back to article Irish Blood Transfusion Service endorses Dracula

We're delighted to report that the Irish Blood Transfusion Service is giving its full support to Dublin's "One City, One Book" - an annual initiative "designed to encourage everyone in the city to read the same book during the month of April each year". Splendidly, this year's recommended read is Bram Stoker's classic Dracula …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

This message brought to you....

by Bram Stoker's estate......

2. Lottie
    Thumb Up

that's pretty neat

I like the idea of trying to get an entire city to read the same book.

I also love the idea of encouraging people to read more.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Bram Stoker's book

is one you can realy sink your teeth into

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh???

'Francis Ford Coppola didn't make a bad hash of it with his fairly faithful cinematic adaptation'

Okay Lester have YOU actually read the book?

FFC's adaptation was the cinematic equivalent of having a cheesegrater run over the eyeball - a movie so staggeringly bad it almost eclipses Keanu Reeves 'English' accent.

But not quite.

But the book - awesome - especially the ship's log.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Van Helsing went about his work systematically.

Holding his candle so that he could read the coffin plates, and so holding it that the sperm dropped in white patches which congealed as they touched the metal, he made assurance of Lucy's coffin. Another search in his bag, and he took out a turnscrew.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well said, Mike

The FFC movie is NOTHING even remotely like the book. The book is a stroke of genius and reads incredibly well even today. It really makes you mentally project yourself into the situations described and is incredibly evocative.

How can FFC's hash (although visually quite fun in places) be described as a "fairly faithful cinematic adaptation". It's quite, quite silly and frankly awful.

7. Sabine Miehlbradt
    Go

For a faithful adaption

Try the BBC radio drama in 7 parts. That's a good one - like most BBC dramas.

8. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

I do not drink...

...Guiness.

This topic is closed for new posts.