back to article Ofcom plots out wireless mic future

Last month, ITV sold off its 70 per cent share of JFMG, the organisation that manages spectrum used for programme making and special events. But at the same time, Ofcom published research into the future of PMSE, concerned largely with how to get rid of it. PMSE users currently lurk between the analogue TV channels, supplying …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy
    Thumb Down

Yay, another triumph.

Ever tried using a digital mic on an analogue set (tv or theatre) using multiple mixed feeds?

Results are you get more lip sync problems than a Grecian 2000 (That's called Just For Men now kids) commercial - Result, bemused cast, technicians and audience.

Ofcom really should talk to programme makers more, this *do anything to sell off the frequency* strategy is becoming detrimental to lots of folk now - not just national broadcasters.

2. jon
    Flame

money grabbers

but where does the money go?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

The strategy doesn't even work

Selling to the highest bidder means the public gets the worst possible result. The highest bidder is almost certainly the company that is going to charge the MOST for whatever service it chooses to provide on the frequency.

Bandwidth should be regarded as a strategic asset rather than a financial one, with the contract awarded to whoever can guarantee the best and most cost-effective service to the public at large. For that, then needs of "indirect" users such as theatre, radio and TV audiences who don't use the frequencies themselves, but still derive benefit from them, has to be considered at least as much as the frequency end users and with far greater weight given to their requirements than the profiteering of the companies who bid for the licences.

4. Rich

Not just mics

You also have radio pickups on guitars and stuff.

I think you can engineer around the latency, but it's an expensive hobby for short run equipment - much easier to use an old fashioned analogue radio.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Digital, Digital, Digital

There seems to be a complete obsession with going digital for absolutely everything, If something doesn't have the word digital in front, then it's perceived to be crap.

I see the word digital applied to devices which are intrinsically analogue in nature! It's crazy.

Digital does NOT mean better. DAB is a testament to that.

Digital radio, digital aerials (hang on, all aerials are analogue devices!), digital TV (what's wrong with a conventional analogue tv with a freeview box?!)

I get shed loads of issues with my Humax video recorder to do with lip syncing but I don't know whose to blame, the broadcaster or Humax?

Mics are short range devices and low bandwith FFS ! This isn't a high power FM broadcast transmitter covering a 20 mile radius!!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Madness

I use radio mics most days for low cost corporate shoots. Due to budgets I have to use the license free frequencies which work well in general. Keeps the costs down.

I'm guessing that most small operators will stick two fingers up to Ofcom and will continue to use their existing kit. Half decent portable kits (portable receiver and beltpack tx) start at about 400 quid so we'll be purchasing equipment when we are good and ready. How much are these digital kits going to cost? Not cheap I think!

In addition many conference venues own radio mics but don't have a clue how they work (and often don't know what frequencies they use). Can't see those guys stumping up.

In short the entire thing is a disaster and thousands of users will continue to use their analogue kit in the way they see fit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like