back to article Seagate sneaks content round your home network

Seagate's new FreeAgent Theater media player product relies on sneakernet to cart digital files between a PC and the TV. In the home, the network is not the computer and networked storage is not the norm, although many, if not most, PC-using homes now have a broadband link with a broadband router acting as the Internet gateway …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dick Emery
    Thumb Down

so it's the same as...

...a Western Digital MyTV? The WD seems a beter deal to me and has better file support plus longer time out for firmware updates.

2. Lee West
    Thumb Down

What the.....?!?!?

What a cracking idea, but the whole kit is as ugly as sin!

It looks like it's been based on the old NES from the 80's

3. RPM

The Price is Not Right

It seems this retails for much more than that EUR 99 though :-( A quick google shows the 500G unit ST905004CED1E1-RK at around UKP 190...

Or has the pound dropped further than I realised!?

4. Albert
    Thumb Up

WD TV HD

I bought a WD TV HD in December. It does the decoding, but uses external storage (2 USB ports) It has HDMI and Composite connections so ideal for new HD TVs. It's a small discreet box that I think looks quite nice.

The one thing it lacks is network capability. Well, so really smart people have hacked the Linux on it and have added support for networking so it can read network shares....

Check out the following for the latest.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100062

So, for £100 it does all the local media stuff with external drives. Add a USB network adaptor and the updated firmware and you can use it as a media client over your network.

I expec this space is going to get very crowded this year as drive manufacturers want to sell more bigger drives and as the chip sets catch up with the media codecs.

5. Nick Pettefar

Unable to Read and Comprehend?

"Seagate's FAT Media player is a device to organise and play digital media files."

"It has no in-built storage ... "

So no 500GB units!

If you want superb, get an Apple TV. Storage, network, connections, looks, organisation, flexibility, etc. Just don't lose the tiny remote!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like