back to article Russian schoolgirl invents inertioid-driven Venus rover

A Russian schoolgirl has wowed the crowds at an exhibition of youthful scientific inventions by rolling out a high-tech Venus rover, Pravda reports. Anna Shvetsova, of Noginsk, near Moscow, used “A Step to the Future” to demonstrate her "silvery disk, reminiscent to either a UFO or two bowls glued together" which apparently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lol Whibley
    Coat

Please!

Won't somebody think of the children.. right.. oh..

mines the one with the Kirlian polaroids in the pocket..

2. Steve

That was published in 1982...

Does that mean as i was born in 79 I am a indiglo thingy?

Cool Time to get back to me basement me thinks and continue with me hyrdo fusion generator

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cough, cough, hurl

Yup, there's definitely some indigo in there.

4. Ray
    Alien

Kill them

- unusually large, clear eyes

- extremely bright

- evolved consciousness

- come here [from elsewhere, viz Venus]

- one land, one globe and one species

The message is obvious: these "children" are alien parasites and must be all destroyed immediately and without prejudice.

5. Rich

Lack of Truth

So 95% of the children born between 1972 and 1982 are "sensitive, gifted souls with an evolved consciousness"? I say bollocks.

Maybe Pravda is trying to bury its Soviet-era reputation: "There is no spark in the Truth and no truth in the Spark".

6. David Hagan

What colour are chav's auras?

Because thats all I seem to see these days - the chavification of civilization. This would never have happened in Hitler's day, no sir.

7. goggyturk
    Coat

Seen this before somewhere...

"As small children, Indigo’s [sic] are easy to recognize by their unusually large, clear eyes. Extremely bright, precocious children with an amazing memory and a strong desire to live instinctively, these children of the next millennium are sensitive, gifted souls with an evolved consciousness who have come here to help change the vibrations of our lives and create one land, one globe and one species. They are our bridge to the future."

Isn't this the same as the children in Village of the Damned?

Mine's the one with the dynamite in the pocket...

8. {¯`·.¸_LÅMߤ¥_¸.·´¯}
    Happy

wot no daily mail hoodies?

I believe that children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside ...

9. M
    Joke

Hmm

I think that she probably comes from Pripyat, not Noginsk. That would explain the 'aura'

10. Tom Cooke

Genes

I know that asking this will lend this credibility it might not need, but d'you think there is any plausible relationship between this and the quite genuine discovery that an increasing number of humans are now being born with a changed gene for a protein used in the brain which may give real advantage? (if I wasn't so lazy I'd look up the reference on Google). I saw it on the BBC so it must be true.

11. DZ-Jay

Intertioid engine?

Wait, I thought the whole "Torsion Fields" mechanics was debunked as pseudoscience and a scam.

-dZ.

12. Paul Johnston
    Happy

I for one welcome our new masters!

The Midwich Cuckoos anyone ?

13. Alistair
    Happy

I could do with some new vibrations

I for one would welcome our new indigo aura enabled overlords.

14. Edward Lilley
    Thumb Up

"Evolved consciousness"

As opposed to all the other consciousnesses... they must be intelligently designed or something...

15. Tim

Ummm

Is the Indigo bit some new age hippy shite, or have the Midwich Cuckoos arrived at last?

16. DutchOven
    Boffin

Where do I begin?

First off - if two things rotate in opposite directions then as well all know, there is no movement contraray to the direction of the axis of rotation. We only have to look at those personal helicopters to know that.

As for this whole "Indigo" thing. Mwa ha ha. Pull the other one! That alone would be enough for any sensible person to dismiss this entire story as complete bullshit.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

one land, one globe, one species?

Well, plate tectonics sort of screws up the idea of a return to Pangea any time soon and the one globe idea kind of puts Adventure To Venus in doubt too, but at least we're making good progress on the "one species" thing. Holocene mass extinction FTW!

18. Iain

Apparently...

they "have come here to help change the vibrations of our lives". Well, mine insists on listening to the Charlie & Lola theme all the time, so that means he's one of these purple kids, right?

19. paul brain
    Boffin

anti grav stair lift

Indigo child develops Anti-Grav

Stannah develops the worlds first anti-grav stair lift.

