back to article Future looks bright for video ads

The revolution will be televised but you'll have to sit through the ads first. In the new Simpsons movie, President Arnold Schwarzenegger declares that he "was elected to lead not to read", and now advertisers are trying to ensure literacy is not a pre-requisite for consumers they target oonline. Video advertising is set to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Go and make a coffee

If I'm going to get video adverts forced down my throat before I can access a website then, if its a site I really want to access, I'll go and get a coffee or go for a pee or something. If it's streaming adverts whilst I'm using the site then I wont use the site at all because it would drive me mad.

What's this crap that McCormack came up with: "carrying advertising presents a way to deliver this content for free,"

Free?? Its my bandwidth and I PAY for it. If I choose to go to YouTube and watch crappy (illegally uploaded) videos and use up my bandwidth then that is my choice. Using my bandwidth up to deliver video adverts to me for products I don't give two figs about is not my choice (Is it actually "stealing" my bandwith?).

Any site that forces video ads on its end users should be treated in the same way as sites that insist on playing the site owners taste in music (usually crap) all the time you are there. Delete them from your favourites and go elsewhere.

Also when McCabe stated "we expect that it will become a popular format"... popular with who?

2. Steve Sutton

So, video is the future eh?

echo "127.0.0.1 video.spam.cnuts.com >> /etc/hosts

.. and other methods which will prevent it from running as soon as it becomes an annoyance.

3. A. Merkin

Pull Advertising

A site dedicated to hosting (just) ads could be actually successful. Today, consumers use the text-web to search for product information prior to purchase ("Pull-Advertising").

Vendor Ads and "How-To Use Product X" tutorial videos could be useful to people evaluating products (and existing owners).

Push advertising is wasteful because it can't be precisely targetted. For instance, I'm only interested in seeing car commercials every 10 years or so, and will personally never buy feminine hygene products.

4. Steve Sutton

Oops...

Yes, I know, I'm hanging my head in shame right now.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"you can get more attention and more interaction from the viewer"

Oh you'll get my attention all right. I will do my utmost to get a filter add-on for my browser, or remember to not go to that site anymore if I can avoid it. At the very least, you'll gt a mouthful of names and words you wouldn't want a child to hear, all carefully directed in your general direction, give or take the precision of an ICBM.

Media and marketing directors are all of the same ilk : they believe with fanatical strength that people want their "products", but they would most probably go nuts if they actually had to see ads like us in all the everyday activities that they have.

The day I will accept ads in every aspect of my life is the day they have giant screens along golf courses that yell "targeted" ads to the players all day long.

This topic is closed for new posts.