back to article Boffin unveils facial expression-controlled iPod

A cute girl winking at you on the bus may soon, unfortunately, no longer be a sign that she’s hot for you. Why? Because she might just be controlling her iPod. That’s because Kazuhiro Taniguchi, from the Osaka University in Tokyo, has designed a gadget able to control an MP3 player using pre-defined facial expressions. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Great interface!

Combined with an eyetracker- and some more subtle head motions- it could finally give a computer game style interface for wearables!

Want to turn on your wearable's WiFi? Look at the WiFi logo on the screen and waggle your ears a couple of times! Much easier and more hands-free than either press-button on your arm or bring up a two-hand virtual display.

Also, don't like certain people? Upload a different config file to their MP3 players. Have them stick their tongues out to turn off their music. "HEY, TURN OFF THAT DAMN RACKET!"*sticks tongue out* *wakes up in intensive care*

2. Alex
    Thumb Down

agh! my eyes!

what the hell is going on with the "dick tongue"

wrong, so very wrong!

3. Chris Phillips

Wow

Quite some tongue there, lizard lady.

4. Daniel Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Is it my imagination

or does she have a forked tongue?

It appears the Lizard Army has just assimilated itself some rather fetching recruits!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

This project is totally

going to cause such trouble on the underground. And bring an end to listening on the ipod during sex. But if it is going to monitor how often I eat and sneeze, can I twitter the stats?

6. Rowan Moore

Is it me or...

..is she sporting a severed (and slightly flattened) John Thomas from her mouth?

7. muzchap
    Dead Vulture

Ouch

How will this work for people with nervous twitches or muscle defects? They'll be shit pissed off about their iPod not working properly.

I know mobile phones saved people who used to talk to themselves whilst driving, from lots of embarrasment and now it looks like this might do the same for those with jittery nerves. It would be kinda unnerving on public transport watching everybody 'gurning' - reminds me of the days of GOOD ecstacy and illegal raves - i guess I'm now old enough to moan about progress officially, so here it is - THIS IDEA IS RUBBISH - NOW FCUK OFF and DO SOMETHING USEFUL :) - XRay specs are still up for grabs!!!

8. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

Thank you very much!

So not only have mobile manufacturers blighted the sedate trip home on the train by encouraging some trumped up little shite-hawk to bleat about his or her meaningless existence, now we will have to tolerate the sight of several people who look like they have St Vitus Dance, trying to operate the MP3 player on their mobiles!

Thank you very much indeed! I love progress!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Weird...

Is the girl in the piccy one of those lizard people?

Clam.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very nice

Reminds me of Asimov's 'silent' mic that monitored the movement of the throat (or was it the jaw bone?) Wonder how sensitive it is.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stupid idea

I did my thesis on controlling devices using non-standard HCI.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that people blink, wink and perform other facial gestures hundreds of times each day and are not even aware of it.

Unaware that is until they plug in their iPod and they're sent skipping around their music collection at random intervals.

Twatballoons.

12. 4a$$Monkey
    Thumb Down

Why?

Get the boffins back on something useful like flying cars or breeding monkeys with wings!

13. Cameron Colley
    Happy

Not sure about the interface...

... but I'll take the model over the Asus EeeEEEeEEEEeeeeee girl any day of the week.

14. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

I hope it doesn't become too popular...

Welcome to NatWest.

Please enter your account number.

Thank you.

Please enter the fourth and ninth characters of your pass phrase.

Thank you

Please make your security face.

Thank you.

Do you want a reciept with this withdrawal? Wiggle your ears for yes, flare your nostrils for no.

Thank you

If you would like to be contacted by a financial advisor, please stick out your tongue.

Gesture not recognised.

Gesture not recognised.

Gesture not recognised.

Gesture not recognised.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like