Norah Batty can work again.

Circle complete.

Personally I'd like an anti-grav swimming pool , you know , one that floats

20. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

all makes sense now

so thats what my large clear eyed 3 year old has been doing in the cellar these past weeks, building a stargate. i hope he figures out how to power it...i cant afford the electric

21. Allan Dyer
    Flame

I get this...

with an amazing memory - like "Daddy, you said it was bad to use that word..."

a strong desire to live instinctively - like screaming loudly when they don't get their way, and hitting siblings? "Oh, it's OK, he's expressing his desire to live instinctively."

with an evolved consciousness - unlike all those amoeba, with unevolved conciousnesses

help change the vibrations of our lives - its that jazz/rock/punk/(insert new music type here)

and create one land, one globe and one species - environmental destruction, mass extinction and ecological disaster!

They are our bridge to the future - brilliant, so unarguable

@Steve - knowing our luck, you're the other 5%, and you're just about to create a black hole to swallow us all!

22. Chris Collins

Good vibrations

My life is full or rhythmic vibrations. Not involving children, of course.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for one

welcome our indigo aura wielding young overlords.

24. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

"One land, one globe and one species"

Freddy Mercury!!

inertioid = "forward or rotary motion without physical reaction"

The rotary motion is no problem. That's how an astronaut can turn his body in orbit without touching the walls. Forward motion... not likely. Is this a "reactionless drive" or something? Expect New Scientist to run a cover story which then has to be painstakingly shot down by people who have actual understanding of differential equations and error bars.

I seem to using the Flame Icon a lot. Maybe it's just me.

25. mark jacobs
    Coat

Natural Evolution of Consciousness

Put aside the external, and think in internal consciousness terms hereonin. We still have a long way to go before we realise that all consciousness is shared instantaneously with all sentient beings all around the universe and through all time. Call it quantum dislocation, but the neuronal pathways that make up the subconscious brain are too far apart for quantum energy jumps, but close enough together in the conscious brain. (Google Matt Pitkanen). There you go then. (Shhhh, I AM getting my coat).

26. Benjamin Kunz
    Dead Vulture

Point of this article?

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?forumID=13&threadID=93551&messageID=466670

Hehehe.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

yeah right...

...someone was given the John Wyndham boxed set last Christmas.

- alien, has big bright clear eyes.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Colour me red and call me a sceptic

'Torsional fields' ? Snigger.

No reaction means no inertia, which would mean keeping the centre of mass in one spot so there's no net acceleration. /That/ approach will inevitably come back to bite you in the arse -- sort of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

When 'Shipov’s device' finally boldly went forwards, Mr Duffield neglects the air track as a potential source of kinetic energy - but hey! Working out these scams are fun; my toes are thoroughly kept on.

29. Paul

But...

...does she have big tits?

30. Anon

Wrong date?

Was this meant to be released on April 1st? The suggested propulsion method is a load of tripe.

http://torsionfraud.narod.ru/akimov_shipov_torsion_field/Shipov_Akimov_Torsion_Fields_Inertioid.htm

31. Colin Millar
    Go

Kids today

So 95% of everyone under 38 are aliens?

I thought I was just a grumpy old man

32. A.A.Hamilton
    Happy

Where are the photos?

Can we have some photos please?

And maybe 1 or 2 of the Rover as well?

33. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Can they detect the aura of a "sceptic"?

This sounds like an oscillation thruster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactionless_drive#Oscillation_thruster

These work by throwing an internal mass back fast enough to overcome friction, and make the vehicle lurch forward. The mass is returned to initial position slowly, so the vehicle does not slip back. Oscillation thrusters work fine on a flat uniform surface. They are poor at going up hills, and dealing with surfaces with different amounts of friction.

Oscillation thrusters depend on static friction being greater than dynamic friction, so they do not work at all in space - although they do make impressive demonstrations for fleecing ignorant investors. What colour is the aura of a rich twit dumb enough to invest in yet another impulse engine?

34. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Chav auras

Can you get auras in Burberry check/tartan/plaid/whetever?

35. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Chav auras

Can you get auras in Burberry check/tartan/plaid/whatever?

36. Pete
    Happy

Yeah my kid is one of those

maxed his kindy teachers out on day 4 of pre-school (aged3.5) - by correcting the teacher...

"actually the moon is a satellite."

The next week he taught them about the Large Hadron Collider, explaining that it was an experiment to find out what atoms are made of.

He scoffed at his 5 yr old brother recently, informing him that Jesus wasnt real.

Eyes WIDE open.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hang on, now I understand

Indigo??? started about ten years ago?? So that's what Tinky Winky is all about !

Mystery solved.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Yes of course it's all crap don't you know what happened to Pravda...

.. after the end of the Cold War? After the collapse of Communism, Pravda was left somewhat drifting and directionless, there not being much call for an official State Propaganda organ anymore, and it's gradually degenerated into being some kind of Russian version of the Weekly World News.

Having said that, I'm sure its stories are perhaps now marginally *more* close to the truth then they ever were before, but that's not saying much.

39. Steve Swann
    Stop

Indigo Children

Just did a google search on this subject....

ohmigod, what a pile of tripe!

40. James
    Happy

As a colour purple...

was used in a Sci Fi story when a translation machine tried to translate a "wizards" name.

You only find out at the end of the story that the name was actually: "As a mauve" - or Asimov.

Pretty close to Indigo if you ask me - could Asimov have been the original Indigo child.

BTW what happens when they grow up - do they become bureaucratic grey?

41. Lottie

Autism

The concept of Indigo children IMHO was invented to help parents deal with low level autistic spectrum disorders in their children. "No, he's not autistic, he's Indigo".

Rather than confront the stigma, just invent another word for it and claim that you have sired the saviour of mankind.

42. Chris Williams
    Happy

Not Inigo then?

Nothing to do with Inigo Pipkin of 70s UK TV favourite Pipkins fame?

I guess not, because whatever progress was made towards the creation of a rover vehicle, it would undoubtedly have been sabotaged by Hartley Hare anyway.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I don't know which is more unbelievable...

The suggestion that Inertoid motion has been refined and proven, or that "Russian schoolgirl" didn't trigger the work proxy.

44. David Pollard

Russians are much like us then

Scientology has it that El Ron is alive and lives on Venus. The Vatican, when acknowledging the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe, suggested that some ETs might be without sin. Francis Crick promoted the idea of panspermia to explain the complexity of DNA. NASA's funding would suffer badly without repeated discoveries of life on Mars or the new quest to Venus. And a host of financial instruments are apparently based on similar mathematics...

True believers seem to find these stories quite compulsive; and some of their promoters find they are a nice little earner.

Incidentally, if any of the Reg staff find they are having problems with their aura as a result of working with postmodern conjectures such as this at close range, a pint or two of decent ale and a good night's rest usually provides a satisfactory remedy.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zogg?

http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/zogg/zogg1.html

46. Aaron

D'you think?

"...d'you think there is any plausible relationship between this ["indigo child" nonsense] and the quite genuine discovery that an increasing number of humans are now being born with a changed gene for a protein used in the brain which may give real advantage?"

No, I don't. That would be stupid.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@They are our bridge to the future.

Oh come on. Isn't that the thing EVERY parent says about their little off-lings at some point.

Is this Indigo the same as the purply hue that David Icke raved on about ?

48. Richard
    Happy

My aura is plaid

What's this doing in Science?

Surely anything that mentions aura's in the context of this article immidiately precludes it from being scientific.

Still, it was good for a laugh on a virtual friday.

49. Matthew Barker
    Paris Hilton

Dean drive

Something frighteningly similar was patented sometime back as the "Dean Drive". Except

in the Dean Drive (tm, I'm sure), the weight was slid into the center during one part of the rotation

and out to the extreme over the portion of rotation that was in line with the desired direction of

force.

Sounded like something fun to play with or simulate, but not to patent.

Cheers.

