back to article Nokia N79 Active

You'll have seen from our review of the Nokia N79 that, even in bog standard form, it's an extremely capable multimedia powerhouse, equipped with a 5Mp camera, HSDPA connectivity, Wi-Fi and Assisted GPS. Nokia N79 Active Nokia's N79 Active: complete with hear-rate monitor This latest incarnation, however, is aimed squarely …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bassey

Bluetooth Headphones

Sounds like a prime candidate for bluetooth stereo headphones. That way you can change the music on the fly without leaving the SportsTracker app and you get rid of the wires and weird in-ear sound problem.

2. Richard

Noise isolating headphones

Given the mapping functionality of the sports tracker, I'd guess this is aimed at people running / cycling outside. In this scenario noise isolating headphones are a very bad idea because you can't hear the car/bike that's about to run you down... Normal in-ear headphones would seem a much better option - it's not as though sound quality is the primary concern when working out after all.

Other than that, this looks like it could be a good setup

3. Nick
    Thumb Up

Track skipping works

Having used sports tracker on an E66 for some time now, I can confirm that you don't need to leave Sportstracker to skip tracks on the music - just press the buttons on the remote and it'll happily move forward and back.

The other thing you didn't mention is that when you review your workout you can get it to record each km or 500m split as a lap with split times. It also shows you which track was playing at the time with little musical notes round the route so you can work out which tracks are getting you the fastest times.

4. Frank

@Nick re. Track skipping works

I've never tried track skipping but I imagine it gives you quite a workout. I'd be worried about tangling the rope around my feet and having a bad fall though.

5. shane fitzgerald

skipping tracks

...so you don't actually 'exit' the app you simply switch to the music player and then switch back using the standard task switching controls....

And as others have pointed out and indeed as it clearly shows in the picture on the same page there are music controls on the head phones so you don't need to change apps in the first place...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GPS charges

Can anyone tell me if I have to pay data charges if I just want a GPS track of where I've run, or if the charges are just for using mapping and turn by turn routing? I wouldn't mind one of these to use instead of my Garmin GPS, but not if I need to pay data charges. I can't see why you'd need to pay a data charge to get a GPS signal ?

7. Bassey

Re: GPS Charges

There are no charges for just recording a GPS track. Not sure how SportsTracker uploads the data. If it tries to do it on the fly (doubt it) you would get charged but you could always disabled the data connection for this. I suspect it records it in a standard format and then uploads at your request either over-the-air (you get charged) or when you connect to your PC (so essentially free).

Of course, in most countries, Data packages are so cheap nowadays that I'd say you are missing out on a huge amount of the functionality of these smartphones if you don't have a data package - they are designed to be permanently connected. £5 a month will get you a few hundred MB from any of the networks and most will do a couple of GB for less than £10. You really aren't going to use more than that for standard data. You'd have to be downloading a LOT of music and/or video to exceed that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where do I get it

OK, so I want one (badly), where / when the heck can I get one from?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like