back to article Open-source iPhone plan to control your home

Two open-source heavyweights and their team have announced a proof-of-concept milestone to control all your home gadgets from an iPhone and iPod touch. The project, OpenRemote, is being shepherded by Marc Fleury whose middleware start-up JBoss ran circles around the closed-source app server big boys before becoming the subject …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Just went to the...

...X10 website. AAAIIIEEEE, MY EYES! So many animated GIFs! Let's hope these guys never discover Flash or the blink tag.

2. Gary F

Yawn

People were controlling their home appliances from their mobile phones at least 10 years ago. Why is it suddenly so amazing to be able to do this from an iphone?

7 years ago I could control lights, CCTV, fans, etc via my phone's primitive web browser. There was even a floor plan of my house with appliances flagged up as on/off. It's still running. The URL is http://... yeah like I'd hand over sanity for public amusement. ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Awe com-on Gary

Where is your sense of humor? I'd only turn the lights on and off a few hundred times a night!

Humm - I should be able to Google the thing.....

4. Tom

typical of Iphone

and mobile phone users as well.

Always in the wrong place! Now if you organised yourselves rather than phone on a whim.....

5. Grozbat
    Thumb Down

Ah!

but, you see, now you can do it on an iPhone!

And, as the Reg well knows, when an iPhone can do something other phones have been doing for years, it is BIG NEWS!

I heard that MMS is coming to iPhone! I can hardly contain myself.

6. Lionel Baden
    Joke

website ??????

MWAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAAAAHHAAA

although seriously i have a headache now i think i better go buy something to make it go away .....

7. DutchOven
    Paris Hilton

Am I missing something here?

I was able to control every IR device in my house the day that I bought my first iPaq. That was 2003. The software came with the device...

Paris, just because.

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Re: Awe com-on Gary

Sounds waay to much like hard work to me. I'd script the process so I could catch some z's while my computer turned his lights on and off for me.

I'd get my coat, but I can't see it as all the lights have just mysteriously turned off....

9. Rob

2 Products

Slingbox and doberman server

You can control everything and watch/listen to all your media at the same time (including setting up the kettle to switch on 5mins before you get home via a web interface).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn V2

Ten years? I recall Stirling Moss on TV in the eighties demonstrating his ability to control his house from his car phone, to the extent of running himself a bath as he drove home.

No news day is it?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Something wrong with my ears?

Did somebody utter "open" and "iphone" in the same sentence?

Paris, for she loves oxymorons.

12. Cortland Richmond

The House That Roared?

Technologies that use home wiring for control or communications are subject to power line noise and even signals picked up from nearby radio transmitters. Imagine pressing the button to stop filling the baht and finding on arrival it was ignored; gives new meaning to the term "car pool."

Or 80 dB of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" at 0230. Ow!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like