back to article Microsoft to cover ‘E74’ Xbox 360 error

The Xbox 360’s infamous three flashing red lights error has returned to bite Microsoft, with the company now confirming that it’ll cover “E74” errors under its three-year warranty programme. E74_Xbox_01 The "E74" error is now covered under the three-year Xbox warranty Image courtesy of 8BitJoystick Microsoft admitted that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Biggest turd ever?

Coming up for 4 years old, and they still can't get the crap to work. I suppose thats what happens when you let a software company try and make hardware.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

p.ha!

They will never get it right, even a firmware update full of so called improvements can cause the RROD.

Lets hope the fan boys have paid out for an external cooling system, like sticking it in the freezer, i doubt that would even work, although it might reduce the noise it makes...

Running for my coat... before the fan boys hit the fan (dont hit the fan.... boys, otherwise you will also get the RROD) **FINGERS CROSSED**

3. Insane Reindeer
    Gates Horns

So is it just me....

Or does anyone else wonder why we only ever hear about X-Box 360 errors? I want to make it plain that I own not one of the current generation consoles, but if I did, I would properly buy from Sony.

However I can't for one moment believe that Sony and Nintendo have managed to build all those consoles and not encountered problems similar to the one in the story? Yes I am sure there must be a fairly large amount of individual cases with owners causing the damage, but what about cases where the machines have just been plain wrong, or designed wrong or had an update that can crash them...

Just a thought...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Insane Reindeer

No consumer product is 100% defect free. However you have to look at how the products where introduced to the market.

Sony and Nintendo launched their consoles when they were ready and had finished product reliably testing, and therefore have failure rates well below 1%

Microsoft were desperate to get in their first and catch the Xmas 2005 market, so did not bother with those things. Hence they have 40% failure rates (even today). Pretty much everything about the 360 design is flawed, right down to the motherboard and case airflow.

5. adam
    Gates Horns

Red ring

Regardless of what other people may say I like my 360 and wouldn't ever sell it. I have a launch console and it's never had any problems.

Nobody likes it when their console dies but at least Microsoft appear to be addressing the issues with modifications to the console and a three year warranty.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@adam

"Microsoft appear to be addressing the issues with modifications to the console and a three year warranty."

Are you for real? nearly 4 years after launch, and the consoles are just as unreliable are the day they were rushed prematurely out the door.

As for the 3yr warranty, when will people understand that:

a) it's not a warranty, it only covers specific issues, there are plenty of other Xbox faults tat aren;t covered (total death, disc scratching for example)

b) they are not providing it out the goodness of their hearts, a FTC investigation forced them down that road.

If Ford recall faulty car parts for replacement, and that can't be called a warranty, not can this...

Still nice spin thou, your masters will be very proud.

7. adam
    Gates Horns

@Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry that you think that Microsoft are my masters because they certainly aren't. As an IT professional I have to work with a lot of Microsoft software some buggy, some not.

I think therefore I am! if that's the case I must be real then.

Not all 360 consoles are effected by these issues, as I said before i'm not.

My launch day console has had no issues. No disk scratching, no red ring or any other problem.

Of course their not providing it out the goodness of their hearts and I never suggested it nor would I. Microsoft are a business and businesses are in the business of making money. Microsoft's culture of trying to make as much money as possible is probably what's caused these issues, as well as them rushing to the market with it. Well that and the huge loss they made on the original Xbox console.

I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't have offered this warranty, limited warranty, guarantee against certain issues call it what you will if they hadn't have be forced or felt like they were being forced to. At least it's now there for the people that do have the issues and at least in certain cases people who have paid for specific repairs in the past have had their money refunded.

Anything is a lot better than nothing isn't it?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where is the old Microsoft?

Seems they have totally lost the plot.

Apache > IIS

Opera > Firefox > Safari > IE

MacOS > Vista (desktop)

LInux > Windows (server)

PS3 > Wii > PS2 > Xbox360

Java > Flash > Silverlight

Walkman > iPod > Zune

Blu-Ray > HD DVD

See the trend, the Microsoft items at the bottom...

About the only things left they havn't totally fooked up, is their developer tools (Visual Studio) and the Office Suite (although with Office 2007, they are clearly working on it.)..

9. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

down with microsoft

MS have bullied their way into most markets, luckily most have failed. They have messed up big style with Vista, people dont want it.

Xbox is a failure, most consoles have been replaced, mine twice. They wont release the figures for how many replacements have been made, only how many consoles have been shipped (these include the replacements) not forgetting the games are at their peak performance wise, they can go much further, so every xbox user will have to buy the next heap of crap with tech that should of been included in the 360 anyway.

As far as im aware, the PS3 is planning on beinging around for another 7 1/2 years, Sony own the Blu Ray rights - it wouldnt suprise me if it appeared on the next Xbox console, but Sony will have MS by the balls, no exclusive games for Xbox "720" using a blu ray disk. Downloads only im affraid!! I wouldnt like to have to download a 20GB - 40GB file to play a game, it would take forever to download!!

Haha!!

10. richard
    Jobs Halo

as a huge mac fan...

i love my 360 and the games are great. it brings "cheap" hd gaming to the masses, it's a nice little (ish) box.

i did have to take it back to toysrus when the memory card flaps broke, and it never starts up first time, and it sounds like a jet engine, and you can't play all old xbox games on it (please why?) but apart from that i enjoy playing it and xbox live (updated) is superb.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like