back to article AT&T to sell no-contract iPhones

AT&T will begin selling no-contract iPhones next week in the US, but they'll still be locked into AT&T service. The Associated Press reported today that an AT&T spokesperson has confirmed that the company will being selling the 8GB iPhone 3G for $599 and the 16GB model for $699 - $400 above their contract prices - beginning …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MadonnaC
    Stop

Why pay that much?

Buy regular contract phone, pay for 1 month (to avoid having to give phone back), pay $175 early termination fee

Result: Same phone for $100 less

2. kain preacher

Pop Quiz

Who Else other than ATT uses SIM cards in the US. Verizon does not. Sprint does not.

3. Hunde Kotze
    Go

Quiz Answer

T-Mobile. Best customer service of all US mobile carriers.

4. MacRat
    Go

T-Mobile US

Yes, T-Mobile US rules. Much cheaper than ATT for the same service.

5. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

My phone is a phone, not an all singing, all dancing, single point of failure hydra.

6. DZ-Jay

Re: Whatever.

Ah. It seems you're the guy who hasn't tried the iPhone yet.

-dZ.

7. Danny

aye

Good for you jake, good for you.

Not that I would buy an iphone either. Im happy with my omnia.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Bloody hell...

$599 minimum for an MP3 player with a substandard quality phone attached and you get to look like a gay estate agent into the bargain!

Amazing value.

You gotta hand it to Steve and his crew, they really do know how to find suckers.

Paris, the best sucker...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Hey look, an iPhone article...

I've no interest in buying one but I'm still gonna read the article and post on it stating how disinterested I am and how much I don't want one.....

10. Mark Malley

Out with the old...

Time to clear out the existing inventory before the new model comes out.

11. PushF12
    Boffin

AT&T and T-Mobile plans don't perfectly overlap

I've got telephones on both AT&T and T-Mobile. At first glance, AT&T and T-Mobile offer similar plans for the iPhone, but they don't perfectly overlap.

For people that use few minutes and much data, AT&T is probably better, especially with rollover. The in-network discounts and freebies make a bigger difference than you might think. The AT&T data network is noticeably faster and larger than T-Mobile. Both companies have soft caps at 5GB. Tunneled voip over 3G works fine in metropolitan areas

For people that do the opposite, the MyFavs plan is worthwhile. You can game the MyFavs contract by doing everything though a VOIP repeater. (eg: Buy a local VOIP DID. Forward DID to cellphone. Add DID to MyFavs. Add DID as outbound calling card. Put the DID on your business card and keep the actual cellphone number a secret. T-Mobile base plan + $5 VOIP buys unlimited minutes in most markets.)

12. jake Silver badge

@DZ-Jay @AC 12:24

DZ-Jay scrive: "Ah. It seems you're the guy who hasn't tried the iPhone yet."

Wrong. My wife has one. She hates it, and has gone back to her Nokia 5185 for day-to-day life. She's still paying on the contract (rather, her company is), so we fiddle around with the iPhone once in a while, but it's really not all that useful ... we have single-purpose kit that does everything the iPhone does, but does it better. The interface? Whatever. Glitter doesn't get the job done.

What kind of name is "DZ-Jay"? Sounds like glitter ...

AC: Maybe I'm trying to make people think, instead of believing everything that the marketing departments of the world try to shovel down their throats. Tilting at windmills, I know ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like