back to article Trekkies enjoy surprise Star Trek premiere

Fans of Star Trek in Texas got an unexpected treat on Monday when they became the first to see the much-anticipated new film. Instead of a premiere on Tuesday in Australia, Trekkers attending a event in Austin Texas, organised by Ain't It Cool News, were the first to see J.J. Abrams reboot of the franchise. Star Trek …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

oh boy!

48 hours or less the movie is on tpb!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Live long and Milk it..

Reminds me of the old joke, Star Trek, it's continuing mission, to circle around our television screens until everyone is heartily sick of it.

AC, being flamed by a geek who is wearing cheap klingon prosthetics is not on my list of things to do today, I'd die of laughter and I have other stuff I need to do first..

Paris, she's been around, and around, are you heartily sick of her yet?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trekkies and Trekkers

I read the headline and was all set to criticize The Register for using the word "Trekkies" but then I read the article (what, me? actually *read* articles?) and saw that the article redeemed itself in the 2nd paragraph with the word "Trekkers" - the Reg must be trying to cover all bases. Shucks, guess I'll have to look for something else to lambast then ;)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

That's just great..

.. now I've gotta spend the month with my fingers in my ears humming loudly and staying off the internet to avoid all the spoilers that are no doubt out there.

5. Edward Miles
    Go

Bah!

You missed the best quote of the event!

"It MELTED MY PANTS"

That's how good it is apparently!

6. Lol Whibley

so..

where's the Cam? obviously not as populare as Wolverine..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Preaching to the choir?

A very smart move by the studio. Make them think they're 'lucky' to see the whole film as a 'surprise' before the rest of the world and they'll be eating out of your hands. Positve reviews all round.

8. Stu
    Alert

Yeah I'm sure if ...

... Nimoy and film crew turned up at our local Showcase Cinema and told the local crowd they'd get a surprise screening they'd all be syked up enough to love it by default, and give it great reviews at the end. Lets face it, its a well engineered publicity stunt.

Now lets see how well it does in the 'real' world with no celebrity appearances shall we?

I personally have high hopes for the film, but am having a spot of bother 'believing' the new Kirk and Spock actors. The Shat brought his own distinctive character to Kirk, I don't believe the same character can be brought out of this new guy whatever his name is. We'll...see...shall we?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Rollicking yarn

"set against the backdrop of time-travel and a battle against the Romulans"

Time travel?? Glad to see they're continuing the tradition of implausible plot lines for the movies, and a long history (pun intended) of James T. arsing about in the past!

Hope it's as fun as some of the better movies... :-D

10. George

This actually looks watchable.

Whether I would like to actually go to the cinema and be seen to be going to watch is something else.

DVD for me I think.

11. Greg

Pity the storyline is horseshit

It's supposed to be an "in the beginning" thing, but the beginnings of the Enterprise have already been explored, and this seems to contradict them in every way.

And don't get me started on the Enterprise series... NX-1701 my arse.

12. Ross Fleming
    Coat

New trailer??

Get off. It's the second trailer that was released donkey's ago with a small clip of Nimoy living long and prospering bolted on to the end. No doubt doing a slingshot round the Sun to appear in the film.

13. Frank Bough
    Stop

Stu

...syked?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Prime Directive of movie making?

Let the sleeping dead lie. If you're not going to come up with something totally new, just stay home. The whole premise is "To boldly go where no one has gone before" Not "To painfully rehash already covered ground because we can't think of anything better"

15. iamapizza
    Thumb Down

It's not a treat

It's not a treat, you dimwit, it was a torture session. And those weren't Trekkies/Trekkers. The real ones would have hated it with every ounce of their souls.

16. Bod

Re: Preaching to the choir?

Exactly. Plus I'm sure all the fans who were remotely interested in watching the film are those who have decided they'll like it anyway. And anyway they are likely kids under 25 who are less familiar with the old shows and movies, actually liked 'Enterprise'(!), and more likely to accept this continuity abomination 90210 teen movie, and are wowed by fantastic effects that gloss over the fact it's pissed all over established history.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Stu - Hattie Jacques as well?

"they'd all be syked up enough "

Cool, I've never heard of a combined Star Trek and Eric Sykes convention before but it might just work.

18. Yorkshirepudding
    Thumb Up

barstewards

as previously mentioned ill have to sit with my fingers in my ears too. either way cant wait for it to come out despite the cries of enough all ready

19. Matt
    Coat

i'm waiting

for the Spock to remove Kirks brain, trying to 'learn' how to pull green alien birds.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@iamapizza

I AM a trekkie and already I hate the film with every ounce of my soul.

Sulu

21. Another Anonymous Coward

Continuity on this one is a kicker...

.. Time travel reset thingy means that, the events of every single other star trek show and movie never actually happened.

All those many years of memorizing your star trek fact files binders have gone to waste.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Brilliant. Cancel the premiere tickets then. :(

Great, so the cinema that was supposed to be launching the premiere, and their customers, the people who bought tickets thinking they'd be the first... have been stooged. Bet that premiere place will be having words with the distributor.

Really not an auspicious start to a launch, by lying to their outlets and fan base.

This topic is closed for new posts.