back to article Taiwan supplier fingered in Apple touch-screen netbook rumor

A touch-screen netbook from Apple is coming later this year, according to a report by an Asian industry-watching website. We believe that the truth may be more interesting than the rumor. Taiwan's DigiTimes reports that the Chinese-language daily Commercial Times has said that Wintek, a Taiwanese manufacturer of flat-panel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

finger action

I've been waiting on the slew of netbook touchscreens

The new intel [finger my] classmate convertible is good except the the 4 hour battery and no one seems to have stock.

Asus next on the list, just hurry up and ship them dammit.

2. Matt Bradley

$500 computer

"We don't know how to build a sub-$500 computer that is not a piece of junk."

ed:

"We don't know how to build a sub-$500 computer."

There. Fixed that for you.

3. Chas
    Gates Horns

@Matt Bradley

The smell of fear is palpable when you hear people make such a jejune comment, one that is neither funny nor original. My nine year old can (and frequently does) do better than this.

Come back if your IQ ever struggles into double figures.

=:~)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Matt Bradley

Uh no.

iPod Touch. Sure it misses cut n' paste but that's a software, not hardware, issue.

On all other counts its a computer. It certainly isn't a piece of junk.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Matt Bradley

How much was the Newton ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Newton

The last para on "Future" is interesting - though, as the Reg article states, a large pinch of salt is required (and this could have been edited by anyone).

Apple have to do something interesting in 2009 - the updates to iMac and MacBook this year were trivial.

6. Joao Pereira
    Coat

Will it be an SCC? I really doubt that?

It might be small and it might be a computer but it certainly wont be cheap,

It probably wont be a piece of junk and certainly wont be under 500$...

Mine's the one white the apple logo sleek netbook sticking out of the poket.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Matt Bradley

Now you should know better than to invoke the wrath of the Khaki-wearing, Apple Fanbois! They can put most religious fundamentalists to shame with their zealotry!

8. Matt Bradley
    Flame

@Chas @AC's everywhere

Oh dear. I'm A Mac user myself, but seem that even so my gentle jibe is still capable of enraging some slavering MacTards.

Sad to see that some my fellow Apple users playing to type. Honestly: I'm ashamed to be associated with you lot. It really is embarrassing.

As regards touch screen mobile computing and internet access. Erm... iPhone anybody? Why would Apple build a nasty cheap mini laptop when the already make one of the best portable internet devices on the market?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Matt Bryant

Matt… apparently some people wonder why Mac users are such a bunch of c***s!! It’s like you question their manhood when they go for the nice looking kit, especially when beauty is in the eye of the beholder…

Probably going to get flamed here, so AC to save myself the trouble.

10. Bod
    Paris Hilton

sub-$500

"We don't know how to build a sub-$500 computer that is not a piece of junk."

Err, Steve, ask Samsung.

What he really meant though was

"We don't know how to market a netbook and con people into paying $1k for it"

Though if they flogged a $1k netbook, Apple nuts will still buy it. One of the few groups of people who are actually prepared to pay more money for things, not less. They even may be too embarrassed to be seen paying sub-$500 for something!

Paris - wouldn't be seen dead paying sub $5000 for something.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Netbook? Apple?

Ah, that would be a neat fit into Apple's product portfolio.

Maybe with:

+ earphones & mike for fully hands free operation

+ audio guidance from an onboard GPS+ feature through 'phones or BT'd to car sound system

+ neat battery plus a suitable external power system

Sub $500?

Only if the market could support a super spec bit of kit alongside a sub $500 bit of kit.

Maybe Apple should get into emerging markets too? If so a pincer approach would seem to pleasantly introduce Apple standards to both emerging and traditional markets?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like