back to article Trafficmaster preps mobile phone drive

The biggest mobile data user in the UK is just about to discover phones. Trafficmaster is expected to announce its smartphone offering in a couple of weeks and is currently recruiting beta testers here. It’s Windows Mobile only at the moment with BlackBerry and S60 to follow. There are no plans for Android, and iPhone is too …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Wow..

So now I can be warned via 3G of traffic disruption five minutes after I've hit it instead of relying on VHF data comms.

The only thing Trafficmaster ever did for me was annoy me. I worked out where the damn box was and ripped it out.

Paris, the whole world knows where her box is...

2. Adam Williamson
    Dead Vulture

Downloaded over the air?

"a turn by turn route is downloaded over the air into the phone"

downloaded over the air into the phone? Good God, this is The Register, not Knitting Weekly. Get your terminology right.

(Actually, the tech issue of Knitting Weekly would be awesome. "Crochet your own NAS! Part 1 of a four part series.")

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Traffic Sensors

"Trafficmaster typically supples[SIC] traffic data to car fleets and other data services, from a network of 7,500 traffic sensors."

People STILL keep removing them though!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

RE: Downloaded over the air?

What a stupid comment.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Based at Cranfield University

So, after their old website with the real-time live traffic data disappeared completely, it has now returned and is playing catchup with the likes of http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/ and other similar Web 2.0 websites.

6. Yorkshirepudding
    Paris Hilton

traffic master

in 3 years of working for halfords i sold approximately 0, nothing, nowt, nada, zip traffic masters and now they go mobile

should be fun!

paris cause her traffic is one way

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ Yorkshirepudding

That's because of two reasons:-

1) Halfords is overpriced

2) Halfords is frequented by Chavs what has no use for the Trafficmaster, m8

8. Trevor Watt

I have been running this for a few weeks

And it works very well. It has a few interface niggles, but it is a Beta. Other than that the route planning seems accurate and it automatically takes the traffic conditions into account when planning.

What I don't know is how much data is going the other way, back to Trafficmaster. It would seem strange that if they had access to my speed on a given road type that they would not use it along with the data from all the other handsets being used to calcualte average segment speeds.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Works in Paris?

Cause this comments section seems to be suffering from Paris congestion

10. Adam Williamson
    Dead Vulture

@AC 9:42

It's really not. Seeing the word 'download' used entirely wrongly in a tech piece is like, I dunno, reading a review of a new phone here that says it's powered by a tiny magic pixie. I mean, tech is supposed to be what they *do*. If they can't get that right isn't it a bit of a problem?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Adam Williamson

What a ludicrous suggestion, everyone knows phones are powered by imps. At least my smartphone is

Bingely bingely beep. [Insert name here.]

Paris, [Insert Here]

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like