back to article Intel trades ownership for popularity on mobile Linux project

Intel is handing over its mobile Linux effort to the Linux Foundation to stimulate broader interest. The Linux Foundation will run Moblin's developer events starting next week in San Francisco, and it will host Moblin's infrastructure and forums, executive director Jim Zemlin told The Reg. Zemlin noted Intel developers would …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Could it be that the Open...

Source Community is generally underwhelmed with Intel's support for them on other platforms? Like all of them. If that is the case and Intel wants acceptance in one area perhaps they should be helpful in other areas.

Intel need to remember that many of these people work on more than one project, in their spare time, for nothing but the satisfaction of doing good work. So if the community feels slighted by a company why would they JUMP on the bandwagon to help them.

Intel need to release more hardware specs sooner to the Open Source Community. Then they might be wiling to lend a hand to other projects that Intel would like the uptake of.

2. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Of Princely Pandoras ..... and Zonking Zeldas

"As the Moblin project unfolds and grows... the coolest thing for me on this one is we will see a lot of new, interesting devices that blend industrial design and cool hardware experiences with super-interesting software experiences," Zemlin said. "If we can achieve that, we are on to a winner with this."

Hmmm? Correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds far too much like a Quant [Quint] on a Big Phish for Great White Hope Sharks, to be anything Different than Chummy Bait for ITs Ultimate Predatory Virtual AIMachinery ....... Absolutely Fabulous Applications of Base Source CodeXXXX ...... which would maybe definitely not be something to achieve, but rather more probably something which is donated in ITs Blitzing, as in Lightning Enlightening, AIR&dDs ........ Scorching Earthly Enterprises and Right Dodgy Establishment Practices with Advanced IntelAIgents Research and digital Developments ...... and all XXXXStreamly Neatly Packaged in a Post Modern Danegeld Memorandum of Mutually Beneficial Understanding. ....... Ye Olde, UScratch my Broad Back and I won't claw ur Broken Back Great Game Play and Ploy that doesn't Take Either Prisoner or Suffer the Leading Fool.

Flow ur Power for to Control Everything with Kind Words and Steganographic Ultimate Declarations ....... Penultimate Warnings/Offers for Confirmed Confirming Fools* to Ignore, but which can never be Refused for they and IT are always Open and on the Table for Signing Away on the dDotted Line.

* Confickered?

3. The BigYin

Interesting

Will they be expanding this effort to cover other platforms?

4. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    Boffin

Intel still don't get embedded

... ever since they did a "low power" 386-based system-on-chip for the Nokia 9000. Embedded devices need the *latest* fabrication technology, with low-power, low leakage chips, with trinky-dink power management schemes. Not some desktop/laptop castoffs.

Rememer, the Atom's 4W TDP is over an amp out of a 3.6V Lithium cell!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

@ amanfromMars

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly.

I'm crying.

6. amanfromMars Silver badge

Virgin on the Ridiculous

"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly.

I'm crying." .... By Anonymous Coward Posted Thursday 2nd April 2009 13:54 GMT

AC,

The Plan is 42 Fly First Class.whilst Frying/Toasting the Opposition. :-) ...... Then ITs Crying all the Way to the Bank

7. TonyZ
    Thumb Down

WTF?

Thumbs down to "The Foundation"

Quote- "...but one year into the project it made the fundamental decision to switch kernels - from Ubuntu to Fedora - and adopt new tools, graphical user interface and middleware."

Ok, So the "Linux Guru's" switched from one pussy flavor of Linux to another... WTF? Oh WAIT! I know... Fedora included some "canned" support for a device Ubuntu didn't.

What happened to going to kernel.org, downloading a kernel and compiling it to your system? What happened to writing your own tools? I could go on...

Point is, If the "Guru's" are just grabbing at DISTRO's, they are doing just that... Might as well just switch to windows mobile... Bloatware is Bloatware... at least choose the most "polished" piece of shit if you're going to deploy shit.

Starting out with a lightweight "generic" kernel and a GUI like E-17's mobile flavor would make a great start... basing your tech on something mediocre that was based on something good is well, mediocre at best.

8. Rob Beard
    Linux

Switching kernels from Ubuntu to Fedora

That's not switching kernels, Linux is the kernel, Ubuntu and Fedora are simply distributions of GNU/Linux (so the GNU tools and the Linux kernel with a bit of magic fairy dust and extra stuff added in for that lovely penguiny goodness).

That's good of Intel anyway, I'm looking forward to when some of these tweaks are added to desktop distos, and in theory since it's probably mostly released under the GPL or other such friendly licence we could possibly see other versions of Moblin based on <insert favourite distro here>.

Rob

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like