back to article VMware unmasks next-gen hypervisor

As expected, server virtualization kingpin VMware will today take the wraps off its next generation hypervisor, ESX Server 4.0, and the related tools for managing it. They're now called vSphere rather than Virtual Infrastructure. The vSphere stack embodies a strategy and product set that VMware used to call the Virtual Data …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Amleth
    Thumb Down

Are you bloody kidding me?

It appears VMware is trying to confuse the market by rebranding their products and creating more SKUs. This is crap. With Microsoft, Citrix, Xen, and Oracle offering free hypervisors, free high availability and free live migration, many of us were expecting a price drop. According to this article/press release, live migration is $2200+ per processor. WTF? Appears after years of gouging customers, VMware is responding with the finger.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Schtop!

"Cloud OS"

NYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAGGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

3. Jamie Kephalas
    Coat

Excuse me...

...how much?!

bye.

4. Wortel

@Author

"and each VM could handle 4 MB of memory."

Don't you mean 4GB?

5. Tom Chiverton

Who (doesn't) check this stuff

"ESX Server 2.X, the hypervisor could span one or two processors and each VM could handle 4 MB of memory"

4 meg !?! ITYM gig.... unless v2 *was* *really* bad !

6. P. Lee
    Boffin

silly numbers!

255GB in a single VM?

Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

interesting

Impressive specs, assuming you ignore the 4M/4G typo; obviously vSphere is not for a small organisation... it will be interesting to see the uptake of this

vSphere now becomes a rather large SPOF target; hope the security around the management is tight.

@Roberth Amleth: if Microsoft, Citrix, Xen, and Oracle can match this, I have no doubt they would charge as well...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like