back to article Asus Eee Linux-based Skype Videophone

Appearing a somewhat solitary member of the Asus Eee product family, the unique AiGuru SV-1 Videophone stands alone in more ways than one. At around 25cm tall, with curves akin a to Brancusi sculpture, this tabletop unit bearing a widescreen 7in LCD features built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi and a rechargeable battery to deliver round- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nick Palmer
    Thumb Up

Sod the phone...

...I think beach girl may just have been supplanted in the affections of a sizeable portion of the Reg's Eee-perving readership...

Seriously, though, it does look fun - shame it can't be either cheaper or more functional; either would do.

2. Gordon Stewart

A Good Start

This looks like it could eventually be quite a nice product... asuming that it sells well enough for Asus to come out with a 2nd generation version that addresses the shortcomings. £220 is also a bit steep, mefinks.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What for?

As far as I can see this is basically a netbook running skype for 220 quid. It seems over priced and rather pointless.

4. Andraž Levstik

@comes with full source code

No it does NOT it lacks the key piece of source code... a Skype Client

5. Luis Ogando
    Happy

Touchscreen? Dead People..?

First I was unimpressed with the unit's lack of touchscreen. I mean, why not? Everything has a touchscreen nowadays. Seems a pointless omission to me.

But then I was TOTALLY impressed by the fact that you can call your dear departed ones. Even fictional characters like Steptoe!! I can't wait to get one and call The Three Stooges...

6. Frank

It's Too Big!

Yes, too big. If you're willing to carry this thing around, why not get a second hand 701 or a 901 and then you'll have a real computer that does other things besides Skype and also folds neatly in two when you're not using it? It would also last a lot longer that 20 minutes when off-charge.

7. simon
    Paris Hilton

gwfaarrr 220 notes ???

honestly 220 quid ? for that I could but thier eeepc (and have btw) and use that as a skype phones, and have pics shown internet radio etc etc 220 is also wayy above a 3 skype phone too.

paris cos she might buy one

8. E

Interesting

Presumably ASUS will iron out the wrinkles. What it really needs is 802.11b/g/n though.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Put a cover over the mic and camera

They should put a cover over the camera and microphone, because it's only a matter of time before it's hacked, or bugged by the Stasi.

When you accept the call, you flip open the mic/camera cover to accept the call.

It would be a pity if they created a Telescreen by accident given the nature of those in power at the moment.

Otherwise, looks nice.

10. Stu
    Stop

Conversation with Asus' sales guy...

Lets see now...

Looks and style - check.

functionality - check.

connectivity - check.

Price - half check.

hot marketing model - check.

Brilliant!

Whaddaya mean it only does Skype!? Throw it out!

I mean they couldn't have made it multipurpose could they? We're looking at getting hold of some MS Office Communicator phones at our place, and this wont do that? Aside from the video and audio protocols, all it needs to do is talk SIP!

Talk about limited.

11. Mathew White

Your fired!

Amstrad Emailer for the new millennium.

Probably share in the emailer's bowl-over success as well.

12. Chris J
    Boffin

Is it simple enough to be used by Grandma?

As that is the only real point of this phone as far as I can tell.

13. W
    Thumb Down

1.6kg / £220 / 20min battery

An EEE 701 can be had for less than £100. It would be lighter, cheaper, and run for longer. It would give you a lot more functionality and connectivity. It'd have a better form factor too, rather than being the nebulous blob that it is. This waste of space looks like a (bad) student design project. 65% rating? Bearing in mind all of the above, it barely deserves 5%, surely.

Siralan's Amstrad Em@iler machines looked to be more useful pieces of tech.

14. Goat Jam
    Paris Hilton

Why

Why is the babe taling on the vidphone with Slugworth?

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=slugworth&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=QmnZSZniApOTkAXhhOTWCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

Also, I thought we already figured out that people don't want vidphones?

Paris, because I would make an exception on the vidphone thing if she was on my hotdial!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like