back to article Swedish web traffic tumbles as IPRED arrives

Internet usage in Sweden took a dramatic 30 per cent dip on Wednesday, as the country’s new anti-file sharing law came into effect. According to Netnod, which measures web traffic access points between five Swedish cities and international networks, internet usage was 30 per cent lower at 4pm on 1 April, compared to on the eve …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get the facts right please

Its not an anti-file sharing law, its an Intellectual Property Rights law.

File sharing can be completely legal

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

And in the Entertainment vs Pirate Bay trial

the charges have been whittled down by the prosecution to "drunk in charge of a modem".

3. Ash
    Happy

So?

TPB never hosted copyrighted content. TPB doesn't have the details of people who do.

Andnothingofvaluewaslost.

4. Dave

Repeat after me...

"Its not an anti-file sharing law, its an Intellectual Property Rights law"

Believe it now? Ok keep going then...

5. David Berglund

Excercising caution 'til Ipredator goes live...

I guess many of us swedes are waiting for VPN services like TPB's Ipredator to go live before we get back to doing major crimes like sharing copyrighted art. There are other services to choose from until then, but Ipredator has the most kick ass name, plus I, and many of whom I know, want to support the guys behind TPB the best we can.

6. lusuwzhgdfdk
    Stop

Which is it?

Compare "Swedish *web* traffic tumbles as IPRED arrives" with "*Internet* usage in Sweden took a dramatic 30 per cent dip". Which is it? Web or Internet?

(hint: those are not the same!)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Bear found crapping in woods. And in other news...

"Many are predicting that - regardless of the outcome of that trial - whichever side sees the judgment go against it will issue an appeal."

You don't say?

I've tried to chose an icon representing the kind of intellectual who would not be making that kind of prediction.

ps. Is Ms. Hilton's grumble-vid available on TPB?

8. steogede

Re: Bear found crapping in woods. And in other news...

> ps. Is Ms. Hilton's grumble-vid available on TPB?

I would guess so, if it isn't it is the only part of the Internet that hasn't been touched by Paris.

9. darkmooink
    Pirate

@lusuwzhgdfdk

you are right but one dose include the other so if web traffic falls then net traffic will as well (unless another net traffic increases) so that those statements can be true. but unless the Swedes are really bad at finding the torrent i doubt that web traffic would fall that much.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ "Andnothingofvaluewaslost."

You're obvious not one of the artists watching their work being merrily zipped around the networks with no recompense every day then.

I love the way in the BBC licence fee thread so many whined on about "TV's all crap nowadays", but don't seem to equate the loss of revenue from illegal file-sharing with perhaps at least having some influence on this decline in quality?

11. Toastan Buttar
    Thumb Up

One Night In Stockholm

"ps. Is Ms. Hilton's grumble-vid available on TPB?"

Ho yus !

Erm.......so a friend told me. I don't have a computer and can't access the internet.

12. Dave Bell

90% of everything.

So TV is crap, these days?

Nothing new there. Anyone recall Bless This House or Selwyn Frogget? And the people on camera had talent.

But maybe there's stuff we can't afford to make any more, not because of less money but because it has to look better. It was common to see a tropical island made up of studio sets and stock footage. Now, you have to go on location.

I don't see downloading as the killer.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@AC 15:09

If only the money was going to the artists instead of the artists having signed away copyright to labels and studios for a song. But hey, they've got "moral rights".

Digital+internet has broken the business models of artist (gives away to) label/studio (who floods) shops (and rips off) consumer. It's now artist (gives away to) label/studio (who floods) shops (who sell a few to) consumer (who then share with) other consumers.

The good news is that it's likely that the new model will be artist (gives away to) consumers (who then donate/visit concert/buy merchandise from) artists and the artists -as a whole- will get more income because of it.

14. RW
    Alert

@ AC re "merrily zipped around the networks"

Let us hypothesize a perfect world in which online piracy of intellectual property does not occur. I doubt that the "artists" would see a single red cent more than they do today.

Is anyone else sardonically amused that when serious terror threats remain on the radar screen, government piss away valuable police and legal resources supporting the movie and music industries' obsolete business models?

I must add that the true reason for the movie and music businesses to fight so hard to preserve their dinosaurian businesses is that otherwise they won't have a ready supply of cash to pay for cocaine. The pliancy of governments in helping them to this end suggests that a lot of pols have a certain habit too!

15. Alex
    Stop

@Anonymous Coward

>> "I love the way in the BBC licence fee thread so many whined on about "TV's all crap nowadays", but don't seem to equate the loss of revenue from illegal file-sharing with perhaps at least having some influence on this decline in quality?"

And I love the way people spewing on about the poor downtrodden artists and producers don't realise that it's the other way round.

16. wim
    Happy

@ @ "Andnothingofvaluewaslost."

have a look here and try to understand

http://xkcd.com/552/

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I'm a freetard

If I can no longer torrent B-grade movies (aka: everything from Hollywood) for free then I won't.

No great loss there.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like