back to article PC firms slammed in latest Greenpeace eco report

Dell, HP and Lenovo have all seen their eco-friendliness scores slashed in the latest edition of Greenpeace’s Guide to Greener Electronics, which conversely saw Apple and Philips gain notable mentions from the environmental organisation. Greenpeace_GGtE_ver11 Greenpeace's latest eco assessment of top tech firms The guide …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Down

Kudos to Nintendo

Feck off Greenpeace. You are irrelevant.

2. David Edwards
    Flame

Life cycle

Not a fanboy of anything but how do they reconsie a usual 1-2 year lifeitme of a mobile phone (Nokia) against a 3-5 year lifetime of a console (Nintendo)?

A Green consumer is still consuming......

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Curious...

Given the "look how green we are now" (which always amused me as I remembered how green they weren't in previous years) TV ad for Apple which has been running in the UK, I had expected something more from them.

4. Adrian

Nintendo

Nintendo are last. Is that because they don't provide details for the survey?

5. Kevin Johnston

Ho hum

This would be so much more meaningful if Greenpeace didn't have a history of making headline use of bad science to fit their own agenda. Any credibility they may have had went out the window when one of the oil companies wanted to sink an oil rig to dispose of it. Greenpeace got involved and whipped up the unwashed masses with their 'protect the environment' rants to the point that in a number of countries petrol stations were getting firebombed and the oil company eventually agreed to bring the rig ashore to break it up.

A few months later Greenpeace turn around and say 'oops, you were right all along, it would have been safer to just sink it'. Millions of Pounds in costs to everyone (since insurance companies were involved and you know how they like to spread the bill), extra helpings of bad feeling between oil companies and the public, and Greenpeace? well they just keep on keeping on...unelected, unaccountable, uncaring and very unconcerned. I wonder what brand of computer Greenpeace actually have?

6. Mike

Hmm

Is this the same chart that put Nintendo in last place because they don't actually provide any info, rather than any perceived 'eco-crime'?

7. TeeCee Gold badge

I, for one....

.....will continue to select products based on functionality, quality, independant reviews, price and appearance (where applicable). After I've purchased whatever it is, if I'm feeling particularly bored I might just hop over to see how it's manufacturer fares in the ratings for a "meh" moment.

As for commending manufacturers for using recycled plastics in packaging, surely cardboard and paper would be infinitely greener and just as fit for purpose here anyway?

8. David Gosnell

Why?

Why does anyone pay attention to this nonsense? Even the biggest tree-hugging hippy I know slams it as a load of distorted twaddle. It's well-known by now that Nintendo rate so low because they refuse to play with Greenpeace's toys, and I would imagine they are far from alone in that.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nintendo

Like myself - and all the people who buy these things - couldn't give a toss what Greenpeace say.

10. Richard Cartledge
    Black Helicopters

Greenpi$$

Greenpi$$ make me want to throw up.

Has Icke told you about them? Do you know anything? Here is a factoid to start you off. Their latest offices in Germany cost $60 million and their yearly income is $200 million. Lots of people volunteer because they think it is a good cause. Do you feel it is a good cause? Do you have the tee shirt? No doubt these parasites flew to Cupertino in a chartered plane and Apple donated a million dollars to them to thank them for their 'advice' and for 'highlighting their issues'.

11. James Hughes

Best send my Wii back...

Not.

Whilst admirable in it's efforts, does anyone actually take any notice of these figures when buying a product?

12. Greg

Awww, Greenpeace are cute

It's adorable watching them talk out of their arses and judge the entire world.

13. Paul
    Thumb Down

Perhaps

Greenpeace should f*** off and go back to harrasing whaling boats. This scale makes things worse rather than better by encoraging greenwashing and changing chemicals based on whatever the sandle warers at Greenpeace have dicided is the big nasty this month.

14. Matt Siddall

rubbish

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the reason Nintendo does so badly is that they refuse to fill in the survey forms that are used to determine your score. It's not actually to do with how green you are, but how green your policies are, and how willing you are to fill in forms...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

PVC Free?

I have been working with 3 major OEM's for the last 5 years on PVC free products and not a single one of them is going to do a thing because it may cost a couple of cents more, the lip service they pay to the green cause is beyond a joke, the tech is here and now, but until there is legal force behind it there will never be anything more than PR spin from 'Western' companies. The Japanese and Korean's take these things far more seriously.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Micrrosoft?

Ahhh... of course.... it'll be the lead paint.

That'll be why they call it The Blue Screen of Death.

17. 4.1.3_U1
    Paris Hilton

It's all very well ...

... but there aren't really any credible incentives to be green - like who gives a shit?

18. DR

Am I the only one

who notices that they are very quick to highlight when companies have become less green, putting a big white arrow to show where they were.

but the same cannot be said of those companies who are making big improvements.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like