back to article HP ScanJet 3C takes lead on Bohemian Rhapsody

And now, because you secretly asked for it in your heart of hearts: a version of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody as played by an old scanner, floppy drive and Atari and TI computers. Not the best sounding version, mind, but squeezing the modern rock classic from creaks, hums, drones, beeps and squeaks of antique kit should soften …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Seán

Bravo

Screw Toshiba's fiddle playing tin can.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Thumbs up

That is a seriously cool use of old computer equipment. loved it, but then again I'm a geek like that.

3. Jeremy
    Heart

Bloody fantastic

That is all :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Freaking awesome!

That's just freaking awesome! Turning that gawdawful flatbed scanner noise into music? Genius!

And the "gong" at the end... priceless!

5. Jason Togneri
    Thumb Up

Nice one

Made me smile on a grim morning :-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Beelzebub has a devil on the sideboard...

I tried this but my Scanjet 3c died and it just doesn't sound or look as good even though I replaced it with an Epson GT6000.

There are some things that just shouldn't be messed with.

(excellent effort though, made I smile)

Paris, she should be messed with.

7. NogginTheNog
    Thumb Up

Art!

Now that is brillIiant! To have the skill, patience, not to mention the musical and technical skill, to create that is definitely artistic!

I went to see We Will Rock You (the Queen Musical) the other week, and frankly this is far more entertaining :-o

8. jake Silver badge

Someone has to say it ...

Q. What happens when a Cockney weight lifter rolls a member of The Goodies in fabric?

A. Bow he-man wraps Oddie ...

Sorry, Ms Bee. I know better, really.

9. Dave Harris
    Thumb Up

How...

How does someone even come up with an idea like that, let alone see it through?

Pure genius

10. John Lodge
    Go

Sad genius

That was good, very good - better than the original in places. ISTR that you could code IBM 360's to play tunes by generating radio interference. You could also get the golfball typewriter stripper too (if you need to ask you shouldn't really know)

11. Mike Hartley
    Heart

Un-frakkin-believable

Totally love it!

Now - own up, who's ripped it for their ringtone??? ;-)

12. Simon
    Go

Beautiful!

Imagine the fun you could have with this, printing out a specially prepared text document and playing "Guess the tune" as it prints.

Looking forward to a new fad starting here.

I do enjoy the old retro music stuff, I like to load up my Commodore 64 SID emulator ever so often and listening to a nice Martin Galway track, oh I can be such a geek some days.

Anyhow, Bravo!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

True hacking

Nuff said...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Marvellous

I always joked that the photocopier was possessed by Stalin, but now I know that Freddie Mercury was reincarnated as a scanner I think I need a hug.

15. brimful

Brings a tear of joy to my eye.

I always knew old computer parts had potential.

16. Joe
    Happy

This just made my day!

This is what I was hoping for from the article about the music made by old computer sounds a month or so ago (that used samples, bah!). This is hardcore!

17. Luke
    Happy

Wow!

Made my day! Fantastic!

18. Graham Marsden

Ok, but...

... years ago you could get the Commodore 64's disk drive to play Amazing Grace or When I'm 64 and before that, the Altair 8800 played Fool on the Hill and Daisy Daisy...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Oh My God!!!!!

Has bd594 being in contact with PRS/ASCAP or other collections agents for the MAFIAA, he could be sued for 30K for the irreparable damage he has caused the multimillionaires queen by not paying a licence fee.

Shame on you bd594, you shameless pirate for such a fragment breech of the copyright laws, will somebody not think of the poor musicians and record executive that have been damaged by such flagrant breeches of the copyright laws!!!!!

Paris, who has no shame either

20. andy gibson

Not as good as....

The guy who covered Radiohead's "Nude" with a Sinclair Spectrum, Epson LX86 printer and HP Scanner.

21. Steve
    Thumb Up

Scanjet 5P

Not quite as Flash (aaah-aaaaah), but the HP Scanjet 5P plays Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" straight out of the box - just select SCSI address 0, push the scan button and switch on.

22. teacake

Wow.

That. Is. Brilliant.

23. Steve

Amiga

Sure saw something years ago with a amiga floppy drive that was amde to play music lol

24. whitespacephil
    Thumb Up

Radiohead

Didn't someone do a similar thing with a Radiohead remix compo?

25. Dex
    Thumb Up

Epic Win!

Now i know what my workmate does with all the old computers he kept over the years

26. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Another get-rich-quick plan dies the death....

"Auto-Tune can fix anything short of cats fighting in a bag."

Bugger.

Anyone want to buy a good-quality burlap sack, half-a-dozen cats, a complete recording studio / mixing desk setup and a CD pressing plant?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@John Lodge

" you could code IBM 360's to play tunes by generating radio interference."

Failing that, you could remove the 'key click" and use it as a piledriver hammer

"You could also get the golfball typewriter stripper too"

Also available in dot matrix

Paris, who dosen't need a golfball typewriter.............

28. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Whatever happened to

Playing music by paper tape on the old TTY?

Erm, showing my age....better have a little lie down now.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Tee Cee

$50 and you pay shipping to Vancouver Island?

30. Lukin Brewer
    Go

Back in the last century...

...they would have had this on "That's Life". Music performed on strange instruments was a regular feature on that programme.

There was an impact dot matrix printer (9 pin, I think) in the Faculty of Science computer room at Kingston Poly that I'm sure could have been made to play "Uranus - the Magician" from Holst's "Planets" suite if I'd composed a suitable print job. Fortunately for the faculty computing office, I never tried. Not only would it have been a waste of paper, but "That's Life" was still being broadcast back then...

31. plastical
    Go

Bloody awesome.

^

Says it all.

32. Dave
    Unhappy

Ti99/4A

My very first foray into the world of computing was this piece of kit. With it's massive cartridge slot and only 3 cartridges in existence it was cack.

However I took comfort in having to program 14 pages of code to get a tank game that would only fire at the aliens if you solved a math problem first. Playability fail.

33. weirdcult
    Thumb Up

wow

I still have my 800XL.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@steve

Yeah, the old singing amiga disk drive.

Originally i seem to remember that was written as a virus/rouge to wreck a disk drive.

35. gerry
    Thumb Up

IBM 360

Yup,

At school in the 60's. Visit to IBM Hursley. 360 using radio interference "playing" Bach.

would have been 67 or 68.

36. Dave Bell

Games and music...

These old computers were made to play games on, with assorted tuneful beeps.

I once tried to program my TRS-80 as a reference for tuning my guitar, but that involved bit-waggling on the cassette interface.

Uphill, both ways, in the snow...

This topic is closed for new posts.