back to article Attention Symantec: There's a bug crawling on your website

Symantec has been outed for hosting gaping security holes on its website that could allow miscreants to remotely execute malicious code on the computers of people who visit it. The XSS, or cross-site scripting, bugs allow attackers to steal the web cookies Symantec sets on visitors' hard drives. Such cookies are frequently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Raymond Cranfill

Who's Surprised?

It was clear from last month's SNAFU that Symantec is trying to do things on the cheap. That's obvious when a company out sources it customer forums to junior employees to maintain "in their frre time." Perhaps they decided to farm out the expensive business of coding their web site to summer sales interns, but only when they're not involved in making cold calls to flog their pathetic security solutions.

There was once a time when I relied on Peter Norton's products to protect and optimize my computersi. But that hasn't been the case for nearly twenty years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Symantec security.

Oh, you mean that company who has the uber secret password you need to uninstall their software (which should be the first thing you do if you see any sign of it) "symantec"

3. Dustin
    IT Angle

Bet the site is the work of outsourced coders

I'd bet good money on that.

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Down

Just another reason...

Since it changed from Norton computing donkey's ago, Symantec have been crap, no two ways about it. Awful malware crud that's harder to remove that the malware it is supposed to protect you against!

The fact that you have download hacked de-installation software for Symantec products from torrent sites, because Symantec don't want you to remove the nasty little products, says it all!

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"can jeopardize a site's good standing"

Yeah, sure. I'll believe that the day it actually happens. In the meantime, I trust that absolutely nothing will impede on Symantec's "good" name.

The last time I looked at their products was somewhere around 1998. It's been bollocks ever since.

6. Simon B
    Heart

Symantec software IS a bug

I've said it time n time again, Symantec software IS a bug as it is buggy bloaty software! :)

7. Chris Wright
    Paris Hilton

unfortunately

Some of us have to support Symantec Products for 1000's of users because management can't see how shoddy their software is due to the cheapness of the licensing renewals .....

BASTARDS!

Paris: Because I like to think that she's free of bugs ;)

8. Kevin Millecam

Problem Solved

Hi guys, that "exploit" was fixed yesterday (within minutes of when it was reported).

If you're still seeing the error, you've forgotten to authenticate to the site and are seeing cached versions of the error that are, unfortunately, cached by our content delivery network.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like