back to article Romanian phisher gets 50 month prison term

A Romanian man has been sentenced to serve more than four years in US prison for taking part in a sophisticated phishing scam that cost financial institutions at least $150,000. Ovidiu-Ionut Nicola-Roman, 23, of Craiova, Romania, received 50 months in federal prison, followed by three years of supervised release. In July, he …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personally...

...I think the term should be 'phisherman'.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Re: Personally...

Shirley, in this day and age, it should be 'phisherperson'?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think the term should be ten years

This dud or dude got off easy. Ten years in the slammer would be more reasonable.

4. Colin Wilson
    Paris Hilton

What are the odds...

That this guys' sentence will be more harsh than those given to bankers for fraud, such as Madeoff...

Paris, because you've seen the goods she has to offer !

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

@David Wiernicki

But: "No credit for good grammar"

Tough.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@ Colin - What are the odds...

That goes without saying. I mean, these Romanian "phisherpersons" didn't give multi-million dollar kickbacks to the politicians responsible for trying their case!

Black choppers and AC for obvious reasons...

<CARRIER LOST>

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I'm waiting for the McKinnon defenders....

Oh - so suddenly nobody has a problem with *these* guys being extradited to the US and jailed?

Oh - wait, I know, I get it. They don't have *cough* Asperger's, do they? *roll eyes*

8. Colin Wilson

Re: McKinnon

There's a difference between idle misguided curiousity and mooching through an already insecure system, and deliberately targetting and emptying bank accounts on purpose.

If you can't see the difference, feel free to publish your bank account details - remember to include the CVV just so we know you're still in possession of the card.

The other disparity is that McKinnon is accused of "costing" the US Gov hundreds of thousands of pounds to fix their *already* broken security - he isn't responsible for breaking it, he just used it while it was already broken.

The guy "phishing" meanwhile has caused real, and possibly irreparable damage to his marks' finances.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like