier and faster to search for a known pattern in the number or search a database of known bad numbers than to search a database of ALL the numbers. My phone had 1LI1 in it... and I could discern it all cause the ! has the little left cap on it while the I has no cap and the L is a normal L. as for O vs. 0 (zero) ... I always assume zero first when the sequenced referenced is a serial "number".

for those who question their reading abilities for the smaller than small numbers... a handy dandy reading glass can be yours for the low, low price of $xx. simply go to your local market and pick up your own magnifying glass. or better yet, borrow one from a friend. this will not however solve the problem with o vs. 0 though.

of course you could always go to your local wireless dealer and have one of them get the eye strain reading that number.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like