50. This post has been deleted by its author

51. This post has been deleted by its author

52. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Re: Indigo and Autism

Replying to lottie's comment that Indigo is another word for HF autism/Aspergers. That's actually not correct. Indigo was originally coined by New Age fluff bunnies to describe children who had never received a single day's punishment in their lives, and were therefore out-of-control brats. Rather than face up to the fact that their children were monsters because they were too fluff-brained to actually instill a little old-fashioned discipline, they just changed the name. Indigo children were also supposed to be psychic and have all these amazing spiritual insights; as evidenced by the fact that they would tell the most outrageous lies in order to manipulate their parents and avoid getting in trouble for being little monsters.

The proper fluff-bunny term for autistic children by parents who don't want to admit that they're autistic is "Crystal Child". The advantage to this term is that parents get to refer to themselves as Indigos; and thus consider themselves more highly evolved than the rest of us amoebae. So they can ignore their children's real problems, and get an ego boost at the same time. Former Playboy Playmate Jenny McCarthy is the epitome of this fluff-headedness.

53. Kevin Reader
    Black Helicopters

New discoveries are rarely applauded though...

Just a cynical thought although this propulsion theory probably is 99% bunk.

Think of the distinct lack of enthusiasm that contemporary science showed towards global warming when it was first suggested. Scientists were ostracized. Now its the accepted mantra and anyone saying different is similarly badly treated, especially as there is money, politics, tax and prestige involved in the new status quo. Didn't string theory, quarks, etc all suffer for their acceptance. Blimey even Galileo had a really hard time. Then the vested interests were politics and the church, now its money and politics.

Tip: If you have a sci-fi power source - use it quietly and secretly yourself (with a cover story) or sell it straight to a government, or wait until the fossil fuels run out. Then you might be safe. Perhaps. Helicopters cos if this happens they'll probably collide as different groups fight to steal it and/or eliminate you.

54. Richard Kay
    Boffin

Auras are not a new observation

Just look at the halos in religious art. I guess the simplest explanation is that these observations are evidence of synaethesia of the artists and mediums who depict and report these things.

The Wikipedia article on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia claims one person in 23 experiences a genetic form of this condition.

55. Stevie

Bah!

Azathoth on a bike, not this thing again!

The last time I saw this was in the 70s, using a gyroscope precessing on a mount that was resting on a sheet of ice. A weeek later I saw the same apparatus debunked.

Easy to show that the net motion is in fact a frictional effect: simply mount the "drive" on a flat platform resting on a table covered with a loose assemblage of ball bearings. It'll go backwards and forwards til the cows come home (or until two of the ball bearings bind up together and give the thing some net push to get it going).

How the Russians ever got to be a world-threatening power when they waste their time on this sort of nonsense is beyond me. They'll be claiming people can read with their elbows next.

Oh, hang on, they already did that too.

56. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@DutchOven - Pull the other one!

They're pulling one all right; but it's not the one you suspect.

Anyway, they're all Zombots.

57. ian mccallion

More on inertiod propulsion fraud

http://torsionfraud.narod.ru/akimov_shipov_torsion_field/Shipov_Akimov_Torsion_Fields_Inertioid.htm

58. Mr Mark V Thomas
    Paris Hilton

Re: Crystal Children

So I'm a "Crystal Child" according to those New Age fluff bunnies, as I was born what would be now called Asperger's Syndrome, in the mid 60's, & when I was young, medical treatment proposed for me, & my behavioural problems, included Electro Convulsive Therapy (ECT for short) , & a possible lobotomy, if that failed ...

Reading the description of said parents of Indigo Children, I can't help wondering if they have undergone ECT...

Mine's the one with the Psi-Corp pin on the lapel, a pair of black leather gloves in one pocket, & a Phased Plasma Gun in the other....

59. cordwainer
    Boffin

But unclear on the concept of language?

Ms. Tappe's statement, "This phenomena is happening..." would seem to indicate that Indigos [note we have graciously removed the extraneous apostrophe] will free us from reliance on such mundane concepts as singular and plural. Of course, she must be correct, since she can predict the future.

We eagerly awaits the day of releasing from the tyranny of grammar and individualness, a glorious revolution when all myriad's of humanitykind is as ones.

I feel my aura blueifying already.

Moods Indigo, unite!

This topic is closed for new posts.