back to article Peugeot's on-road, off-road ‘leccy ATV

The internet’s awash with wacky conceptual designs for ‘leccy vehicles of one form or another. But Register Hardware’s come across one that would surely steal the hearts and minds of many: the Peugeot Capsule. Peugeot_Capsule_04 The Peugeot Capsule: an on-road and off-road 'leccy ATV concept Dreamt up by South African …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. michael

I want one

but instead of the back pack on the windcrfeen wipers can mine have a multiple rocket pod? for "fox" hunting?

2. Michael
    Stop

Pensioners ....

.....will be riding these thru the supermarket!

I still have chills about the irb bru advert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDhW9Lwepc

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Re: I want one

Just remember not to take your dog in the car with you then. Hunting foxes with dogs is a no-no. Although if you let the dog out of the car and it finds and chases a fox which you then rocket the f*** out of, you'll be fine.

Ain't badly thought out legislation wonderful?

4. Fluffykins Silver badge

Rocket Pod?

FRIKKIN' LASER

5. Pete James

Another irrelevance

It's just another leisure vehicle. On that basis it's nice bit of work, although far from innovative.

What would be better would be to modularise the whole thing. Then you can either own or rent a range of different platforms and power packs to suit specific needs, swapping the cabin between them. Alternatively you could have two cabin types according to what you need to do, swapping them on the platform as needs be. There's no need for you to worry about storing a spare cabin either - just rent it out like a spare room in your house, making some cash every day it's on the road.

So one or two platforms with a range of power and cabin options can satisfy a whole world of demands. Rather like a Land Rover. Which just goes to show how the best and simplest answers have been around us for years.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aliens gun turret

Forget a rocket launcher on the back, I want one of those gun turrets from the tank on Aliens 2 that slides from the back to the roof using the windscreen wiper rails. Fantastic.

More seriously, if the end cost (after subsidy) was in the region of £5k to £7k, top speed of 75mph, reasonable acceleration (0-62 in less than 10 seconds) and a range of 100 miles per charge I'd have to take a long look at one.

Cynically, my guess is that the price of electric cars just went up by £5k in the UK simultaneously with the announcement of the subsidy.

7. Neil

yuk

If only someone could take out my engine and drop in an electric one, even if it means losing the boot to batterys.

We need normal cars with electric motors, not wacky 1 seaters. If the technology can't produce this yet then it's not ready for mass use.

8. Daniel

Ideal for using in an airless environment, certainly

I love the way the manufacturers cover these things in stupid louvres, gussets, a faux air-intakes, to maximise the wind resistence on them. The fact that absolutely everything inside the cab, on these dinky concept cars, is seen as being driven by electricity, is also a great way of mimimising their range. "Where shall we stick the solar cells?" "Why not inside the smoke-effect windscreen, dude?"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Thank god for solar cells...

If you ever forget to recharge it, just park it in the sun in the morning, and take the subway, like everybody else (should be doing...). But I guess you will have to wait a whole week for a complete charge...?

If with a day's charge you can go to work and back... then you actually will never need to "fill the tank" again... that sounds appealing...

Do I have to retrofit my garage with a sun roof, so the car gets an extra charge during the weekend as well? Some people can't even park the car "outside"...

Now, instead of people fighting for a parking spot in the shade, people will want a sunny place to park it instead? That shouldn´t be hard in California, but let´s say, NY?

Another running joke, if you turn on the radio, will the car stall?

10. Rob Haswell
    Joke

Peugeot electrics

Great idea. Because Peugeot electrics are so famous for their reliability.

11. michael

@Fluffykins

think what lasers would do to your battry range *shudder*

12. Tony Hoyle

First get the price sane

£12,000 for that?

Even with the potential £5000 off it's still too expensive. For £7000 you can get a nice small car, never mind a single seater.

Sell it for £2000 and I might be interested.

13. Elmer Phud

Range?

Once all the cameras, screen, twat-nav, computers etc. are up and running will it still have enough juice to get to Tesco?

14. dracotrapnet
    Thumb Up

Just what I need

I need something like this. Compared to a compact electric car, this gets the milage and saves on negative space that I dont need for daily drive to work. All I need is one seat, and a small space for inccidental groceries pickup and space for a laptop backpack to go. I currently have a choice of driving a pickup seating 3 abreast + 2 halves (tiny jumpseats) with a large truck bed or driving a 5 seater car with a large trunk. Lots of wasted space and weight when I just need to drive 30 miles into the city for work and back out. The projected price of 17K USD isnt bad compared to what I paid for my car and truck gasoline vs what I would pay for larger electric vehicles. Bring it on... and bring it to the US please!

15. Justin Clements

one seat

well, thats sensible.

16. michael

re:one seat

obviousley if you buy an electric car you are destend to live and die alone and friendless

17. Niles
    Thumb Up

I want!

Gimme gimme gimme...

18. Mike Bronze badge

i'd consider this...

something like this would be great, i've seen the same concept little 50cc engine mini-cars (and even a mini-pickup), but it's the sort of thing that electric power would suit

although the solar panels would be a joke, that size panels would probably get you about 1 mile of charge per very sunny day...

19. David Beck
    Thumb Down

Health and Safety

The chances of this vehicle meeting any of the safety criteria for a "car" are minimal. Triple the weight for protection of the occupant (air bags, crumple zone, etc), add real mirrors and bumpers, and you might have something, of course the range dropped to 30 miles, and the top speed to 35 mph.

Beck

This topic is closed for new posts.