back to article Game designers deconstruct their 'art'

A lot of hard-core gamers like to argue over whether video games should be considered "art." If they're not, these three characters have brought the medium awfully close. Today, San Francisco's Game Developers Conference hosted a gaming design panel that included three of the industry's most respected developers: Fumito Ueda ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shinku
    Heart

Power Rangers

"There's the sequence with the giant robot, Liberty Prime, that acts as the game's climax. The original pie-in-the-sky idea was that he was about five times the size he ended up, and you rode in his head"

That sounds like an awesome start to a Power Rangers game... You could play as a Power Ranger in a Zord, then you have to combine with the other Zords and you'd get to control Megazord and you'd have a view across the city and...

...alright, alright, I'm going! Mine's the one with the Green Ranger in the pocket.

2. Modeller
    Pirate

Duh

I only tried to play Oblivion and had finished Follout III. Frankly, the story of both games did not impress me much. Nice graphics in Fallout III, but this is not the fault of the game designer.

3. Wyrmhole
    Heart

Game design as art?

And this (the responses) is why you shouldn't ask such questions. "Framing"? Are these people from the 18th century?

4. jai

shadow of the colossus

one of the most incredible games of all time, the sheer scale (ha!) of the idea - such awesome graphics. no one knows much about what Team Ico are doing with their 3rd game, but with it being a PS3 title, it's going to be incredible. and judging on their graphics work on Ico and SotC, you'll be able to pause it, take a photo of your telly, and hang it on the wall

5. James
    Flame

not so sure about it being "art"

As a game developer, I've always felt uncomfortable saying that what the games industry produces is "art". I always have this little Rik Mayal in the back of my head saying things like "Art? Arty farty farty! How far up your backside is your head!?" It just sounds too pretentious trying to make out that what we do, is to be taken seriously and has something more to say than "play me and have fun".

It doesn't help that a great many designers are usually failed film makers in some way or form. As much as I admire the work that Kojima has produced, especially the Metal Gear series, you can't ignore the fact that his overly developed cut-scenes and trashy dialog are the product of somebody who would rather be making movies.

If you take the individual elements of a video game, some of them can rightly be considered art in their own right, especially the graphics and overall visual style. But the gameplay isn't art, I'm sorry. It's something completely different, more directly related to great board games than it is to any sort of "art form" in my opinion.

The sooner the games industry stops trying to validate itself by comparing what it does to the music or film industry, by trying to aim for some sort of "high brow" validation by saying that it is art, the better. Given the amount of money the industry generates as a whole, and it's pretty small size, I would say that this is all the validation that we need. We make games, things that people enjoy. Isn't that enough?

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So he gets his ideas on the toilet ?

Well, now I understand EA Games ! Somebody tell them to change their diet, maybe we'll get better games some time next century.

7. Pete
    Coat

Poop

Suda said through a translator. "I will go to the bathroom and try to poop and then I'll come up with a new idea."

explains why most games that come out these days are utter shit.

Mines the one with the copy of the original Prince of Persia in the pocket.

8. Frank

If it works for him......

"I will go to the bathroom and try to poop and then I'll come up with a new idea."

I'm sitting with my EEE 901 carefully balanced on my knees, There's a faint echo as I type this. I can't seem to produce anything as yet. I'll send an update if anything happens.

9. Tony Paulazzo
    Happy

Art is...

Of course games are art. Art is holding a mirror up to the universe. When you choose the colour scheme for your front room you are creating art, when you take the perfect dump and show it off to your girl, you've created art. Art isn't some high falutin' intellectual pursuit it's looking at a gorgeous sunset with eyes that enjoy the beauty of its existence.

Mind you, the frankly turgid story in Fallout3 was particularly bad (as in stupid thick) art, but the vista' were amazing.

Art is... a smily face!

This topic is closed for new posts.