back to article Sunshine

There's an old adage that science-fiction movies tell us more about today than tomorrow. Sunshine, from Trainspotting and 28 Days Later director Danny Boyle, arguably goes further: it has its eye on the past as much as the future. Sunshine - image courtesy Fox Searchlight Pictures The movie-making past, that is. Sunshine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Grant

Yeah sort of...

I thought it was pretty good, especially for the relatively tiny budget.

I don't think the other captain was sent insane by his sunburn and lack of company; his insanity caused it. You see the same thing start to happen with the psych on the new crew, who can't stop staring at the sun and starts to get the same sunburn that the other captain had (presumably symbolic - would the "filters" let UV through?).

Anyway yeah, quite cool and creepy. Same sort of feelings that Event Horizon generated. And many physics holes to pick at, if you like that sort of thing :)

2. Tony Makos

appreciate your comments..

..but i don't think you can judge the film solely on a comparison to 2001. If anything it was more like its sequel 2010, an underrated film which sure, removes a lot of the mystique and esoteric nature of its predecessor but on this basis does therefore have more in common with the more down-to-earth (NPI)Sunshine.

I loved iti, despite a number of flaws. It was good to see 70s sci-fi alive and well in 2007, and a pleasure to go to the cinema and see something engaging and great to look at.

However, please stop comparing it to Mission to Mars - i'd rather jump into the sun myself than have to sit through that crap again.

3. Patrick Evans

Spoilers, anyone?

Oh great. A review that gives away the ending. Thanks a bunch.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Warning - spoiler here -

Thanks for telling me the ending.

5. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re. Spoilers

I don't think this is a film you're going to spend much time troubling over WHAT happens at the end. HOW it ends is another matter, and you'll have to pay your eight quid to find that out.

6. Chris Collins

Looks like one

2010 was bollocks. Hmm, where's the gravity come from? Why is this film really boring? Event Horizon was ho-hum (yawn, look we plucked out our eyes. I'm so scared. Alien was scary, not this). This sounds like a tired old hasbeen of a movie. You've just said it's not as good as 2001, yet apes it. If it looks like a turd and smells like a turd then it probably is one. That's what I get from this review. Silent Running - there's a film about the misery of space, done 30 years ago. And that one with Kirk Douglas and Bad Lieutenant going nuts. Saturn 3, that's it.

7. Allen Foster

In space no one can see you.... float

I rather enjoyed the film apart from the complete lack of explanation as to why the crew were experiencing some sort of artificial gravity.

At least 2001 had some sort of explanation with the rotating main 'life pod' but in Sunshine the crew were seen to be experiencing gravity along the longitudinal axis of their craft.

To be fair simulating artificial gravity during filming ( a la Apollo 13 ) was probably out of the scope and budget of this production but they should have at least thrown in some sort of explanation, no matter how far fetched.

8. Lloyd

Bahhhh

It doesn't matter about the ending, you'd have worked it out half way through the film anyway. The whole film's ripped off from 2001 anfd Event Horizon both of which are superior.

9. Mike Moyle

...Amusing...

"I rather enjoyed the film apart from the complete lack of explanation as to why the crew were experiencing some sort of artificial gravity."

Um... We're sending a *single* (as in "one") ship to rekindle the frickin' *SUN* and the fact that they have artificial gravity bothers you...?

If we have the technology to (say it with me) Restart... A... Star... then, presumably, minor details like generating artificial gravity and, hell, lighting and heating the Earth WITHOUT NEEDING a sun, should already be off-the-shelf technologies. (...probably drives that would allow us to get to the vicinity of the sun in less time than the movie's actual running time, but I won't go there...)

...And Captain PINBACKER...?

No!!!

Really...?!!?

Is this file some sort of post-millennial remake of Dark Star...?

(Whose turn is it to feed the beachball?)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

don't bother

This film is really bad. It is derivative and boring. There was not a single element of plot or character that hadn't been cut'n'pasted from elsewhere in cinema but without the charisma. I didn't give a toss about the characters and by half way through I was hoping that heat death would overcome the cinema before the end so I wouldn't need to watch the rest of it. All of which is a real shame because I'm a fan of the previous Boyle/MacDonald/Garland movies and was expecting something good

This topic is closed for new posts.