back to article Discovery ISS gig go for Wednesday

NASA has given a green light to Discovery's STS-119 mission to the International Space Station following a review of a potentially troublesome hydrogen flow control valve. The shuttle will blast off from Kennedy Space Center at 9:20 pm EDT on Wednesday (01:20 GMT Thursday). Discovery's launch was previously knocked back …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Great New / Poor Article

Great New / Poor Article

This is great news. Considering the ISS is entirely ‘all electric’, it will certainly help the power budget.

The article however sounded like it was written by a middle school, ‘want to be cool’ child – using words and terms like ‘gig’ and ‘next jaunt’.

All this serves to do is to minimize the program and the heroic work of the astronauts.

To the author -

'Dude..', get a job you’re good at. I hear McDonalds may be looking

2. Ilya Stavinsky

To see UFO in the night sky

This Friday, 03/13/2009, I will be in Manhattan (71 str & Broadway) from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. to show people AFOs (Aliens Flying Object). People, who live not far away are wellcome to witness the existence of AFO in our Earth' atmosphere. http://sites.google.com/site/s...capital1/Home/aliens

3. b166er
    Coat

@OP Oh I see,

you're new here ;p

Mines the journo's mac with the hat worn 'jaunt'y style.

4. twat

Give them Miller Light

instead of installing a urine recycler give them Miller Light. It tastes the same.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Sigh...

I had tickets to go view the launch, but now they've dicked the time around so much, and on such short notice that I can't get off work to go. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

6. Mike
    Stop

@b166er

>>you're new here ;p

Of course he's new here, he said:

>>All this serves to do is to minimize the program and the heroic work of the astronauts.

In what way are they heroic? jeez they couldn't even get a cat out of a tree, they want to be in space because it's cool, they are risking their lives for an opportunity that almost nobody gets, it's not heroic, to call them heroic is to minimise what a real hero is*.

Astronauts are not heroes, it's the same as a 200m freediver or someone who climbs everest without oxygen, great achievement and everything, cool but not heroic, can you buy hero status? was Dennis Tito (the first space tourist to the ISS) a hero or just a bloke wth a lot of money?

The article was written with a degree of triviality, it deserves nothing else.

*e.g. Any Fireman

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

It's not rocket science!

Oh wait...

8. Colin Miller

ATV's panels?

The ESA's automated transfer vehicles have their own solar panels to power them. These are lost when the spacecraft re-enter. It would seem sensible to make the ATV's panels compatible with the ISS so that they are kept up there; ATV has batteries as well, it can use those for re-entry.

9. Andus McCoatover
    Coat

@Sigh...

Do what us Brits do - "throw a sickie" - i.e., call in sick. Unless you've mouthed off about going to the launch to your boss, in which case, look for a black bin liner* § on your desk the morning after.

*Used to be a glass of brandy and a one-shot revolver, but the world's getting civilised nowadays. Guess a '"pink slip" is the custom this century. Oh, puhleeze don't get me onto those gay duckie's again..

§ Disclaimer - nothing to do with Obama bin Liner, or whats-his-face called nowadays.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like